PDA

View Full Version : Round corners with gut

seb85
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi all,

A quick question to all those with experience with natural gut:

When I pull the string through, do i have to worry that the string kinks slightly just before it comes to rest against the frame? There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent this and it hasn't caused any premature breakage so far... just wanted to check though!

In case it matters the string in question is VS gut 17 guage

Seb

YULitle
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
You should avoid this at all cost. If you have trouble getting the string to "unkink" before it rests on the corner it's turning, try twisting the gut on the inside of the frame in a way that unwinds the kink.

If this is happening, say, at the end of the crosses, use one hand to unscrew the twist and pull the cross through with your other hand so that the grommet isn't what is undoing the twist.

flash9
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Seb - Make sure your grommets are in good shape and are not cracked.

The sharp bend that I believe you are describing is going to be there, when the string changes direction. But, no it should not be "kinking" in the corners.

NOTE: Added later - You might want to take a picture of what you are describing.

seb85
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah I think maybe a picture would illustrate it best, unfortunately i dont' have a set to string with at the moment...

For the sake of argument lets remove any influence of any other string. Say I'm hand pulling mains R1 and L1 through at the same time- this is right at the beginning, no clamping or tensioning has happened yet. The small loop that forms at the head of the racket (the first 'corner' has to be at the top on my racket) becomes so small just before the string rests on the frame that a small kink occurs in the gut.

To be absolutely clear, this loop that forms looks like an upside down U, not a cut off 8.

My question is- is there anything i can do to prevent this or shoudl i not worry about it?

YULitle
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
My question is- is there anything i can do to prevent this or shoudl i not worry about it?

Yes, physically twist the gut so that it doesn't get to such a small loop.

seb85
04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Sorry i thought i hadn't been clear:oops:

I'll try this next time i string up then. So i simply twist the gut with my fingers and it should settle more easily? I assume i have to twist in the same direction as it is naturally twisted or it might unravel?

jim e
04-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I usually just LIGHTLY pre stretch the gut by hand. If you pull it not very hard, just enough in beginning, you will feel the gut just go limp, and stop at that point, it will make the stringing go easier, with fewer kinks, at least it helps with me,but some people don't like to do this, I always have, and it makes the job easier.

YULitle
04-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Sorry i thought i hadn't been clear:oops:

I'll try this next time i string up then. So i simply twist the gut with my fingers and it should settle more easily? I assume i have to twist in the same direction as it is naturally twisted or it might unravel?

In the example you gave, what I would do is let go of the string and undo the loop at the head. Having the rest of the string free to move will kep it from unraveling. When you do this at the throat on the last few crosses you don't have much choice. What I do there is remove the cross and slow weave across the mains. Pull all of the string through the grommet and then go under one main at a time. Be sure to make the loop go to the left and the right (alternating) on every main so as not to unravel the gut.

seb85
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
In the example you gave, what I would do is let go of the string and undo the loop at the head.

But I cant undo the loop:confused:

the string has to loop to go through both holes at once. The 'loop' looks like an upside down U so i guess its not really a loop...

YULitle
04-11-2008, 09:23 AM
But I cant undo the loop:confused:

the string has to loop to go through both holes at once. The 'loop' looks like an upside down U so i guess its not really a loop...

That loop is entirely normal.

I assumed that you meant it was a loopdy-loop like on a rollercoaster.

seb85
04-11-2008, 09:25 AM
That loop is entirely normal.

I assumed that you meant it was a loopdy-loop like on a rollercoaster.

No- the normal loop that cant be helped. Is there any way to stop a small kink occuring because of this loop?

YULitle
04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I've never noticed any kinking there. If it's a sharp turn around the frame, you can use power pads. That may help.

seb85
04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I've never noticed any kinking there. If it's a sharp turn around the frame, you can use power pads. That may help.

Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about it! When i say kink i mean any turn that causes the string to go opaque. I'll just get on and string without worrying about it!

Thanks YULitle

Seb

YULitle
04-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh, the string will go opaque. It's hard to avoid really. You should be fine.

jim e
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
A kink is a bend with twist, in the string, and you do not want to pull on that as it will damage the string, you undo the kink before you pull.opaque areas on string are fine, it is nature of the string.If you work with gut long enough you will realise what a kink is, like a large loop, that is twisted and then pulled tighter, that is what you try to avoid.

Lefty5
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh, the string will go opaque. It's hard to avoid really. You should be fine.

Really? I've been spending way too much time then babying my gut to make sure it doesn't kink while stringing. I guess I always thought a Kink = faster fraying later on.

YULitle
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Really? I've been spending way too much time then babying my gut to make sure it doesn't kink while stringing. I guess I always thought a Kink = faster fraying later on.

Whoa whoa whoa. Opaque string does not equal a kink.

Kinks should be avoided at all costs.

Lefty5
04-11-2008, 11:59 AM
darn, i was hoping you would justify my nagging need to speed up my gut stringjobs...