PDA

View Full Version : Question about strings breaking during the middle of a match

ogruskie
04-13-2008, 01:07 AM
A few curious questions

1. If you are having an intense rally with your opponent, and your strings suddenly break, and your opponent scores a point on you because of the racquet malfunction, does the point count against you? Or do you re-do the game as if nothing happened?

2. Lets say you're in a tournament, and for some crazy reason you break the strings in ALL of your racquets. Are you allowed to ask your opponent for a spare racquet? Or must you forfeit the game?

Thanks.

seb85
04-13-2008, 01:16 AM
1. No you do not replay the point. Whoever wins the point wins it regardless of what happens to you or your equipment in it.

2. Yes you are allowed to ask. But they are not obliged to help you out. In the case that they can't or won't give you another racket you must forfeit the match.

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 02:14 AM
why forfeit the match, ogruskie. You could keep playing with the rack with a broken string. Not the best thing for your rack, though.

If I recall, your backup is some Prince OS racket, and you lost playing with it after your string broke.

Frankly, I think at lower levels you can play with any racket. My backups are all different. If your oppo gave you an OS racket, then ... ?

However, that said, you will need to play a little more controlled with another racket. You will need to adjust fast and play with higher margin of error. And it will never be as enjoyable as your holy grail.

ogruskie
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
1. No you do not replay the point. Whoever wins the point wins it regardless of what happens to you or your equipment in it.

2. Yes you are allowed to ask. But they are not obliged to help you out. In the case that they can't or won't give you another racket you must forfeit the match.

Thanks for the clarification.

why forfeit the match, ogruskie. You could keep playing with the rack with a broken string. Not the best thing for your rack, though.

If I recall, your backup is some Prince OS racket, and you lost playing with it after your string broke.

Frankly, I think at lower levels you can play with any racket. My backups are all different. If your oppo gave you an OS racket, then ... ?

However, that said, you will need to play a little more controlled with another racket. You will need to adjust fast and play with higher margin of error. And it will never be as enjoyable as your holy grail.

Yes, its true that I have a Prince OS racquet. However, I plan to buy something close fitting to a KBlade Tour, so that a racquet change during match won't have much of a drastic change.

The thing is, my KBlade is the exact opposite of the Prince OS. It is severerly underpowered. I must put in A LOT of force into my strokes. When I use the same force with an OS racquet, all my balls fly out of the court. It has too much power and no control.

And it was during a practice with my coach that my strings snapped. I was thinking hypothetically, "What IF this happened during an actual match?"

uspta mp
04-13-2008, 11:36 AM
which is why it's better to have two or three of the same rackets so your game is not compromised.

tbini87
04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
the point stands even if you break a string in the middle of it.

breaking all your racquets leaves you in a dilemma. your opponent doesn't have to give you one to play with. why not have 2 or 3 in your bag? i have had 2 of the same racquet all season and recently added a third, which is a great amount. i don't think one needs more than 3, but 2 would be good. it is always better to have too many racquets than not enough...

guitarplayer57
04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
my friend broke his racket during a tournament. u just gotta play out the point then get any replacement racket u can. he borrowed mine and broke my strings too XD he borrowed my backup and finished out the tournament

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Ha, I'm still rocking an NBlade OS as my backup, TOTALLY different compared to my Fischer. I plan on buying a matching backup soon though, after I finally get my ball machine.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 06:43 PM
my friend broke his racket during a tournament. u just gotta play out the point then get any replacement racket u can. he borrowed mine and broke my strings too XD he borrowed my backup and finished out the tournament

He broke your strings and you gave him your backup? You're a good friend. :)

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 08:55 PM
lol, when i saw your name on the side "guitar player", i thought, oh some troll talking about breaking his guitar string. Then i saw the word racket in your post, and thought, omg, the dude is gonna say, if you break your racket string, just play with your guitar, goddammit, and stop cribbing :-D

ogruskie, what level do you compete at? Sorry, but like I;m a rec player. It really doesn't matter to me. No racket that has similar specs is going to play the same way as your main rack. It has to be the same. That said, my backups are totally different from one another, altho none is an OS. And i am able to play well with all. Just be a little careful since the others are higher powered.
However, as i said, the moment i come back to my main racket, it feels like heaven again.

If your tournaments and matches are REALLY important, don't buy a cheap similar racket, by the exact same racket even if you have to borrow money or loan.
Another option that just came to mind is --- use those awful poly strings. They won't break during a match.

Rickson
04-13-2008, 09:36 PM
A few curious questions

1. If you are having an intense rally with your opponent, and your strings suddenly break, and your opponent scores a point on you because of the racquet malfunction, does the point count against you? Or do you re-do the game as if nothing happened?

You lose the point, but you can switch racquets after that point meaning you don't have to play out the game, but you must play out that point.

2. Lets say you're in a tournament, and for some crazy reason you break the strings in ALL of your racquets. Are you allowed to ask your opponent for a spare racquet? Or must you forfeit the game?

Why would you do that? For all intent and purposes, that match is over.

ogruskie
04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
ogruskie, what level do you compete at? Sorry, but like I;m a rec player. It really doesn't matter to me. No racket that has similar specs is going to play the same way as your main rack. It has to be the same. That said, my backups are totally different from one another, altho none is an OS. And i am able to play well with all. Just be a little careful since the others are higher powered.
However, as i said, the moment i come back to my main racket, it feels like heaven again.

If your tournaments and matches are REALLY important, don't buy a cheap similar racket, by the exact same racket even if you have to borrow money or loan.
Another option that just came to mind is --- use those awful poly strings. They won't break during a match.

I'm training to be a tournament player. I haven't been in any yet, but I'm headed in that direction real soon. I'm also saving money so I can buy another KBlade as a back-up. Right now, its not a big deal if I break strings. But during the summer, my coach wants me to be on his League team. THEN I seriously need a back-up KBlade.

EDIT: Poly's are great, but I just broke a set this week. Probably from a hard mis-hit.

Nellie
04-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I break a lot of polys on mishits near the frame on returns of the serve - they break right at the grommet.

It does not hurt to bring several old/cheap racquets with you if you do not have the funds to get a new racquet now. Chances you will need it are slim, and you are bringing the old racquets just for insurance.

If you are going to be a serious player though, you will likely need a couple more racquets. My tennis shop gives me a bulk order discount.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
lol, when i saw your name on the side "guitar player", i thought, oh some troll talking about breaking his guitar string. Then i saw the word racket in your post, and thought, omg, the dude is gonna say, if you break your racket string, just play with your guitar, goddammit, and stop cribbing :-D

So you don't like Poly's either? I recently started using Babolat VS and I can't seem to hit well with my brothers full poly setup. Seriously, it doesn't even feel like strings, really. More like a board, and a thick one at that.

Vision84
04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I break a lot of polys on mishits near the frame on returns of the serve - they break right at the grommet.

If the strings break by the grommets isn't that a sign that it hasn't been strung properly? One of my coaches said his Head racket was strung poorly as a result of this.

Vision84
04-14-2008, 10:02 AM
So you don't like Poly's either? I recently started using Babolat VS and I can't seem to hit well with my brothers full poly setup. Seriously, it doesn't even feel like strings, really. More like a board, and a thick one at that.

If it is to board like then drop it by a few pounds. Poly's need to be lower strung than your average synthetic gut.

Tennisman912
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Sentinel,

Unfortunately, poly breaks as well. It usually takes me 8-10 hours of play to break my full poly. My racquet seems pretty string break prone. Syn gut seems to break just looking at it. If you use Poly, almost everyone must string it lower (much lower sometimes) than Syn gut. Now that I think about it, it always breaks in the same spot. It is a great string if you like to hit out all the time. Just be warned it is hard on your arm. And unless you are pretty serious about tennis, I would not recommend it to most people.

I once played a match and broke 2 of my rackets and 2 borrowed ones from an opponent (friend) last summer. Remember they have no obligation to let you borrow anything but I have never seen someone not be able to get one from somewhere within a court or two.

I am famous ( or infamous) for always experimenting with racquets. I once went 3 months without using my own racquets.
A bad habit I am trying to break.

Good Tennis all.

TM