PDA

View Full Version : Playing Habits!

TB45
04-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Alright, I know everyone has playing habits...expose yourself! :) I just want to know what everyone does. Also, some brownie points for those who list off habits they hate seeing.

I'll start. I pull my shirt back before my serves (like Roddick). I pick my (err...the front of my shorts:shock:) and my backside before every return of serve. I bounce the ball 2 times before every serve. Thats about all i can think of right now.

I hate when people bounce the ball between their racket and the ground before they serve...and then the ball bounces off their shoe and they have to go run after it, just to start the process over. lol. Also, i dont like it when people say the score softly, so i have to listen carefully.

CantBeBeat2
04-13-2008, 07:38 AM
i also pull up my sleeves like roddick. also i twist my racquet alot and flip it in the air and catch it.

Oxford
04-13-2008, 07:42 AM
spin racket in my hand when i do something good :)

obnoxious2
04-13-2008, 08:25 AM
I kick my racket to do a flip in the air alot.

RestockingTues
04-13-2008, 08:30 AM
I say "****" after every backhand

raiden031
04-13-2008, 08:33 AM
If I'm serving and my opponent returns the ball deep or it ends up at the back wall, I always feel compelled to retrieve it before my next serve even if I were to have 2 balls. Although if I'm returning I will let the ball sit back there without issue.

zidane339
04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I can't stand not getting balls on the court..say no when calling out, that way I don't have to say "long" or "wide", just a simple no.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I twist my racket a lot. I serve with two balls in my tossing hand.

TheGreatestAudia
04-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Two bounces before every serve, shout score before my service points, say "out" when ball is out, pick 90% of all balls left on my half up, and spin the racquet b/w points, good or bad.

I also only want two balls on my side. Most guys I have played feel the same way but sometimes they'll keep all three when serving. I think it shows they have a lot of "room" in the pockets... Just my opinion. lol

Moz
04-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I always pull both short legs up as I bend to receive serve.

I also time my farts for just after I've volleyed in doubles.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 07:59 AM
I think I do the Sharapova on serves unfortunately. I lift my left foot to where only my heel touches the ground to start my service motion, like Sampras does. The only problem is that I think my butt sticks out when I start really trying for a lot on my serve. :oops:

As for habits that I hate I would have to say not reacting to the ball right after it's is hit. I know you were probably talking about Nadal-like habits and not tactics, but still, I just die a little inside every time I see someone lose the point off of a bad floaty slice just because they stood at the baseline and didn't take one step until after the ball bounced. And then on top of that they say "nice shot"! It WASN'T a nice shot, you could of won that point! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH! :mad:

TheGreatestAudia
04-14-2008, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=
As for habits that I hate I would have to say not reacting to the ball right after it's is hit. I know you were probably talking about Nadal-like habits and not tactics, but still, I just die a little inside every time I see someone lose the point off of a bad floaty slice just because they stood at the baseline and didn't take one step until after the ball bounced. And then on top of that they say "nice shot"! It WASN'T a nice shot, you could of won that point! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH! :mad:[/QUOTE]

Haha... Yea, I run into that from time to time. I can't get any better if every time I hit one of those, they don't react in time to put me on the defensive or to win the point. It drives me crazy.

swimntennis
04-14-2008, 08:46 AM
- I bounce the ball twice before every serve. If I need extra time to think, I'll bounce it longer, but always an even number of bounces.

- I say the score as soon as the point is over and right before I serve. I hate scoring discrepancies. I also ask the returner the score if s/he doesn't say it loud/clearly.

- I take off my glasses and wipe the sweat off my face at the change of ends.

That's about it, really.

Andres
04-14-2008, 09:06 AM
I bounce the pocket ball behind my back if my first service is out or if I net it.

TennisProdigy
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I return every second serve for a winner.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
I return every second serve for a winner.

So you're the recreational version of James Blake?

boojay
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
So you're the recreational version of James Blake?

He said "every" second serve for a winner, not every fifth, :P.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Fifth? What are you talking about Jiggles? :confused:

boojay
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Blake goes for broke on every shot and only 1-in-5 is usually a winner--the rest are errors.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Blake goes for broke on every shot and only 1-in-5 is usually a winner--the rest are errors.

1 in 10 actually, please don't get me started on Blakes game, I hate it with a passion.

Die, James Blake Shotmaker Club, Die! :mad:

Maybe a Fernando Gonzalez Shotmaker Club would be better.

Taxvictim
04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
When receiving, I cup my hand by my ear until the server says the score loud enough for me to hear.

Fay
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I tend to twirl my racquet while I am waiting for serve return to keep my right arm relaxed. (I actually had one older woman ask me not to that it was distracting her serve, ha ha.)

I bounced the ball 5 times before every serve to make sure I take two complete breathes before serving. One man called me Djokovic on day.

I always try to count from the ball bounce to my hit to calm myself and keep my mind focused.

When it is my turn to serve I like to have all 3 balls on my side of the court so that I can use the two more springy ones ... deciding which one is the one not to use is a sort of meditative procedure to level myself.

I don't like it when someone holds a ball in their pocket most of a match to bring it, the really bouncy one, out when it is their serve near the end of the match.

I don't like people who say the score softly *just* as they are tossing the ball. I have learned to ignore that and clarify after the point, but it is a way of "speed serving and trying to shark opponent's game."

I hate people who ask me question about absolutely nothing about the time I am ready to toss for my serve.

Needless to say I don't very much appreciate people who make a lot of bad calls. I am not talking about close mistakes, but cheating.

I find other women who toss the ball and then don't hit it laughable. I do the split step at racquet contact so it doesn't bother me a bit. But more often than not women do that, and I have never played a man who does that. Just gives me more time to breathe and rest up, ha ha ha. :-) If I make a bad toss I just maneuver myself the best I can and suck it up, LOL.

TennisProdigy
04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
1 in 10 actually, please don't get me started on Blakes game, I hate it with a passion.

Die, James Blake Shotmaker Club, Die! :mad:

Maybe a Fernando Gonzalez Shotmaker Club would be better.

Why are you criticizing James Blake? Anyone who can make it in the top 10 is a heck of a player especially with todays competition. In addition, anyone who can swing a 374g racquet with luxilon at like 68.1 pounds without having his arm fall off is a monster...

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Why are you criticizing James Blake? Anyone who can make it in the top 10 is a heck of a player especially with todays competition. In addition, anyone who can swing a 374g racquet with luxilon at like 68.1 pounds without having his arm fall off is a monster...

Oh, he's a monster for sure, he's just a dumb one. I prefer to see good solid point construction rather than someone who is just constantly looking for more ways to hit a winner off of the forehand. Just my opinion.