PDA

View Full Version : A one handed backhand THUMB question....

The FishEXpress
04-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Is it wrong for righthanded person like myself to to place my right thumb along the racquet handle for extra support whilst hitting one handed backhand shots? It is a very natural tendancy for me to do this as it gives me more support and power through the follow through.

Additionally, do any other ATP players do this?

If this is the wrong technique please could you explain why.. thanks and regards

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 04:16 AM
If I get you correct, rather than place the thumb around the handle (i.e. at the back) you keep it straight, alongside.

It would appear that the rack could sort of slip, it you don't wrap the thumb around. What if you get a heavy ball ? Just a thought. i would guess we need more support and power at time of contact, than followthrough.

Why not give the other option a try and see ?

The FishEXpress
04-13-2008, 04:22 AM
If I get you correct, rather than place the thumb around the handle (i.e. at the back) you keep it straight, alongside.

It would appear that the rack could sort of slip, it you don't wrap the thumb around. What if you get a heavy ball ? Just a thought. i would guess we need more support and power at time of contact, than followthrough.

Why not give the other option a try and see ?

You are correct! When I place the thumb around the handle the racquet 'slips' on contact with the ball when hitting a one handed backhand.
Is this correct way of hitting a backhand?

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Very strange that the racquet slips when your hand is wrapped around it fully. Hope you hold the racquet correctly.

I suggest you have a look at the backhand grip video at www.fuzzyyellowballs.com . That may clear your doubt on the standard grip.

The FishEXpress
04-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Very strange that the racquet slips when your hand is wrapped around it fully. Hope you hold the racquet correctly.

I suggest you have a look at the backhand grip video at www.fuzzyyellowballs.com . That may clear your doubt on the standard grip.

ty v useful

Rickson
04-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Is it wrong for righthanded person like myself to to place my right thumb along the racquet handle for extra support whilst hitting one handed backhand shots? It is a very natural tendancy for me to do this as it gives me more support and power through the follow through.

Additionally, do any other ATP players do this?

If this is the wrong technique please could you explain why.. thanks and regards

That's some sort of teaching technique for beginners and it takes you into a continental grip. I wouldn't say it's wrong for a beginner, but if you're beyond the beginning stages, it's not necessary as it's really more of a guide and it leaves you at too mild a backhand grip anyway. As for your other question, I've never seen anyone in the ATP use that thumbless grip.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 08:16 AM
These questions should be reserved for the OHBH society, it'll save a ton of forum space. No point in 10 OHBH threads on this page alone.

WildVolley
04-13-2008, 08:26 AM
The thumb along the back of the racquet handle is something I've seen beginners do, but I've never seen an advanced player or professional hit with that grip. I think the reason that pros don't hit that way is it actually weakens your grip on the racquet.

chess9
04-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't do that. Very often beginners do that AND LEAD WITH THEIR ELBOW. In other words, they pick up their elbow. You may notice the stroke doesn't feel strong if you put your thumb flat against the racquet grip and DON'T raise your elbow.

-Robert

zidane339
04-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Wouldn't it injure your thumb on a hard shot?

stormholloway
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't see how you can keep the racquet held firmly in the hand like that.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Just tried it with a racket, and even without hitting a tennis ball, noticeably weaker and unstable(er??) than with thumb wrapped around the handle.