PDA

View Full Version : Best way to improve?

doublefault2008
04-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Summer is almost here and I've been thinking about ways to improve as fast as I can. Should I play a lot of matches or drill a lot or go 50/50? Which is the fastest way to improve?

TennezSport
04-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Nothing will improve your strokes like practice and nothing will improve your play like playing matches, so 50 50 seems like the best course of action. I would also add some aerobic and footwork along with some light weight training. Good luck and have fun.

TennezSport :cool:

Bagumbawalla
04-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Start with paractice and drills. In addition to working on/perfecting strokes, try to find drills that duplicate, as much as possible, real game situations and court tactics-- and add them to your practice.

Also work on general conditioning- including light weights, aerobics, diet, balance, co-ordination etc..

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Both, at least thats what I do...

35ft6
04-13-2008, 03:24 PM
If you really want to improve, give up on going for crazy winners, and whether you're playing a match or just hitting, try to always hit one more ball than your opponent. Work on grooving your strokes and not missing. Move the ball around but don't go for lines. This is the quickest way to get better.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
If you really want to improve, give up on going for crazy winners, and whether you're playing a match or just hitting, try to always hit one more ball than your opponent. Work on grooving your strokes and not missing. Move the ball around but don't go for lines. This is the quickest way to get better.

Yep, consistency wins at the lower levels, always. Usually in the higher levels as well.

There's a reason you see all these frustrated "Got beaten by a pusher" threads. It's not because they really are pushers, it's because they lost to a consistent player.

spiritdragon
04-13-2008, 06:15 PM
u definetely need both to improve fast, so i'd have to say 50/50. but remember that practicing right makes perfect. this is what i used to not do. i used to play a lot hoping to get better fast but my progress was really slow and frustrating. u have to really take intelligent steps to get better. when you find a problem try and really think about what u're doing wrong and try to fix it.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Good advice Spiritdragon, you'd be wise to listen to this, doublefault. There's no point in practicing for hours if your technique is off. You'll simply develop a "perfect bad habit" that will take loads of time to correct.

It's best to do your homework and learn about proper technique, THEN get on the court and start practicing. Practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect. :wink:

Hot Sauce
04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I definitely think you should balance it. More practicing opposed to matches, in my opinion. For me what really helped me improve my strokes was rallying. I found that by strictly playing lots of matches, I played too conservatively. Focus on getting your strokes sound by rallying and practicing, and then the confidence will build, and the match play will come after.

Shashwat
04-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Practice about 5 days a week with some friendly matchplay. Play atleast one tournament every 3-4 weeks. And also add in conditioning.

That's what i did last summer. I improved a TON.

Edit: When you are practicing, i mean practicing at a club at like a clinic or something with pro coaching.

kimbahpnam
04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
watch, practice, play.