PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to put late/extra kick on forehand?

tennisaddict1
04-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Anybody know how to put late/extra kick on forehand? Umm so the forehand looks almost like a flat forehand but has extra kick(bounces up like a kick serve) at the end.

doublefault2008
04-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Have you tried topspin?

Rickson
04-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Anybody know how to put late/extra kick on forehand? Umm so the forehand looks almost like a flat forehand but has extra kick(bounces up like a kick serve) at the end.

Put topspin on the ball.

WildVolley
04-13-2008, 07:54 AM
The pros do this by generating a lot of racquet head speed into the ball. In slow motion video, you can see that they have a less apparent low to high stroke pattern, but they still bring the racquet from slightly below the ball, and the racquet moves up violently on contact with the ball, imparting a significant amount of topspin on a ball that is still driven at a low trajectory.

This is the basic topspin drive promoted as the modern forehand using the double bend structure(or straight arm if Federer, Nadal, Verdasco) and aggressive windshield wiper motion. You want to learn the correct technique first, and then get more aggressive on hitting through the ball.

Closing the racquet face at the end of the backswing and hitting with a semi-western grip both help most people hit the topspin drive.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 03:35 PM
You have to swing with a flat trajectory and swing quickly up the back of the ball for topspin.

EDIT: Thats how pros look like they are not swinging the racket from low to high before contact. They have such good timing and racket head speed, so they can hit balls with a flat trajectory, not loopy, which still have a ton of topspin/kick on them.

tennisaddict1
04-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Have you tried topspin?

ok look i know how to hit a topspin shot. :)What I am asking is putting heavy topspin on a flat looking shot so that it drives like a flat but messes up the opponent by kicking in late so they can't predict it as well.

Thanks for the tips. I would appreciate more

35ft6
04-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Aim for a tiny rock on the court.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
ok look i know how to hit a topspin shot. :)What I am asking is putting heavy topspin on a flat looking shot so that it drives like a flat but messes up the opponent by kicking in late so they can't predict it as well.

Thanks for the tips. I would appreciate more

No such thing, dude. A heavy topspin shot is a heavy topspin shot, and a flat shot is a flat shot, end of story.

tennisaddict1
04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
well i played the varsity number one at my school and the shot looks like a flat but once the ball touches the ground it picks up more pace and has a kick

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Perhaps they just didn't hit very high over the net?

WildVolley
04-13-2008, 06:40 PM
This isn't difficult to understand. You just need to hit the ball in a flatter trajectory while applying topspin. This will require more pure racquet speed than a simple flat drive.

Theoretically it should be possible to hit a slow topspin lob, a slightly faster topspin ball that clears the net by say 6' and a topspin drive that clears the net by 2" that all have the exact same RPM on the ball. If hit at the same speed, the drive will land very short.

What has changed? The trajectory and how hard the ball was hit. The pros often hit a ball that clears the net by inches and lands deep, but has substantial topspin. Many hard drives of this type would not land in if it were not for the topspin.

You think your friend's shot is flat because it doesn't clear the net by much and lands deep. The extra topspin on the ball surprises you.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Reading through this thread again, I think some misunderstanding is partly because of semantic issues. A flat shot can EITHER mean a shot with little or no spin OR a shot with a low trajectory over the net.

Based off the former question, the OP's question doesn't make sense. But based off the latter definition, a topspin tennis shot with a flat trajectory is quite common in intermediate to higher levels of play for many reasons.

One, because topspin gives a tennis player room for error. Two, because loopy topspin shots, while safe, are not exactly conducive to producing winners, so topspin shots with flat trajectories are common as both rally shots and to win the point outright. They are the best way to combine pace and spin.

As to how to do this kind of shot, it is relatively simple. Read the above poster's explanation, WildVolley...All you really need to do is hit your normal topspin shot, but concentrate on getting forward extension into the court, so that the ball instead of taking a loopy trajectory, instead flies through the court with a flatter trajectory. Step INTO the ball and court.

Kokopelli
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
The key to your answer is to apply tons of topspin on a flat trajectory - which is easier said (wrote) than done.

High level players at the way they smack the daylight out of the balls, must apply topspin to keep the balls in the court even if they only clear the net by less than a foot.

The benefit is that once the "flat" looking ball with lots of topspin hits the court, its bounce will still have tremendous speed and feel "heavy" as you make contact.

"Flat" looking forehand with little to no topspin tends to skid more, bounce a little lower, and feel less "heavy" than a "flat" looking forehand with lots of topspin.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I think I understand what you're talking about now.

If my assumptions are correct then you're talking about a very difficult shot, maybe they're just good players?

tennisaddict1
04-14-2008, 06:28 PM
yes so how do you do it? i have been trying with little luck. Every topspin shot I try to make it look flat does not bounce higher than the height at which I cleared the net. (one inch or less maybe)