PDA

View Full Version : Racket Recommendations...

failurebydesign
03-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm a 3.5-4.0 high school doubles player, and we serve and volley almost exclusively. I prefer middleweight flexy racquets but I'm willing to try something else under 64 flex as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? I play a Head Pro Tour 280, and I'm going to demo pretty soon. My choices for the demos in order are...

1. Prince Tour Diablo MP
2. Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95
3. Yonex RDX500 MP
4. Volkl Tour 10 MP
5. Prince NXGraphite MP

Thanks for all the help! :D

Robert Jones
03-24-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm a 4.0+ Serve and Volley player that has tried

1. Prince Tour Diablo MP
2. Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95
5. Prince NXGraphite MP

Of those the Diablo is the best for Net. Not sure if its the best doubles stick but it has a good combo of control and power. I'm still getting use to it. My net game and overheads are noticeably better vs my More Precision. It will allow you to do a wrist flick shot with pace. I had a difficult time with those shots in the past.

failurebydesign
03-25-2004, 08:18 PM
My net game and overheads are noticeably better vs my More Precision. It will allow you to do a wrist flick shot with pace. I had a difficult time with those shots in the past.

I have trouble with getting pace on overheads and serves... might need to give the Diablo a demo real soon... How's the flex on diablo?

Robert Jones
03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
The flex of the diablo seems soft to me but I have heard others say its stiff. I switched to it for a couple of reasons. The primary was my shoulder getting inflamed. The Precision seems stiff and heavier. It really does not weigh much more but is not as head light.

All I know is my shoulder does not hurt like it did with my other stick. My injury was not caused by the racquet. I use to compete in slalom water sking, had my right arm pulled out of socket in a tourney. Won it by a 1/2 bouy but paid the piper for hanging on and dragging with one hand. Now it gets inflamed from tennis. Prior to that I could play with any stick no matter how stiff.

Put some Prince Perfection control 17 strings in it and it will really make you smile. Its probably not the best at any one thing but I have not played with a better overall racquet. Pace on serves is much better than I expected. It has much more pop than the rating of 675 power suggests. Its damn near as stable as heavier sticks from the baseline and really shines on overheads and low backspin chip and charge attacks. My net game is tons better now. I added just a little lead tape at 10-2 oclock (6 grams) Its still head light but probably 8 points vs 10 stock.

Try the perfection Control strings. They are much better than the stock or soft multis. There are probably other strings that will work fine, I just have not tried them. Buy those strings and set to 62-64 lbs. If you don't like them I will buy you any string you want. NO GUT though. The perfections will not stay even in the string bed so that does not count for a reason not to like them. I'm talking about if you feel you can't control them or other performance issues.

There are sticks that will offer you even more power off your serve but you will loose control on the rest of your game.