PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pro Supex New Kevlar 50 string

jonolau
04-12-2008, 07:08 PM
For the benefit of those looking for a comfortable kevlar/aramid string, read this review by diredesire's friend:

"I was going to test a set of the Pro Supex new Kevlar 50 1.20mm, but my wrist has been feeling a little tender lately. I decided to get my friend (who plays with kevlar normally) to test it for me, here are his thoughts (based on the TW review style):

Tennis String Evaluation

Name: Carlo G
Playing Level: 4.0
Your regular racquet, string & tension: Wilson NPS 95, Ashaway Crossfire (17) hybrid, 58 lbs
Your game style (baseliner, serve & volley, speed of swing, topspin, hit flat, etc.):
All-rounder, 1 handed BH, semi western forehand. Crafty player who relies on speed.

Strings being tested: Pro Supex New Kevlar 50 (mains), Gosen Synthetic (cross) (1.20mm/1.25mm)

Gauge: 1.20mm
Racquet(s) string is in: Wilson NPS 95
Tension: 60 lbs

Stringing- Is it a one-piece or two-piece stringing? Is there much stretch when pulling tension? How stiff is the string? Did you encounter any problems or frustrations during installation?
Comments: two piece stringing, no stretch (to be expected), string itself is not that stiff, but once tension is applied and it is strung up, it is relatively stiff, although better than a thicker gauge of kevlar. No problems stringing.
Machine: LF MS200TT Premium

Power
Comments: At first it was not easy to generate power. I strung it at 60, which is a bit higher compared to my usual 58. However, after a while (approx 4-6 hours) it was easy to generate power from both backhand and forehand sides. As for serving, I find it easy to find power flat serve but not for top spin serve.

Control
Comments: It is quite easy for me to control my shots with this string, except for the serves. I find it relatively difficult to serve with this string.
Spin control is excellent, power level is medium-low.

Comfort
Comments: It feels really comfortable after the tension drops. I feel that this set feels better at a tension of 56-58. (at your regular tension or a few lbs below)

Spin
Comments: It is easy to generate spin for ground strokes. However, I find it difficult to generate spin on my serves. I would rate this string better than average compared to my normal set up.

String Movement- How often do you have to straighten the strings?
Comments: Not that often. Better than my regular Ashaway set up.

Tension Maintenance:
Comments: The tension drops relatively quickly at first. However, it manages to maintain a quite steady thereafter.

Durability- Time of actual play? Compare durability with other strings.
These strings are actually quite durable. I have been using it for 2-3 weeks and it hasnít shown any signs of breaking down. My regular set up typically lasts for about 1.5 months before I tear them up.

Court Surface: Hard court

Scoring: Please score each string for the following on a 0-100 scale with zero being terrible and 100 being exceptional.

Scores
String Name/Gauge: Pro Supex New Kevlar 50
Power: 68
Control: 70
Comfort: 75
Spin: 60
Feel: 75
String Movement: 80
Tension Maintenance: 68
Overall Playability: 70

Overall Summary: Spin friendly, comfortable kevlar with surprising durability for the gauge. Feels stiff at first, but after a brief break in period it really starts to shine."

UNQUOTE

supermario343
04-12-2008, 07:27 PM
wow awesome I didnt even know they were coming out with a Kevlar string!...thats awesome, im excited to try it out myself. When is the launch date?

jonolau
04-12-2008, 08:07 PM
wow awesome I didnt even know they were coming out with a Kevlar string!...thats awesome, im excited to try it out myself. When is the launch date?

Its already out. Email me for more details.

supermario343
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Its already out. Email me for more details.

email sent!

jonolau
04-13-2008, 12:48 AM
email sent!

Reply sent!

nickb
04-13-2008, 03:33 AM
I asked pro supex to send me some kevlar but they said that the string had not done well in their tests and needed some more work. They didnt seem to have much hope for the stuff...

?

jonolau
04-13-2008, 03:46 AM
I asked pro supex to send me some kevlar but they said that the string had not done well in their tests and needed some more work. They didnt seem to have much hope for the stuff...

?
Hi Nick, contact me if you're interested in the kevlar strings.

supermario343
04-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Reply sent!

Thanks for the email Jono! That really help to see what it is and read up about it. Do you sell the stuff on your own?

jonolau
04-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the email Jono! That really help to see what it is and read up about it. Do you sell the stuff on your own?

Yes, I sell it on my own.

GokuQ
04-14-2008, 11:19 AM
it sounds very similar to forten composite, which isnt a bad string but nothing like ashaway

jon, i wouldnt mind a few sets to play with, will em you

blackfrido
04-15-2008, 06:15 AM
it sounds very similar to forten composite, which isnt a bad string but nothing like ashaway

jon, i wouldnt mind a few sets to play with, will em you

I agree! nothing like Crossfire. I tried Forten Thinblend? or something like that and I did not like either.