PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust the floating clamps?

mishin900
04-11-2008, 04:43 AM
I got my Gamma X-2 Stringer yesterday and did 2 stringjobs for the first time in my life. Now I'm used to all the weaving things, but I was getting lower tension than I wanted because of the slip in floating clamps. I have no idea how tight the clamps should be..

ChrisNC
04-11-2008, 06:09 AM
I have an X-2 as well. Hopefully others can post more detail for you, but for me, it's all about feeling the clamps as I close them on the strings for the first time. They should take a little effort to clamp, but not need really squeezing hard.

For the first several string jobs, I used a sharpie to mark the string so I could tell during my first few pulls whether I was getting slippage.

NetJob
04-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Since all strings has different grip characteristics here's what I do:
Start your mains so that you can clamp your first run, put a finger on the strings when it is coming off tension, if you feel one string start to slip in relation to the other string in the clamp then put the tension back on, remove the clamp and tighten it up a notch. Repeat until you are satisfied that the clamp is in that middle area of holding the string but not crushing it.

Oh, the other thing that confused me at first was drawback, which floating clamps have. When you come off tension, the whole clamp moves back a bit. As long as BOTH strings move together in the clamp correct tension is retained.

mishin900
04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I just strung another one and I think I'm getting the feel :idea:

almerickso
04-11-2008, 09:10 AM
you could check this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIdZxC8qGo

hope it helps :D