PDA

View Full Version : Flat forehand

J-lob
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I know this sounds weird but anyone out there prefer to hit flat than with topspin? Not only on winners, i mean on all of the shots. I find that hitting flat keeps the pressure on the opponent and let them make the mistakes. My opponents only last 3-5 forehands...

leave your thoughts and comments. and also leave some tips on hitting flat.

:)

Sentinel
04-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Yup, many of us flat hitters here. Any topspin on my balls is purely accidental and unintended.
I use a SW grip, btw.
Check the James Blake shotmaker club (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=182901)!

wyutani
04-12-2008, 10:56 PM
recreational players tend to do flats that topspin due to inexperience and stuff. persoanlly im more 60 percent topspin, 40 percent flat...you know. only my serve in 100 flat...

Hot Sauce
04-12-2008, 11:22 PM
I almost always hit flat unless I'm hitting an approach shot where I want a good angle.

Christian78
04-13-2008, 02:42 AM
I find that hitting flat keeps the pressure on the opponent and let them make the mistakes. My opponents only last 3-5 forehands...
How many forehands do you last before you hit the net or go long? :)

I regularly play against a good continental flat hitter (I don't think he's even familiar with the word "topspin") and he's very good at putting me under pressure, but as soon as I start varying pace, depth, spin and placement and put him under a bit of pressure his margins of error gets too small and he hits the tip of the net or a few inches behind the baseline.

Rickson
04-13-2008, 05:09 AM
I know this sounds weird but anyone out there prefer to hit flat than with topspin?

Most of my groundstrokes are flat. I prefer to rip them than to send over loopy balls.

leave your thoughts and comments. and also leave some tips on hitting flat.

Aim for the low part of the net often.

Bagumbawalla
04-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I have played against many flat hitters. Since the ball has virtually no topspin to bring it down into the court, they have fewer options, less angle, less margine for safety.

Their game is generally based on hitting the ball fast and low to the corners.

As C78, above says, throwing them off their rhythm with low (sliced) short balls, change of pace, use of spins and so on will tax their small margine of error.

It is OK to hit flat, but one should be well-rounded enough to have options when that is not working.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Everybody has to hit a little bit of topspin just to keep it in court.

uspta mp
04-13-2008, 10:56 AM
hitting with topspin allows you to hit the ball harder with pace knowing the forward roll of the ball in the air will do down. hitting flat with less or no spin will sometimes make the ball go long.
just a thought.

Bungalo Bill
04-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I have played against many flat hitters. Since the ball has virtually no topspin to bring it down into the court, they have fewer options, less angle, less margine for safety.

I think you are exaggerating a bit here. First, it is very difficult for "flat ball" hitters to have virtually no topspin. Flat ball hitters have topspin on the ball. Saying that they "virtually have none" is an exaggeration.

Flat ball hitters can position themselves to hit angles. A good flat ball hitter can work the court and move the ball around. They need to move in to open their chances for sharper angles as well.

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Its not like flat hitters simply have no spin, on low balls one may slice or topspin. Even on higher balls one may spin for variation. However, such a person as you said, prefers to hit flat, and does so predominantly.

Vision84
04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I prefer hitting the ball deep with topspin pinning the opponent behind the baseline. I can take bigger cuts at the ball without missing as much and the topspin for me tends to be just as effective.