PDA

View Full Version : What kind of forehand is this considered?

Rickson
04-11-2008, 11:39 PM
The ball is hit like a line drive with almost no arc at all, but it has a lot of forward spin. Is this considered a flat forehand because of the trajectory or is it a topspin forehand because it's spinning forward? The swing path would be mostly straight through with a closed face which imparts some forward spin.

wihamilton
04-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Probably a flat forehand. The swing path is the determining factor, imo. While a closed face might impart some spin, the most important factor (overwhelmingly so) RE: how much spin a ball has is the direction the racket is moving at contact. If the racket is moving up / across the ball, it will have topspin. If it is moving through the ball, regardless of the angle of the tennis racket, it will be flat(er).

Rickson
04-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Probably a flat forehand. The swing path is the determining factor, imo. While a closed face might impart some spin, the most important factor (overwhelmingly so) RE: how much spin a ball has is the direction the racket is moving at contact. If the racket is moving up / across the ball, it will have topspin. If it is moving through the ball, regardless of the angle of the tennis racket, it will be flat(er).

That's probably the case because when I hit those, my intention is to hit a flat forehand, but I notice that some of them have topspin anyway. Most of my flat forehands have some forward spin, but some of them look like they have as much topspin as my loopy topspin forehands.

wihamilton
04-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Do you vary your racket head speed? Hypothetically, your "flat" forehands could have as much spin as your loopier forehands, assuming you swing faster on flatter balls. But the ball would travel differently b/c of its velocity / your swing direction.

Rickson
04-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Do you vary your racket head speed? Hypothetically, your "flat" forehands could have as much spin as your loopier forehands, assuming you swing faster on flatter balls. But the ball would travel differently b/c of its velocity / your swing direction.

Of course. My swing isn't always go for broke and it's not a finesse stroke either so there's a lot of variation in my swing speed. I tend to swing faster on my flat than on my topspin. My topspin can sometimes become loblike if I swing fast so I don't swing as hard on those.