PDA

View Full Version : good idea?

randomname
04-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I play with a semi western forehand and a backhand with both hands in the eastern forehand grip. would it be a good idea to try returning serves to my forehand with an eastern grip so I wouldnt have to worry about switching grips?

Rickson
04-12-2008, 02:31 AM
I play with a semi western forehand and a backhand with both hands in the eastern forehand grip. would it be a good idea to try returning serves to my forehand with an eastern grip so I wouldnt have to worry about switching grips?

I use a sw fh and an ebh with a one hander. I usually wait in a sw fh grip, but when I face a big server, I wait in the efh because it's a neutral grip for me meaning I don't have to switch grips to hit my forehand or my backhand. I don't normally hit my backhand in the efh grip, but if I need to do it in a pinch I can. I absolutely can not hit a backhand with my sw fh grip so I reserve that grip for weak to medium pace servers because I know I'll have time to switch grips if the serve comes to my backhand. If you have trouble switching grips altogether, definitely wait in the efh, but if you can switch grips fairly well, perhaps you should save waiting in the efh grip for big servers. Do what feels right to you.

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Well, you're backhand is only a bevel off of your forehand, shouldn't be too hard to make the switch in time.

fuzz nation
04-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Sounds good to me. I'm pretty sure that some players already use that option for their returns and in terms of your forehand side, that eastern grip setup could be potentially easier to get a quick hit on the ball, especially without needing that grip change. Even though the SW grip is what you typically use, the eastern doesn't require you to go quite so far out in front to make contact and you could probably use it more effectively if a server stretches you out wide on your fh side. If you think about it, the optimal contact zone for a SW forehand can be a bit more limited than with an eastern.

I'll be you a nickel though, that if someone has a weaker 2nd serve that you can really set up for, you'll probably want to default to your comfort zone (yes, the SW grip) when you go after an aggressive fh return. I'll set up for an aggressive bh return with a 2hbh grip, while sticking with my continental for more of a block/backspin return against a heavier first serve where I need to make my quickest move to the ball. If you have a hitting partner, you can try having them hit serves to you from up near their service line - that way they don't need to work as hard to feed you good balls to return. Plan your return before each serve and see what a little repetition turns up.

Rickson
04-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Go ahead and try it. It sounds like conservative tennis to me, but if you can hit forehands comfortably with either grip, it's worth a try. I can hit forehands comfortably with any grip but continental and Hawaiian so it's not a problem for me.

Bagumbawalla
04-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Is it a good idea?

Well, it sounds good.

Will it effectively improve your game?

Don't know-- try it out and let us know how it goes.