PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lefty backhand slice

split-step
04-13-2008, 04:50 PM
It's been a long time since I've played against a quality lefty. I usually don't have problems with leftys, but 2 days ago I played one with a nasty backhand slice. The ball has a ton of underspin on it and stays low and has some sidespin and I can't seem to time it well.

With a good righty slice I have no problem hitting passing shots off, but with this slice it's just weird to time and be even slightly aggressive on.

Does anyone have trouble with this?

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 05:32 PM
A good slice is a good slice, sometimes you have to respect a good shot. Don't go for winners on a shot that you're uncomfortable with.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I would just slice it back...If its a left slice, you should know that it will be going to your right. Most likely, if your righty, the lefty slice is jamming your backhand.

Andres
04-13-2008, 07:09 PM
I would just slice it back...If its a left slice, you should know that it will be going to your right. Most likely, if your righty, the lefty slice is jamming your backhand.
Ehmmm... a lefty slice is going to your LEFT.

split-step
04-13-2008, 07:18 PM
A good slice is a good slice, sometimes you have to respect a good shot. Don't go for winners on a shot that you're uncomfortable with.

Yeah, I had to hit very conservatively on that shot. The problem was my opponent was approaching on the shot when he saw I was having trouble returning it, so I was under pressure to hit a better return.

split-step
04-13-2008, 07:28 PM

I should have been more specific. I was having trouble returning it on my forehand side not backhand. And as Andres said, it was going to the left, jamming my forehand not backhand.

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 07:33 PM
It sounds like you just need more experience playing lefties. Just remember that it'll bounce to your left, and move your feet, always.

Nellie
04-14-2008, 06:50 AM
I have constantly think of taking the ball on the backhand side. otherwise, I am tempted to run around, only to get jammed and hit a weak shot.

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 07:00 AM

You are right! A good shot is a good shot. If that is the persons "weapon" then you must tread carefully and get away from that shot.

Great advice!

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I had to hit very conservatively on that shot. The problem was my opponent was approaching on the shot when he saw I was having trouble returning it, so I was under pressure to hit a better return.

:)
Obvisouly, you had trouble with this shot or you wouldnt be too concerned with it. It sort of mystified tennis and brought down your confidence a bit with this shot.

No worries! What could you have done to counter this shot better? There has to be something? What weakness glared out at you? Footwork? Judgement? What shot were you hitting to him so he could slice and charge?

Basically, he was hitting a ball that you had to hit up on. That was the opponents REAL intent. He chipped or sliced and followed it to the net. His next ball may have been an angled volley putting you really on your heels. However, he also found out that you didnt know what to do with the ball.

So, how could you have taken advantage of this? Keep it away from his slice? Was your forehand better then his forehand?

Tennisman912
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
split-step,
Try to watch and see how much sidespin he is adding and be ready to compensate. It just takes time. With time you will automatically adjust by seeing just how much sidespin vs. underspin they have on the ball. Then just don't jam yourself. Then you have two main two options. Sometimes it is easier to fight slice with slice ( that obviously won't work if he is approaching on that slice shot). If that is the case, your best option is to get to the ball as early as possible so you can get under the ball and hit it hard. The harder you hit it the less the spin will affect your shot. A good slice is a good slice. They almost all have at least a little sidespin whether lefty or righty. Practice is the only answer.

Look on the bright side though. I am a lefty and have filled in in social tennis and it has taken people a whole set to realize I was left handed (more than once). Most people have way more trouble adjusting to the serve, especially below 4.0 so you are ahead of the game in my book. Good tennis to you.

TM