PDA

View Full Version : volley practice

raiden031
04-13-2008, 09:17 AM
I have 2 questions.

1) Is it better to practice volleys with both partners within the service box volleying to each other or for one to be at the baseline feeding balls to the other who is in the service box volleying.

2) When practicing against 3.5ish guys, does anyone find it nearly impossible to practice volleys where one is at the baseline and one is doing volleys because of sprayed balls? The person volleying can never control where their volleys go and the baseline guy can never control his feeds because he's not getting balls in his strike zone from the volleyer. It is aggravating. I think I'm better at this drill than alot of the guys I practice with but I was wondering if anyone around this level has the same frustrations and whether its also a problem at 4.0 and 4.5 levels as well.

obnoxious2
04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I prefer someone feeding me balls from the baseline. They tend to smack it harder and it's more realistic to what happens during games.

The key thing to tell a 3.5 player on the baseline is just to not worry about aiming for you. Just tell them to hit it like a normal baseline rally.

raiden031
04-13-2008, 09:37 AM
I prefer someone feeding me balls from the baseline. They tend to smack it harder and it's more realistic to what happens during games.

The key thing to tell a 3.5 player on the baseline is just to not worry about aiming for you. Just tell them to hit it like a normal baseline rally.

When they feed from the baseline you can focus more on technique whereas if you are both volleying, its more like reflex volleying and so you don't always have time to use the right footwork or stroke technique. But in matches I do receive both types of balls frequently.

I think the problem with the feeding player is more than than just worrying about where to hit the ball, but also they just don't have the control to hit off these low bouncing volley shots that the volleyer is giving them. But its so bad that if we have 6 balls and I'm the volleyer, I might get 3 or 4 good volleys in before all the balls are scattered and need to be retrieved.

Loco4Tennis
04-13-2008, 09:47 AM
i had this problem too
when hitting soft i would hit erratically
i would try to place just right amount of spin or power when hitting to someone volleying and end up hitting 1/2 the balls into the net,
what i have done is stepped away from the baseline and hit a little harder then normal and thus controlling my direction, and the person at the net has enough time to react to the volley since it has to travel longer, even at a more agreessive speed,
so like i said step about 2 to 3 steps from base line and hit away, it works and its almost like on the game, worked for me

uspta mp
04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
there is a video on i saw on youtube where you are sitting on the very corner of a chair drill. pro feeds you a ball and you need to stand up and move forward into the ball. pretty neat.

Fay
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I can relate an embarassing moment in this regard .... I was playing my first tournament as a 2.5 and could only find a match against a 3.5 player .... the opponent actually said during warm up when I asked her if she wanted to hit volleys, as I walked back to the baseline, "Well, yes if you can hit them to me ...." She probably didn't mean anything by that but you can be sure that I worked and worked to gain that warmup skill for a tourny. Yesterday I played two 3.5 matches (computer has not bumped me up yet) but I did a very respectable job of doing warmup. I was determined not to feel mortified again and I worked on it. I like played baseline and at first it was hard for me to "hit at someone" so I would imagine they were at the baseline and try to hit thru the person standing at the net.

(Yes, I have had people hit at me when playing the net, twice a man hit me in the nose twice in one doubles match ... supposed to be a social game but sometimes people are not "social" .... so I had to get better at defending my face. And until I get better I will move outta the way rather than try to turn my racquet, as the ball deflecting off my racquet was one of the two which hit me in the face.)