PDA

View Full Version : Nalbandian vs. Sampras: Who has the better looking backhand?

illkhiboy
04-11-2008, 08:48 AM
It's often said that the one-handed is a prettier shot than the two-hander, and I agree with that. However, personally, there are some double-handers are aesthetically better than some one-handers. Personally, I think Nalbandian's backhand is better looking than Sampras'. What do you think?

Ocean Drive
04-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Safins is.

Vision84
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Can't decide. It is like comparing apple's and oranges to me. Now if it was Gasquet it would be a different story. ;)

illkhiboy
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Safins is.

I like that too. In fact I somewhat copy it. Though I 'd prefer having a more Nalbandian-like shot, I can't quite do it without messing my stroke up.

Pro Staff Pete
04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Nalbandian has a beautiful backhand.. the 'loop swing' looks great.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Actually, Sampras was a two hander to begin with, but one of juniors his coaches suggested he adopt a one hander to suit his serve and volley style. It's even speculated that had he stuck with a two-hander, he would have been even more dominant. His one-handeds aren't the prettiest by one-handed BH standards anyway. If it's esthetics you're concerned with look at Frenchman Gasquet's backhands. Even Federer's backhands are "prettier" than Sampras's.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
I liked Lendl's.

illkhiboy
04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
balls;2244070']Actually, Sampras was a two hander to begin with, but one of juniors his coaches suggested he adopt a one hander to suit his serve and volley style. It's even speculated that had he stuck with a two-hander, he would have been even more dominant. His one-handeds aren't the prettiest by one-handed BH standards anyway. If it's esthetics you're concerned with look at Frenchman Gasquet's backhands. Even Federer's backhands are "prettier" than Sampras's.

Yeah I know...that's why I chose Sampras' for this poll. It's not an ugly shot, but it's not really aesthetically pleasing either. Actually it looks a bit awkward. But that's the whole purpose of my post..what do you prefer to watch, a beautiful (does it get any better than Nalbandian) 2-hander or a Sampras one-hander?

soyizgood
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Nalbandian. And it's not even close.

TheNatural
04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Nalby has a great backhand, but he can't do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2OU6eWqqM) with it.

edmondsm
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I also think Mardy Fish's bh is nice looking. The best example of an ugly one-hander is James Blake I think.

soyizgood
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I also think Mardy Fish's bh is nice looking. The best example of an ugly one-hander is James Blake I think.

Robredo and Gonzalez are more worthy of that "honor". :)

yellowoctopus
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Ugly, but very functional.

samprasbackhand
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I like Sampras' backhand as you can probably tell. Compact swing..looks nice to me. I don't think Blake has an ugly backhand, for the same reason..it's just compact and doesn't look like there's any more motion than needed

GRANITECHIEF
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM

Can you describe what exactly you find ugly about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTyyITw-fyo

fastdunn
04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
sampras' backhand was beautiful to look... mybe up until around 1996 maybe when he used to play more baseline. then toward the end of his career, he hit less of them, inceasingly more problem, and it didn't look that pretty toward the end of his career.

Salsa_Lover
04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Best one-hander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQxb4ZtR-4&feature=related

PascalMariaFan
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
No comparison. Nalbandian has more talent in his pinky.

stormholloway
04-11-2008, 02:59 PM
sampras' backhand was beautiful to look... mybe up until around 1996 maybe when he used to play more baseline. then toward the end of his career, he hit less of them, inceasingly more problem, and it didn't look that pretty toward the end of his career.

I agree. His backhand, both in beauty and effectiveness, tapered off later in his career.

Mansewerz
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
A better comparison would be Nalbandian and Agassi. I'm not sure on this one, haven't really focused on their backhands. Like how pleasing it was, more so on effectiveness.

daddy
04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Call me whatever but I like Hewitt's two hander.

Djokovicfan4life
04-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Nalby has a great backhand, but he can't do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2OU6eWqqM) with it.

Ugly looking backhand by one hand standards, but you're right, two-handers don't have that kind of reach with their backhand. Of course they'll always have the tweener. It's really unfair to compare Sampras' and Nalbandian's backhands and then ask which is prettier. Pretty much any pro level one hander will look prettier than the very best two-handers, that doesn't change the fact that Nalbandian has a better backhand then Sampras could ever dream of.

Babb
04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Pretty 2hbhs IMO:
Nalbandian
Rios
Safin

ledor
04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Sampras had a controlling backhand, but rarely an attacking backhand. Slice and Dice.

My vote to nalbandian.

Motherwasp
04-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Hate to say it but Nalbandian

Forehand Forever
04-12-2008, 04:38 PM

I have to agree with Fish's backhand being one of the best.

Nadal_Freak
04-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Nalbandian by far.

stormholloway
04-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I think most one handers are prettier. Sampras is no exception. I think it's nice looking. Sometimes he shrugged a bit, but mostly it was aesthetically pleasing.

diegaa
04-12-2008, 04:54 PM
i guess we can finally watch them both at the same time on may 20th :D

soyizgood
04-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Pretty 2hbhs IMO:
Nalbandian
Rios
Safin

I'd add Agassi, Davydenko, Kafelnikov to that list.

PascalMariaFan
04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Call me whatever but I like Hewitt's two hander.Clown works.

jlan
04-12-2008, 09:00 PM
For a 1HBH, Sampras's wasn't very nice to look at. Just looked awkward at times and it was not very fluid.

Nalbandian wins this poll no contest.

Ocean Drive
04-13-2008, 05:28 AM
balls;2244070']Actually, Sampras was a two hander to begin with, but one of juniors his coaches suggested he adopt a one hander to suit his serve and volley style. It's even speculated that had he stuck with a two-hander, he would have been even more dominant. His one-handeds aren't the prettiest by one-handed BH standards anyway. If it's esthetics you're concerned with look at Frenchman Gasquet's backhands. Even Federer's backhands are "prettier" than Sampras's.

He has said several times it was changed because in the long term it would be a better shot to take into pro tennis, although his double hander was solid. The one hander was supposedly a pretty poor shot in the juniors for him, but it turned into a good shot in the long term, like he intended.

daddy
04-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Clown works.

Ha ha. PascalMariaFan, you are a piece of work. I know you are picking on me because I dont agree with your tactics of posting here .. ( Trollolololo .. ;) ) but you may as well quit with the provocations because you will wear down many keyboards before you make me react. Just a piece of friendly advice, it takes much more than teenage attitude for that kind of result.

kabob
04-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Any of y'all taken a close look at Djoker's backhand? It looks like Tiger Woods' golf swing, it's so pretty.