PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Court Forehand

Willietan
04-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

I'm about 3.0 so pardon my newbie query.

Usually my game is very based on winner shots going down the line. But I've been playing with couple of Lefty and I realised that I am having trouble putting the balls deep and sweet (the corner of the court) as compared to my forehand DTL.

Any advice on hitting better CC?

Rickson
04-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi all,

Usually my game is very based on winner shots going down the line. But I've been playing with couple of Lefty and I realised that I am having trouble putting the balls deep and sweet (the corner of the court) as compared to my forehand DTL.

Use an open stance and take the ball early.

Bagumbawalla
04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Hitting down-the-line, you are putting some topspin on the ball to clear the net (I would assume), so, when you try to do the same thing cross court- because it is a longer distance- your ball will tend to fall short and sit up for a potential put-away winner by the opponent.

So, you have a couple options. Continue to use the same stroke and simply angle the ball more toward the sevice line. this will create a wider angle and longer distance for the opponent to cover.

Or, since you are driving over the lower portion of the net, take some topspin off and hit flatter. This will steal some time from the opponent and make him scramble.

[K]aotic
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
at the 3.0 level just focus on getting the ball in. don't go for winners.

Bungalo Bill
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi all,

At the 3.0 level you should be working on consistency and not going for the lines. This means you need to use the three feet rule. All balls should be three feet away from ALL lines. If you are hitting to the corner crosscourt, you should hit three feet from the sideline and the baseline.

If your ball is deep on the DTL, it should be okay for the crosscourt as well.

It could be you are trying to hard and you end up brushing the ball too much. Learn to move the ball around in practice. Work on Crosscourt more then your DTL shots for now.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 03:09 PM
If you can actually hit winners DTL, that's pretty good for a 3.0...But the problem is I'm thinking that at your level and your opponents, consistency will be more efficient and effective.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 03:15 PM
If you can hit winners DTL consistently than you're probably better than 3.0. If you're making 1 out of 4 than you need to try and work on consistency.

k_liu
04-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I find it hard to believe that a 3.0 player can hit DTL winners consistently. That's more like a 4.0 player. Everything is based on timing and footwork. Use cones as targets and have someone feed you some balls to the duece side. Work on getting to the ball and hitting it early. If your balls are landing short you are either hitting it late and/or brushing it too much.

35ft6
04-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi all,

Usually my game is very based on winner shots going down the line.First off, give up this game plan immediately. Not even the pros do it. Basing your game off down the line winners is about the most risky style of play you can come up with.

But as for your cross court question, assuming you wish to attack your lefty opponents backhand, aim higher over the net. When you hit crosscourt, you have more court to hit into, so the exact same shot that lands nice and deep down the line, will land pretty short crosscourt even though they're the same length of shot. So aim higher over the net.

Do you have a topspin forehand at all? I'm wondering if you shovel your forehands and if that's part of the problem, too.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah, even James Blake isn't THAT aggressive.

Willietan
08-03-2008, 12:22 PM
You guys are pretty right. I dont think my game is all about DTL shots.. probably be very error prone for my level. What I should say "my forehand DTL is my only winner shot". Of course, at my level, I try to keep the ball deep and in play.

BUT RECENTLY I'VE BEEN FRAMING MY BALLS! No idea why!

I will be playing a match in few days.. Guess I need to consciously keep my eyes on ball as I think sometimes I just didn't follow it. (maybe that's why I'm shanking the shots.)

schwuller
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM
if you are framing SUDDENLY, then you could be tired. you might be looking at where you want to hit the ball and not at the approaching ball. you might me moving your body as you stroke. you could be moving your head as you stroke. any of that will cause a misshit. get back to basics.
but listen, i think i understand what problem you might be having with the crosscourt shot. i am only a 4.0 player and so i should not be giving advice on technique. however:

i notice that players in parks, who are rallying, stand near the center line hash and just hit FORWARD back and forth. this can groove that forward shot! it can be hard to hit cross court but easier to hit down the line for a guy who has done that week in and week out! so here is what i told a guy who was doing this, and it worked (for him): continue to hit forward, BUT imagine that forward is now to your left. in other words, imagine the court has turned like a turntable counter clockwise, so forward is now to your left. your body position will be a little more toward 11 o'clock. from that position, if you hit it forward, the ball will go crosscourt...of course.

another thing you might try is imagine the ball viewed from above as a clock face. to hit forward, you hit it at 6 o'clock right? well, hit it at 4:30 and it will go crosscourt.

if you use a wall to practice, hit one forehand forward, then one crosscourt. then you're now over on the backhand side. hit that backhand forward, then hit the next one crosscourt. now you're on the forehand side. repeat.

schwuller
08-03-2008, 02:39 PM
be very careful using the methods i mentioned, because they may start a series of bad habits! but my point is, if you want a quick and dirty IDEA to get the crosscourt shot happening....there you go. hopefully the coaches and experts here will chime in. i personally hit the ball crosscourt by using timing and rotation and hitting ball "on the outside".

Cindysphinx
08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm a 3.5, and I have always had trouble going crosscourt with my FH. Inside out and DTL feels more natural to me.

What is helping lately is consciously aiming for the outside of the ball. Give it a try.

Willietan
08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
if you are framing SUDDENLY, then you could be tired. you might be looking at where you want to hit the ball and not at the approaching ball. you might me moving your body as you stroke. you could be moving your head as you stroke. any of that will cause a misshit. get back to basics.
but listen, i think i understand what problem you might be having with the crosscourt shot. i am only a 4.0 player and so i should not be giving advice on technique. however:

i notice that players in parks, who are rallying, stand near the center line hash and just hit FORWARD back and forth. this can groove that forward shot! it can be hard to hit cross court but easier to hit down the line for a guy who has done that week in and week out! so here is what i told a guy who was doing this, and it worked (for him): continue to hit forward, BUT imagine that forward is now to your left. in other words, imagine the court has turned like a turntable counter clockwise, so forward is now to your left. your body position will be a little more toward 11 o'clock. from that position, if you hit it forward, the ball will go crosscourt...of course.

another thing you might try is imagine the ball viewed from above as a clock face. to hit forward, you hit it at 6 o'clock right? well, hit it at 4:30 and it will go crosscourt.

if you use a wall to practice, hit one forehand forward, then one crosscourt. then you're now over on the backhand side. hit that backhand forward, then hit the next one crosscourt. now you're on the forehand side. repeat.

Exactly! My casual rally is usually forward style rally.. no CC drills or sorts.

Yea, I will try to keep my eyes and head steady on approaching balls and hit it at the outside of the ball. I do understand this but whem I'm used to hitting at 6'oclock of ball, hitting at the 4.30 o'clock of the ball requires different timing. Gotta get there early to take a good CC.

Willietan
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm a 3.5, and I have always had trouble going crosscourt with my FH. Inside out and DTL feels more natural to me.

What is helping lately is consciously aiming for the outside of the ball. Give it a try.

Thanks for this. Exactly what I will try. ha.