PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Big Ace Tension??

jman
04-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey, I just received my set of Big Ace and was originally going to string it at 60lbs. My racquet (Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1 16x18) suggest to string it between 55lbs to 65lbs. But the Big Ace strings recommend 48lbs. Which one should I follow, the racquet recommendation or the string recommendation?

ChrisNC
04-11-2008, 01:58 AM
BA has great retension, so go low. I like mine at 50 and there are lots of others around here with sub-55 setups of BA.

jasonbourne
04-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I used to play with a PS6.1 Classic. At the time I played all-court 4.5. I would go with your racquet recommendation and would have strung it at minimum 60. On the other hand, you did not indicate your playing level and style. Hence, I'm not sure how helpful we can be for you.
If you're an advanced baseline player, then you can string closer to 55.

Babb
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I have my Big Ace strung at 64... :D . Perhaps too stiff for some, but so much control...

nickb
04-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey, I just received my set of Big Ace and was originally going to string it at 60lbs. My racquet (Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1 16x18) suggest to string it between 55lbs to 65lbs. But the Big Ace strings recommend 48lbs. Which one should I follow, the racquet recommendation or the string recommendation?

Whats your normal string and tension?

supermario343
04-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Mines strung at 54 lbs. on my K90..but w/e u feel like I guess is what you should go with

jman
04-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I used to play with a PS6.1 Classic. At the time I played all-court 4.5. I would go with your racquet recommendation and would have strung it at minimum 60. On the other hand, you did not indicate your playing level and style. Hence, I'm not sure how helpful we can be for you.
If you're an advanced baseline player, then you can string closer to 55.

I'm sorry, coming from Australia I really don't know how your ranking system works. But if it's any help I usually play Division 1 in all the competitions I play. I guess I would describe myself as an developing all court player with a aggressive baseline game. I use alot of topspin. Also, I'm recovering from tennis elbow.

My usual string tension 55lbs.

PED
04-12-2008, 04:59 AM
I would do the BA at 55 as well. Just string it like any other poly. I've used it as low as 52 and as high as 57. I'm currently running it at 54 mains with sensation crosses, but will be bumping it up to 55 or 56 mains with the heat rising. I use BA 1.22 by the way.

Noisy Ninja
04-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Considering you're recovering from tennis elbow...I would recommend you string at the lower end of your racquet's recommended tension range initially (i.e. 55).
I previously played with the 6.1 Classic (16X18) and remember the inherent stiffness of that racquet made for a bad match with the older generation polys (i.e. Luxilon). Although Big Ace is a newer (softer) generation poly...it's still relatively stiff compared to most synthetic gut strings (not to mention natural gut and multifilaments).
It's best to take a safe approach initially by using low tensions and/or hybrid until you can asses how your arm reacts. Also, what gauge of Big Ace did you buy? The thinner gauges are definitely better on the arm; I REALLY like the Micro version of Big Ace.

jman
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
It's best to take a safe approach initially by using low tensions and/or hybrid until you can asses how your arm reacts. Also, what gauge of Big Ace did you buy? The thinner gauges are definitely better on the arm; I REALLY like the Micro version of Big Ace.

I purchased the 1.25mm version. Will definitely string towards the lower range though. Was originally going to hybrid it with POSG, but wanted to feel the effects of a full set before I start to hybrid.

I would do the BA at 55 as well. Just string it like any other poly. I've used it as low as 52 and as high as 57. I'm currently running it at 54 mains with sensation crosses, but will be bumping it up to 55 or 56 mains with the heat rising. I use BA 1.22 by the way.

Why bump it up when the heat rises? Currently down under the temperatures are getting cooler, heading towards winter. In that case, should I string lower?

PED
04-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Stupid me!! I forgot you're on the other side of the world. I would still start out with 55 to get a baseline comparison. The 1.25 is nice string. Here in the winter it drops to the mid 30's or 40's (F not C) and I usually go down 2 or 3 pounds to compensate but as long as you are in the 60's or above I wouldn't really change it. As the temps rises, the air gets thinner and the ball flys more. I think the analogy is similar to golf (according to Kcraig) that you lose 10 yards on your drive for every 10 degree drop in temp or something similar. I'd never made the adjustment before this winter and it really helped, but I'm also one of those morons who plays outdoors 12 months out of the year.

AmericanTemplar
04-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I just strung one of my frames with BA 1.22 the other night at 50/47 lbs. I had been stringing at 60/57 before, but I tried going low on one of my other frames with Cyber Power & I didn't feel any loss of control, but it did feel a little more comfortable. Hopefully I will like the BA as much at low tension as I do at a higher tension!

jasonbourne
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry, coming from Australia I really don't know how your ranking system works. But if it's any help I usually play Division 1 in all the competitions I play. I guess I would describe myself as an developing all court player with a aggressive baseline game. I use alot of topspin. Also, I'm recovering from tennis elbow.

Since you're recovering from TE and typically string at 55lbs, I would start at 55lbs because it would be easier for you to compare against the string you typically use and it be easier on your elbow compared to 60lbs you originally planned.

prosealster
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM

sorry to hijack ur thread...but i'm in aust as well..where did u get ur BA from?? wanna get some myself :)

deehacker2005
04-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I strung my babolat aeropro drive w/ full big ace 1.22 at 55lbs. mains and crosses. Been playing with that set up for the last 7-8 hours. I'll probably hybrid it w/ Alpha Viper crosses the next time I restring. No complaints, just want to try something new.

jman
04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
sorry to hijack ur thread...but i'm in aust as well..where did u get ur BA from?? wanna get some myself :)

I purchased my set of BA from the Australian Tenniswarehouse. They only stock BA, nothing else from Pro Supex. Add 'au' to the end of tenniswarehouse.com

prosealster
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I purchased my set of BA from the Australian Tenniswarehouse. They only stock BA, nothing else from Pro Supex. Add 'au' to the end of tenniswarehouse.com

thx m8..will give a go :)