PDA

View Full Version : I broke a full-poly set-up!

ogruskie
04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
And it only lasted me two months (I play nearly every day)

But seriously. When I got the full poly stringjob, I think I was invincible. I can hit however damn well I please, and the string wouldn't break. But when I heard the rough snapping noise today, my heart sank.

The thing is, two strings popped all the way at the top of the frame. You can't even see the split string. I mean, you just see two strings detached from the frame. That's what it looked like.

Anyway. **** Technifiber Spinfire Maxipower. My coach is putting it Wilson Stamina for me. Hopefully it can outlast two freakin months.

Tim W
04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
If you play every day, 2 months is damn good for a string. Stringjobs aren't going to last you an eternity, so maybe blaming the string is not the best thing to do. I doubt many other setups (Besides something like kevlar) will last that long if you play every day.

ogruskie
04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, I play ALMOST everyday. And by that I mean maybe 4-5 days a week.

And in one racquet, I've had Wilson NXT for 4 months. Its only frayed now. It'll break one of these days, but still.

JMS
04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah that is a long lasting string job.

themitchmann
04-11-2008, 06:29 PM
If the strings snapped at the top of the frame, a mis-hit could be to blame. That can happen with any type of string. And 2 months is a long time for a string job. If you're playing that much, you should be restringing more frequently anyway.

mauricem
04-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, I play ALMOST everyday. And by that I mean maybe 4-5 days a week.

And in one racquet, I've had Wilson NXT for 4 months. Its only frayed now. It'll break one of these days, but still.

you must hit really flat, I play about 4 times a week and nxt would start fraying for me after a couple of weeks at the longest.

Sensation on the other hand would break within two weeks and fray after the first session.

If you broke polys near the head then its probably from a mishit. I snapped a set the other nite when I barely got my racquet on a monster serve from our clubs resident big hitter.

Sentinel
04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
The reviews of Wilson Stamina aren't v good. If you liked this string, keep at it, it was likely a mishit.
And 2 months is great.

LanEvo
04-11-2008, 08:01 PM
congratz dude

Duzza
04-11-2008, 08:16 PM
congratz dude
lol yees congrats

splink779
04-11-2008, 08:22 PM
If you play nearly every day, and it takes 2 months to break a string, that is pretty odd. I sometimes have to restring my ALU Rough before they break just because they die out and lose a ton of tension.

Mastermind
04-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I have a friend that breaks Pro Hurricane Tour about once every two weeks or so, mostly from his serves. Generally he cracks his first around 110, 115 if he really wants to crank it, and his kickers get up around 6 feet.

ledor
04-11-2008, 10:04 PM

Anyway. **** Technifiber Spinfire Maxipower. My coach is putting it Wilson Stamina for me. Hopefully it can outlast two freakin months.

Eww Wilson Stamina.

Check out this link on USRSA Member ratings on durability strings.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/01/usrsa_members_choice_awards_20_3.html

It's only opinion and I only use it as one reference to many references and opinions to choose my strings.

downey stringing master
04-12-2008, 05:37 AM
2 months and your complaining? you play everyday! thats amazing. i go through full poly in 1-2 weeks playing everyday!

hoodjem
04-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Lots of people on here break strings in 4-5 hours or less. Two months is really good for playing 4-5 times a week.

If you like the feel, go with it. Otherwise get Gamma Infinity.

downey stringing master
04-12-2008, 05:59 AM
haha infinity. :D

04-12-2008, 06:26 AM
As you said you play 4-5 times a week, then any poly that lasts 2 months is very good.
What's with the complaint?:)

Motherwasp
04-12-2008, 12:47 PM
If the strings snapped at the top of the frame, a mis-hit could be to blame.

I've done this in the past.....mis-hit a serve near the top of the hoop.

I'd be happy if a multi lasted more than 2-3 weeks, also as people mentioned above, might be worth cutting out poly after that long.

sharpblade
04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Before my new string setup I played with full PHT 16 and I break it every week. 2 months is very good.

RestockingTues
04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
They're right, it was from a miss hit. Any string will last longer if you stop shanking the balls so much ;D

supermario343
04-12-2008, 02:42 PM
this was funny to read lol..2 months and ur complaining haha...yeah polys dont usually last that long for me bc im a big hitter so im surprised that last so long for u bro but thats sweet!

nickb
04-12-2008, 02:45 PM

But seriously. When I got the full poly stringjob, I think I was invincible. I can hit however damn well I please, and the string wouldn't break. But when I heard the rough snapping noise today, my heart sank.

The thing is, two strings popped all the way at the top of the frame. You can't even see the split string. I mean, you just see two strings detached from the frame. That's what it looked like.

Thats a long time....some players that play with extreme topspin break poly in less than 2 hours play..

Nick

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Dude, you play 5 days a week for 8 months, that 40 sessions. Multiply that by about 2 hours and that string job lasted about 80 hours. Not too shabby.

I'm surprised that you still could stand the feel of full poly after that long.

TheSnowMan
04-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Dude, you play 5 days a week for 8 months, that 40 sessions. Multiply that by about 2 hours and that string job lasted about 80 hours. Not too shabby.

I'm surprised that you still could stand the feel of full poly after that long.

It feels better than you think. Everyone on this board is convinced that strings suddenly just "die."

babolat15
04-12-2008, 03:09 PM
wow....that took an incredibly long time ti pop. i consistently break my pht/attraction power hybrid in a week to a week and a half and for some people on these boards THATS AMAZING so 2 months is a really long time. no offense, but you must hit incredibly flat

BallBeemer
04-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've broken full poly set up before and I really didn't care. Maybe it's a mis hit due to it snapped at the top of the frame.

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 06:25 PM
It feels better than you think. Everyone on this board is convinced that strings suddenly just "die."

I agree that strings don't just suddenly "die", but even a hack like me notices a pretty big difference after two months, and that's with natural gut, supposedly the longest lasting string in terms of playability and tension maintenance.

okdude1992
04-12-2008, 06:32 PM
i broke full PHT at 16g strung at 60lbs in 4 hours. and im sure i dont hit harder than some others here. If string lasted me 2 months i would save alot of money restringing

hewittfan3
04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I had full luxilon big banger and i broke it in less than 2 weeks. I was ****ed cuz it cost me $33 bucks to get it strung

TenniseaWilliams
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree that strings don't just suddenly "die", but even a hack like me notices a pretty big difference after two months, and that's with natural gut, supposedly the longest lasting string in terms of playability and tension maintenance.

I have never heard anyone complain of natural gut dying, it just breaks. You are confusing it with poly, or maybe you have it in a poly hybrid? Do you pre-stretch it?

ogruskie
04-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Eww Wilson Stamina.

Check out this link on USRSA Member ratings on durability strings.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/01/usrsa_members_choice_awards_20_3.html

It's only opinion and I only use it as one reference to many references and opinions to choose my strings.

I NEVER trust those ratings. The Wilson NXT got a score of 6.57. Thats a damn bad score. But read this: I've had NXT strings in one of my racquet's for 4 months, and I play nearly everyday. Thats an incredibly long life span for a string with such a low rating.

TenniseaWilliams
04-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I NEVER trust those ratings. The Wilson NXT got a score of 6.57. Thats a damn bad score. But read this: I've had NXT strings in one of my racquet's for 4 months, and I play nearly everyday. Thats an incredibly long life span for a string with such a low rating.

So 2 months is 'freakin short', but 4 is incredibly long? And you break poly but NXT is durable? You mammals freak me out...

Wondertoy
04-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Dude, a miss hit in the upper loop can snap a freshly strung poly, belie that.

ohhgourami
04-12-2008, 10:06 PM
you think thats costy? i cut out freshly strung ALU Power after my arm started to hurt on BOTH of my racquets! no complaining boy!

J011yroger
04-13-2008, 02:09 AM
you think thats costy? i cut out freshly strung ALU Power after my arm started to hurt on BOTH of my racquets! no complaining boy!

I think my personal record for biggest restring was 10 ALU stringjobs in one shot.

Anyone else want to complain?

J