PDA

View Full Version : Black eye today from my forehand

Nellie
04-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Last night, running right to the wide deuce court, I hit a sharp, cross court forehand passing shot and then whacked myself in the left eye on the follow-through. It hurt like heck, and now I have a black eye to show for it.

Usually, when I hit forehand crosscourt on the run, I follow through behind my right shoulder, but because I was hitting a passing shot and trying to dip the ball, I changed the follow through.

Sorry - I have no video of this event.

What do you think - was my technique off or was I unlucky?

Bungalo Bill
04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Last night, running right to the wide deuce court, I hit a sharp, cross court forehand passing shot and then whacked myself in the left eye on the follow-through. It hurt like heck, and now I have a black eye to show for it.

Usually, when I hit forehand crosscourt on the run, I follow through behind my right shoulder, but because I was hitting a passing shot and trying to dip the ball, I changed the follow through.

:cry: It was off. Which implies a lot of things might have been off (balance, technique, etc...).:cry:

I actually have never seen anyone whack themselves in the eye before. So congratulations you are the first. :)

I have whacked my self in the shin before with my serve motion but never my eye.

Sounds like you swing from the elbow a bit too much.

Tim W
04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I've whacked myself in the eye and the lip with my watch somehow. No, it wasn't a wild follow-through, I have my watch on my left hand and play with my right.

dakels
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
:cry: It was off. Which implies a lot of things might have been off (balance, technique, etc...).:cry:

I actually have never seen anyone whack themselves in the eye before. So congratulations you are the first. :)

I have whacked my self in the shin before with my serve motion but never my eye.

haha. I have to agree with Bill. You probably didn't bring your shoulder around enough yet had a lot of elbow and wrist bend... ouch. I wouldn't be surprised if you did more of a flick. I have wacked myself in the left shin as well... very hard to the point where I had to stop playing. Same problem, wrist and elbow followed through, shoulders did not = smack. I have also hit my knee... same reason. :oops:

Oh I lied, I have hit myself in the face before or hit my head I should say. In running reverse forehands I come awfully close to smacking myself and I do remember I have hit myself a few times. This thread and video reminds me of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87c9vq_1JE&feature=related

No mater how nice the finish, hitting yourself is always a mistake lol... I mean beyond the obvious, it usually comes from an off balance, last second aggressive correction, often with topspin.

Nellie
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
:cry: It was off.

That's what I thought because I could not reproduce that swing path without doing something stupid with my wrist/elbow.

Bungalo Bill
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
That's what I thought because I could not reproduce that swing path without doing something stupid with my wrist/elbow.

Swing up from the elbow is sometimes developed by players who adopt the "point the butt cap at the ball, over the shoulder followthrough". tey adopt this first before learning to extend through the ball and allow the racquet to come around naturally.

Bungalo Bill
04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
haha. I have to agree with Bill. You probably didn't bring your shoulder around enough yet had a lot of elbow and wrist bend... ouch. I wouldn't be surprised if you did more of a flick. I have wacked myself in the left shin as well... very hard to the point where I had to stop playing. Same problem, wrist and elbow followed through, shoulders did not = smack. I have also hit my knee... same reason. :oops:

Oh I lied, I have hit myself in the face before or hit my head I should say. In running reverse forehands I come awfully close to smacking myself and I do remember I have hit myself a few times. This thread and video reminds me of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87c9vq_1JE&feature=related

No mater how nice the finish, hitting yourself is always a mistake lol... I mean beyond the obvious, it usually comes from an off balance, last second aggressive correction, often with topspin.

That is a great clip. It amazes me how much steam Roddick suddenly puts on that forehand of his and the placement of it. If I was playing Roddick and he did that to me? I think I would sprang my brain just thinking about how I would need to catch up to the ball to get into position to put a racquet on it.

Fay
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
It hit myself in the left knee one time serving ... that hurt !

richw76
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
If I were you I'd say I was beat up by a crazed Brownie troop. It'd be less embarrassing. ;-) JK I think everyone has done something in tennis that defies the limitations of the human body.

But the important part is did you at least win the point? I'm sure you did because your opponent was laughing at you right. I kid, I kid :-)

Supernatural_Serve
04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I've hit myself on the head just above the eye. It happens when you try to hit a reverse forehand and a regular forehand at the same time.

stormholloway
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah I did it recently. I couldn't commit to a particular style of shot.

baghdatis
04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
well happened to me last year off a really bad bounce. I lost all balance and nearly killed myself. the space between both eyebrows and just above the nose was fullt brused for ages..

aimr75
04-11-2008, 06:16 PM

ive done this before too.. damn that hurt
________
New six (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_New_Six)

(Blank)
04-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I accidently hit myself in the face once trying to return an out serve. First serve coming at me so I tried to step out of the way and swing and BAM!

10s talk
04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
just tell everyone it is from Mike Tyson

aimr75
04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
just tell everyone it is from Mike Tyson

the OP might need a chunk of ear missing to add credibility :)
________
BUY IOLITE (http://www.vaporshop.com/iolite-vaporizer.html)

Kaptain Karl
04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
In over 30 years I haven't seen that. (One of my college teammates knocked himself silly attempting a "Bucharest Backfire." He smacked himself right between the eyes with the throat of his "Red Head." He was nearly unconscious.)

BB has already addressed your technique error....

- KK

smO
04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
The exact same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I didn't hit very hard so it was not so painful, but still got black eye for it. :D

vince916
04-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Did you win the point?

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 02:27 AM
You mean Boba gave you a black eye?

Rickson
04-12-2008, 05:51 AM
You mean Boba gave you a black eye?

Now you know why we had to give him a new name.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 04:39 PM
10s talk, love your avatar :p...but I haven’t hit myself in the eye, but did hit myself hard on the forehand during a service return of a good serve. Got a good sized bump…:(

anchorage
04-14-2008, 04:17 AM
I've never seen that - plenty of people seem to hit themselves flush on the head, though! I've certainly cracked my left knee from the serve. And, yes, it hurts. I've also managed to hit my non-hitting hand a couple of times - not too sure about that.

However, the most extraordinary thing I've seen on a court was when playing mixed doubles. My partner was a ranked lady from her country (Rumania, I think). Our opponent's team included a rather large lady. Anyway, the inevitable lob goes up and I can immediately see the ****** and lethal look in my partners' eyes. She's like a preying mantis lining up the ball. She duly launches into an awesome smash. Meanwhile the rather large lady is motionless at the net in a sort of flat-footed ready position. Of course, the smash gets her full-on, right between the eyes. Then, as if in slow motion, the large lady just topples backwards and crashes down - out cold. :twisted:

aimr75
04-14-2008, 04:23 AM
However, the most extraordinary thing I've seen on a court was when playing mixed doubles. My partner was a ranked lady from her country (Rumania, I think). Our opponent's team included a rather large lady. Anyway, the inevitable lob goes up and I can immediately see the ****** and lethal look in my partners' eyes. She's like a preying mantis lining up the ball. She duly launches into an awesome smash. Meanwhile the rather large lady is motionless at the net in a sort of flat-footed ready position. Of course, the smash gets her full-on, right between the eyes. Then, as if in slow motion, the large lady just topples backwards and crashes down - out cold. :twisted:

funny story, made me laugh :lol:
________
BUY VAPORIZERS (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

slice bh compliment
04-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Oh Nellie, was the x-ct pass successful?;-)

I think at this point most experts would just use the word proprioception and body awareness. Like, swing with a better, less painful finish, but if it has to be that flicky, at least be aware of the rest of your body (your head).

I once got jammed on a low BH on clay with a bad bounce. Tried to whip it x-ct w/ topspin and hit my front leg's patella really hard on a bias. THe shot went into the net and the knee is still not the same.

I really should have played the smarter inside-out slice, but since the opponent was coming in I felt I had to go for a crosscourt pass FTW.

zebano
04-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Wow thats impressive. I've hit my shins while serving a number of times and once hit myself square in the back of the head on a crosscourt forehand (I had been pushing the ball and my coach wanted me to focus on following through all the way)

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 05:07 AM
I've never seen that - plenty of people seem to hit themselves flush on the head, though! I've certainly cracked my left knee from the serve. And, yes, it hurts. I've also managed to hit my non-hitting hand a couple of times - not too sure about that.

Women.

When will they ever learn to just move back? I played with a 3.5 women once who literally stood 2 feet away from the net on an obvious mishit of mine that popped straight up in the air. When our opponent hit her I could tell that she was mad, but come on lady, do the words "sitting duck" mean anything to you? :confused:

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Women.

When will they ever learn to just move back? I played with a 3.5 women once who literally stood 2 feet away from the net on an obvious mishit of mine that popped straight up in the air. When our opponent hit her I could tell that she was mad, but come on lady, do the words "sitting duck" mean anything to you? :confused:

But they want you to be nice and hit it slower so they can hit it too. They want to feel like you like them and are thinking the best of them. You are just being mean when you hit it too hard. :)

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 08:23 AM
But they want you to be nice and hit it slower so they can hit it too. They want to feel like you like them and are thinking the best of them. You are just being mean when you hit it too hard. :)

It wouldn't have mattered with how close she was standing to the net, there might as well have been a big target taped onto her shirt.

And I didn't hit it, my opponent did.

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 08:43 AM
It wouldn't have mattered with how close she was standing to the net, there might as well have been a big target taped onto her shirt.

And I didn't hit it, my opponent did.

Women are one of the biggest reasons I dont play mixed!

Against my wisdom, I agreed to play at the local club in a mixed doubles BBQ. I hate mixed doubles but did it anyway.

The male on the opponents side left a duck for me to clobber. So, I hit the ball (not hard) right at the ladies feet. She got all ticked off and said I was going after her. I couldn't believe it and almost laughed. I said "lady, if I was going after you, it would be aiming for your head."

So later I was serving and hit this medium paced twist serve which she absolutely looked awkward hitting it. Her feet got tangled and she swung and missed the ball badly. She got ticked again "and asked me to quit picking on her and hitting it so hard." Now, my lady partner started to get ticked at her! I just smiled and mumbled to myself, "what a nut."

I hate playing mixed doubles. It is for whimps.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah, unfortunately with the league that I play in your partners are chosen at random based on your ability. Sure, I'm not the best player by far, but I seem to always get the role of pretty good player with bad player vs. two decent players. It gets old sometimes.

And yes, you were absolutely in the right there. I aim most of my volleys at my opponents feet. It's just common sense, shoe top volleys are one of the hardest shots to hit, let alone hit well.

On the bright side there will be a tournament in about a month and my brother agreed to play with me! He's a great player, you'd probably like him, nice footwork, not lazy, solid all-round game, etc.

P.S. You were actually being nice to hit a twist at her! I usually try flat body serves when I play.
Women seem to be mystified by the ever so simple concept of spin. :confused:

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
And yes, you were absolutely in the right there. I aim most of my volleys at my opponents feet. It's just common sense, shoe top volleys are one of the hardest shots to hit, let alone hit well.

Watch out, you might be going after them.

On the bright side there will be a tournament in about a month and my brother agreed to play with me! He's a great player, you'd probably like him, nice footwork, not lazy, solid all-round game, etc.

Yes, I do look at the feet of a player first. You have been posting good advice, keep it up.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
In that case you'd hate my game, I'm still struggling with the split step! :oops:

It's helping a lot though. And if you think I'm bad, you should see my dad play! He hit a 16 year old girl twice in the chest in the same game! Sure, he probably wasn't aiming there, his control on putaways is pretty bad, but still, even I would apologize after that, that hurts.

Rickson
04-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Women.

Jabba, you should have warned her by yelling, short! How could she be a 3.5 and stand 2 feet from the net? My rule is if you can touch the net with your racquet, you're standing too close. This rule does not apply to Karlovic.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Jabba, you should have warned her by yelling, short! How could she be a 3.5 and stand 2 feet from the net? My rule is if you can touch the net with your racquet, you're standing too close. This rule does not apply to Karlovic.

Well, maybe not two feet, but you know what I mean, she was in position for a massive clobbering and that's about it.

Rickson
04-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, maybe not two feet, but you know what I mean, she was in position for a massive clobbering and that's about it.

Didn't she keep the racquet by her face, Jabba? I always have my raqcquet up during volleys.

Double Fault
04-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I've smacked myself in the knee while serving several times, but I've never done the racquet-to-the-eye drill.

NiteFly
04-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I hit my knee and shin serving sometimes. Man... well if you got a black eye at least you took a good swing at it!

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
In that case you'd hate my game, I'm still struggling with the split step! :oops:

It's helping a lot though. And if you think I'm bad, you should see my dad play! He hit a 16 year old girl twice in the chest in the same game! Sure, he probably wasn't aiming there, his control on putaways is pretty bad, but still, even I would apologize after that, that hurts.

Got to get that footwork down. The next lesson is to learn to move to the ball by taking the proper angle to the ball. These two things are rarely taught and are the most important to learn!

The split-step can be tough for some people. So you are not alone. In fact, some poor guy when I taught at Bradens just couldnt get it down to save his life.

He played doubles so instead of demoralizing the person further with more drills, we taught him how to make tiny steps (shoes squeeking), watch the ball, and then move in that direction.

TIny steps are not quite the same as the split-step (unweigthing) but it is close enough for many peoples level of play - especially if they mainly play recreational doubles.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
I actually resorted to slapping myself hard in the face when I forgot to use the split step yesterday! It hurt, but I finally started using it and got a lot of nice hard groundstrokes going. I felt so much lighter on my feet when I actually did it, more like Federer and not Serena!

I will get through my problems with laziness, just got to keep practicing and finally buy a friggin ball machine!

You've really helped me out, by the way, I can't thank you enough. :)

user92626
04-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Don't feel bad, dude. I've done the exact same thing, except to the left eyebrow. It hurt like hell. I think you're also a lefty like myself. In analyzing how it could happen, I figured that I tried to "lift" the ball too hard while curling up my arm to the side. It's actually easy to happen when you play unorthodoxically.

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 09:51 AM
I actually resorted to slapping myself hard in the face when I forgot to use the split step yesterday! It hurt, but I finally started using it and got a lot of nice hard groundstrokes going. I felt so much lighter on my feet when I actually did it, more like Federer and not Serena!

That may work. :) Better then having me slap you and then having you run drills with daggers in your eyes wanting to kill me because of the physical punishment my workouts bring. Of course, I was used to that hatred from my students.

I see it like breaking a horse. In the end, my students love me. lol :)

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe I should make the trip up there to Idaho. I'm done once you start pulling out the daggers though. :shock: