PDA

View Full Version : How rare is the inside out backhand?

Rickson
04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I hit them once in a while on serve returns, but I can't remember the last time I hit one during a rally. The inside out backhand is one of the rarest shots in tennis.

baek57
04-10-2008, 10:30 PM
i'd imagine because in order to hit one the ball would have to be on the forehand side of the court... and most people prefer to hit forehands.

mmeyer1
04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I hit em every chance I get, as long as I have time since it is a much better shot than my CC FH.

(Blank)
04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I think it all just depends on the player. For me, I'll take my two-handed backhand return over my forehand any day because of the stability of it. There's been also many moments in rallies that I hit the inside out backhand to throw people off, but then again, my backhand is my better shot anyway.

stormholloway
04-10-2008, 11:39 PM
It's a good shot because nobody expects it.

elee3
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I hit my backhands to the forehand side somewhere between 1 out of 10 and 1 out of 15. Against people who commit to a side very early, those backhands usually end up being an extremely easy winner.

My backhand to their forehand side is very good but I'll keep the ratio like that. I like watching people slip on shots that aren't really blasted into a corner. :)

ShooterMcMarco
04-11-2008, 12:22 AM
I hit that shot quite often and it works pretty well, good element of surprise.

(Blank)
04-11-2008, 12:36 AM
You could also try taking that inside out backhand up the line for a real surprise. It's not exactly what you call a safe shot but it usually leads to a weak reply. Also depends on how well you can hit your backhand.

kimbahpnam
04-11-2008, 12:38 AM
I feel like there's a big margin of error because you're most likely hitting to his forehand (for right-handers) while leaving a wide open court. You'd have to be pretty precise...make sure you make it a tough shot for him

Sentinel
04-11-2008, 02:40 AM
Rickson, Its great for a DTL (on duece side) as someone here said, when coming off a CC. To hit a FH, you would have to back off/step back, giving more time to the oppo, and the angle will never be as good as with the i/o bh.

Unless you mean the ball is on your FH (wide) and you run around it to your BH. I'm referring to a CC, and its coming at your body or slightly left, so you hit it DTL, without having to run around.

Djokovicfan4life
04-11-2008, 04:03 AM
I hit them sometimes, but usually it's because I hit too late and it actually turned into a good shot accidentally.

futuretoptenner
04-11-2008, 04:11 AM
I only really hit them if I get a short ball. Otherwise I just rally backhand to backhand.

TNT16
04-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Works great for hitting behind opponent who is typically scrambling already to cover the anticipated standard cross court BH.

Sentinel
04-11-2008, 06:58 AM
I only really hit them if I get a short ball. Otherwise I just rally backhand to backhand.
We are talking about the deuce court to deuce court, not ad-court. So instead of the usual forehand, the person is hitting a backhand.

Rickson
04-11-2008, 07:02 AM
DTL is not inside out! Inside out backhand means the ball goes left for a righty and right for a lefty, jeez!

TNT16
04-11-2008, 07:06 AM
DTL is not inside out! Inside out backhand means the ball goes left for a righty and right for a lefty, jeez!

Right but often enough you find yourself in the middle of the court and can hit inside out into the corner . . . to me that would not be DTL . . . you don't have to be running around your forehand to hit this shot.

Rickson
04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Right but often enough you find yourself in the middle of the court and can hit inside out into the corner . . . to me that would not be DTL . . . you don't have to be running around your forehand to hit this shot.

If the ball lands in the middle of the court, I'm hitting a forehand even if I have to run around a backhand. The only time I'd hit a backhand in that situation is if I got stretched out wide on the deuce and there was no way I could recover in time.

dakels
04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I actually love this shot on a 2H BH. It usually throws off your opponent. The problem is that in many situations it's difficult to execute due to the amount of time you need, and the inside out movement is generally harder for most people on BH side. I, along with most people probably can't generate as much spin either as you would whipping it crosscourt. I think you see more inside out BH's from slower games and doubles play. Fast moving singles make this shot extremely difficult to prepare and hit, especially when most people require more setup for the BH then their FH. I also feel the wrist pronation control is a bit more difficult on the BH side.

Another reason why I personally don't use it a lot is that I, being righty, can really curl and spin a ball away on the left side (cross court). I may get topspin kick on inside out BH, but not that curving curl away like I would whipping my FH on the outside edge of the ball.

split-step
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
It's not rare if you play doubles. That's pretty much the shot I go for on second service returns when I am playing duece court doubles. Angle it out to the doubles sideline.

LuckyR
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
If you play doubles on the deuce side, it is your go to shot for return of serve and is the reason that many/most prefer the ad side, since it is such a tough shot.

Rickson
04-11-2008, 08:36 AM
If you play doubles on the deuce side, it is your go to shot for return of serve and is the reason that many/most prefer the ad side, since it is such a tough shot.

I already pointed out that I hit some on serve returns, but I feel it's rare during rallies because you're almost never in a situation where you'd hit your backhand inside out. DTL, yes, cc, yes, but inside out, almost never. The IO bh is definitely done more in doubles by the player who's on the deuce side than in singles.

boojay
04-11-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuw8zHKesHI

Heh, methinks Fed didn't mean for it to be THAT good. My guess is that it was a partial mishit, not in that he framed it, but his racquet face angle produced a slight slice/sidespin shot when he was probably trying to do topspin. In any case, he's probably stored that shot in memory, as well he should. I've done accidental open faced backhands before that have been pretty effective, but not purposefully done.

Djokovicfan4life
04-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Heh, methinks Fed didn't mean for it to be THAT good. My guess is that it was a partial mishit, not in that he framed it, but his racquet face angle produced a slight slice/sidespin shot when he was probably trying to do topspin. In any case, he's probably stored that shot in memory, as well he should. I've done accidental open faced backhands before that have been pretty effective, but not purposefully done.

Haha, Gimelsuck had to ruin another good moment by saying idiotic stuff like "INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE TENNIS!"

split-step
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Haha, Gimelsuck had to ruin another good moment by saying idiotic stuff like "INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE TENNIS!"

lol ha ha ha

Rickson
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM

That was barely inside out. That can almost be considered dtl.

fastdunn
04-11-2008, 11:10 AM
yeah it's like somewhere between inside-out & dtl.
i also try this shot mostly at serve return in doubles.
i can sometimes fool servers by swinging cross court but hit inside out. i open racquet face a bit and contact tad late. it's a tough shot. i think i've seen these shots more often in late 80's and early 90's. becker and edberg days. in those days, there were more varieties in 1 hbh because you needed more specialty shots in all court games.

LuckyR
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I already pointed out that I hit some on serve returns, but I feel it's rare during rallies because you're almost never in a situation where you'd hit your backhand inside out. DTL, yes, cc, yes, but inside out, almost never. The IO bh is definitely done more in doubles by the player who's on the deuce side than in singles.

Sure, in singles, but in doubles (with the netman) it needs to be done more often than not.

boojay
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
That was barely inside out. That can almost be considered dtl.

That was an inside-out, DTL backhand winner. He was standing near the middle of the court and there was a distinct inside-out trajectory. What you're talking about is probably an inside-out, crosscourt. The former is much more difficult to execute as there's less room for error (i.e. less court to hit into, higher net clearance.) Which means I win and you lose, Billy Biscuit ;P.

Bungalo Bill
04-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I hit them once in a while on serve returns, but I can't remember the last time I hit one during a rally. The inside out backhand is one of the rarest shots in tennis.

Only if I absolutely have to or if a gun was held to my head. In other words, rarely.

BlahDow
04-11-2008, 03:22 PM
ya the only time i hit inside out backhand is when im returning a serve and dont want to hit it to the guy at the net u_u

quicken
04-11-2008, 08:28 PM
my friend does it all the time, hes BH is way more consistent than his FH, thats one of the reasons why he does it.