PDA

View Full Version : finally learned the kick serve!

SpinningForehand
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I have been trying to learn how to do a kick serve the last 8 months. Yes, 8 months, and I know, it probably doesn't take many of you guys that long. For most of those 8 months, I was just brushing the ball with my arm , and varying my form way too much from my flat serve. During the 8 months, I watched videos from high tech tennis, fuzzyyellowballs, and youtube, desperate to learn the kick serve. For some reason, even though they all contain good information, none of them really helped because it was impossible for me to conciously think about what they said and incorporating it into my serve. Basically, today I tried doing my normal flat serve which is pretty good form, but I simply tried carving a shape out of the ball, from the bottom left to top right. I guess I was always brushing too much on the ball before and not getting enough drive. But really, all you have to do is do a flat serve, except toss it a little more to the left, and a little bit more behind you, and carve a shape out of it in the direction you want to brush. It was that simple for me. It seemed to be kicking pretty high, but any tips on what you guys try to emphasize to get it to kick higher? Sorry for the long and kind of useless post.

[ GTR ]
04-12-2008, 04:14 PM
To me, the kick serve is totally different than just 'hitting a flat serve except toss it a little more to the left, and a little bit more behind you, and carve a shape out of it in the direction you want to brush'.

I mean like the pronation and followthrough is all different..You need to use the wrist a lot more on the kicker compared to the flat.

SpinningForehand
04-12-2008, 04:35 PM
;2247074']To me, the kick serve is totally different than just 'hitting a flat serve except toss it a little more to the left, and a little bit more behind you, and carve a shape out of it in the direction you want to brush'.

I mean like the pronation and followthrough is all different..You need to use the wrist a lot more on the kicker compared to the flat.

Well, I followthrough with the racket more to the right side of my body automatically when kicking it, and when I think about carving around the ball, I use my wrist to do that. I guess you are right that there are a couple other differences.

k_liu
04-12-2008, 04:40 PM
It seemed to be kicking pretty high, but any tips on what you guys try to emphasize to get it to kick higher? Sorry for the long and kind of useless post.

Try to increase your racquet head speed by snapping your wrist.

BeHappy
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM

kill yourself.

To the op, ignore this advice unless you want a serious repetetive strain injury and an absolutely crap serve.

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I hear ya, BeHappy, this wrist snapping myth has got to stop!

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-12-2008, 06:09 PM
You DO NOT want to consciously snap your wrist. Just keep your wrist nice and relaxed (not TOO floppy!), and your wrist should unconsciously 'snap' (not a good word choice...) into the ball as a by-product of the rest of your serve/serve motion.

To the OP: If what your doing works, then great. So are you using the same grip as a continental? You still might want to get a teaching pro to look at it, and see if it is actually a topspin/kick serve, and to see if there are any huge flaws in your motion.

Djokovicfan4life
04-12-2008, 06:29 PM
But really, all you have to do is do a flat serve, except toss it a little more to the left, and a little bit more behind you, and carve a shape out of it in the direction you want to brush. It was that simple for me.

Really? I'd call that a botched first serve rather than a kicker. :confused:

tennisaddict1
04-12-2008, 07:01 PM
same. My kick serve is thrown perpendicular to the base line and I use a eastern grip. I hit up and out in front of me. of course it is more of a twist serve than a kick but it works for me. I have plenty of pace and spin that people mess up.

quicken
04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Do not snap your wrist, its going to make you hurt your wrist. I accidently did that and it wasn't a good feeling at all.

Thats basically what I do, I grip it more eastern bh grip and don't pronate as much as the flat serve, I know I should but I can't time it right.

Sentinel
04-12-2008, 11:08 PM
OP, Please check the following links:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/develop_kicker.php
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/develop_kicker_2

HTH.

Here's one of PS : http://www.dono.com.cn/tujie/sampras01.htm

SeekHeart
04-13-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm still working on my kicker, so far I got the right motion just can't swing very fast at all xD.

SystemicAnomaly
04-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Great how-to on the FYB site -- vids and article:

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2246944 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2246944)

SystemicAnomaly
04-13-2008, 04:11 AM
same. My kick serve is thrown perpendicular to the base line and I use a eastern grip...

You're tossing at a right angle to the baseline! My toss is is nearly parallel to the baseline -- this helps me to get an extra measure of shoulder turn for the kicker.

Granted, there are some wrist actions on the serve. However, I cringe every time I hear someone encourage "snapping of the wrist". I hear the same misleading phrase used about badminton strokes all the time. Many/most people would envision the wrist ending up in an extreme state of flexion (curled) from this instruction. There may be a mild flexing action, but not really to the degree that should be characterized as "wrist snap".

uspta mp
04-13-2008, 10:59 AM
it takes practice... be patient.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey, if your current form is working than more power to you, but I highly doubt a "first serve with your toss behind your head" is actually what you are doing. If you can I would try posting a video so someone can give an analysis of what your actually doing.

But it sounds like you've got the important part down, which is the actual kick. :)

SeekHeart
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I need help increasing racket speed lol, I keep a loose arm but no speed xD