PDA

View Full Version : 2HBH: Letting go after contact

cukoo
04-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I've seen Safin do this a couple times in a match before. After you make contact you let go with the non-dominant hand and quickly get back into the ready position. I've noticed myself doing this a few time wihen hitting around. Anyone else do this? Is this a recommended technique to continue?

tingwc
04-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Why would this help you get into the ready position any faster than keeping two hands on the racquet and bringing it back down to the ready position? Just convert to a 1HBH and be done with it...

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Bit close-minded^^, but I think it all depends on which feels more comfortable to you and which works better...

Djokovicfan4life
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
If you find this to be more comfortable then you should just move your non-dominant hand to the throat of the racquet and use a one-hander.

But don't let me steer you away from the two-hander, I can be a bit biased about the one-handed backhand, pretty much all the time actually. It just sounds like you're a natural one-hander judging by your post.

cukoo
04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Why would this help you get into the ready position any faster than keeping two hands on the racquet and bringing it back down to the ready position? Just convert to a 1HBH and be done with it...

Well it might not be to get into ready position faster, I'm just guessing. I do this subconsciously, when the shot is right, it's hard to explain. I have no plans on switching to a 1 hander. I actually make contact with both my hands on the racquet and then release my left. Even perhaps more surprising is that, my dominant arm in my 2 hander is my left.
I was just wondering if anyone else do this.

VikingSamurai
04-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Borg and Wilander always let go after hitting..

Ross K
04-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I've seen Safin do this a couple times in a match before. After you make contact you let go with the non-dominant hand and quickly get back into the ready position.

Yeah - me too... WHY?

lawrence
04-14-2008, 02:06 AM
youznhy does this too, he holds the throat and lets go

i only do this if the ball is coming right at me and i have no time to set up a 1hander, so i do temporary 2hbh for that hit haha

Rickson
04-14-2008, 02:09 AM
I've seen Safin do this a couple times in a match before. After you make contact you let go with the non-dominant hand and quickly get back into the ready position. I've noticed myself doing this a few time wihen hitting around. Anyone else do this? Is this a recommended technique to continue?

I used to do that quite a bit when I used a 2 hander so I found a solution to this problem. I switched to a one handed backhand.

morten
04-14-2008, 02:32 AM
youznhy does this too, he holds the throat and lets go

i only do this if the ball is coming right at me and i have no time to set up a 1hander, so i do temporary 2hbh for that hit haha

Well, i would not say Youzny has a 2hbh..

cukoo
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Is there any advantages/disadvantages of this technique (as oppose to following through across your body)?

bumblebee
04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
well, if you mean (if ur a righty) letting go of ur left hand, then ders nothing wrong...
i do it when i want to take the ball on rise and focusing on contact. or when im lazy.... but it works against pace reallly well.

soyizgood
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Is there any advantages/disadvantages of this technique (as oppose to following through across your body)?

Courier did this quite a bit too. Agassi led with his right hand for the backhand. Basically, you have a strong-hand dominant backhand. Now if you're able to hit the ball early using a more compact swing, you cold generate additional angles for your backhand (ala Agassi). If not, then you might be content for a steady, but not-so-offensive backhand (Courier, Borg). Pretty good company either way.