PDA

View Full Version : What to use to help convince my father on the MRT

iplaybetter
04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
He fails to see why i want to spend money to become an MRT, any help guys?
I cant seem to give him anything tangible enough.

eric892
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
MRT stands for Mass Rapid Transit? You live in Singapore?

YULitle
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Master Racquet Technician

Tell him you'll repay him or do some extra chores.

TennisNewbie85
04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
this might sound pretty stupid but since where on the acronym topic. what does IMO mean? ive been seeing it around...

YULitle
04-13-2008, 06:56 PM
in my opinion

Mansewerz
04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Hmm, it's hard to convince him at this age. Tell him you'll get a summer job out of it.

Zhou
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I told my dad that it is a cool title to have, just like having the title Ph.D.
I lucked out because I also told him it was only a 1 day thing that takes 3 hours. He thought it was a few weeks.

Mansewerz
04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
How much is it anyways? And are you gonna apply for a job at a club with it?

Zhou
04-13-2008, 07:14 PM
It is $109 for the member fee of the USRSA, and $95 for the actual test.

Wondertoy
04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Another bs title that you have pay for.

Zhou
04-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Lol. It helps you out but true, it is not necessary.

Mansewerz
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Yea, I know. It's kind of dumb that you need to pay for the test. The community needs your service. Someone like iplaybetter is most likely doing this to make some cash, but it's not even essential to his survival.

Either way, you still have the same amount of skill, it just means you could sit in a room for 3 hours and show your skill. pretty dumb.

Zhou
04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
It helps land you jobs for stringing at major superstores.

Swissv2
04-13-2008, 07:32 PM
MRT is a selling point that can help you get some good cash on the side, as well as the experience of stringing racquets allows you to save a ton of money doing your own racquets.

chrisplchs
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
are you old enough yet?

while its true you don't need it, it helps, especially when trying to get a foot in the door for tournament stringing but that should be after a few thousands racquets

iplaybetter
04-14-2008, 05:00 AM
i am 14 and i am hoping that it will help give me credibility

chrisplchs
04-14-2008, 05:09 AM
if i remember correct, you have to be at least 18 to get you MRT

iplaybetter
04-14-2008, 05:11 AM
no, they said nothing about an age, the youngest is younger i think

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 05:22 AM
your 14, you dont need an mrt is not like your going to be stringing for 1000's of people at superstores and customising everyones rackets, your better of just mentioning you have the equipment to do it.. and they may choose you..

iplaybetter
04-14-2008, 05:24 AM
still i think if i am looking to get a contract with a manufacturer a 14 old kid stringing out of his room is different from an MRT who happens to be a 14 year old kid

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 05:26 AM
you have been stringing since november ? might be rushing in a bit (: is the contract really going to be beneficial to you? how many rkts do you do ?

iplaybetter
04-14-2008, 05:28 AM
i learned when i was 12 got my machine last summer
probably around 150-200, but i also spend my free time thinking about stringing and reading things and watching and studying

TennisNewbie85
04-14-2008, 05:31 AM
spend more time on the court and become a world class tennis player. i think they make more then a world class stringer...

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 05:31 AM
ok... but dont oy uhave to get usrsa ... certified stringer, club stringer etc ? and stuff before you go to mrt.. ?

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 05:32 AM
spend more time on the court and become a world class tennis player. i think they make more then a world class stringer...

iplay is tipped to be world class? :)

YULitle
04-14-2008, 05:33 AM
ok... but dont oy uhave to get usrsa ... certified stringer, club stringer etc ? and stuff before you go to mrt.. ?

They required that at one point. Now anyone can take the test.

nickb
04-14-2008, 05:35 AM
You can take the MRT test at 14?!

theace21
04-14-2008, 05:45 AM
i learned when i was 12 got my machine last summer
probably around 150-200, but i also spend my free time thinking about stringing and reading things and watching and studying

I would suggest you spend more time thinking about playing tennis and girls...You get print up some business cards cheap to show people you are serious about stringing. MRT is not going to mean anything to the average Joe tennis players. It comes down to price and service. Good Luck...

Stan
04-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Totally unnecessary. Your father is right to question the value because in your situation there is none.

nickb
04-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I would suggest you spend more time thinking about playing tennis and girls...You get print up some business cards cheap to show people you are serious about stringing. MRT is not going to mean anything to the average Joe tennis players. It comes down to price and service. Good Luck...

Yup...at 14 there are better things to be doing.

nickb
04-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Totally unnecessary. Your father is right to question the value because in your situation there is none.

LOL....I like your posts stan...you say it as it is...no messing around :)

Nick

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Yup...at 14 there are better things to be doing.
Yeah tennis,GIRLS some pretty hot ones at tournies =] , mates. Thats it!
LOL....I like your posts stan...you say it as it is...no messing around :)

Nick
I agree , mostly reputation too and your name gets around. Whats MRT to an 75 year old who just broke there string?

chrisplchs
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
rep is everything. title is good if you want to work at a shop/store but if you are on your own, building your rep is priority numero uno. the money saved could be used for other stuff like strings or flyers or business cards

Zhou
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I am going out for my MRT over the summer as but need to study more and I am 14 also.

Nitro
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
This is truly one of the more preposterous threads I've seen.

ambro
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Guys, quit worrying about building up your rep as your title and try to build up your rep locally as a reputable stringer. I started three years ago at 15 years old, and started stringing for just 2 or 3 guys locally, as well as myself. Eventually, word got around that I was pretty good and consistent, and this year the local newspaper ran an article on me and my stringing. Now I string at least 6 racquets a week in season, and everyone knows to give it to me when they break a string or just want a fresh stringjob. Build up your rep as far as good stringing, quick turnaround time, and good prices and you won't need to worry about what your official title is.

iplaybetter
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM

why do you say that

chrisplchs
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM

I agree. 14 year old don't need to get MRTs but need to get digits instead.

It makes no sense for them to get one. If somebody can show me a good reason then I'm all for it as I have yet to think of one

Zhou
04-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey, give me one good reason why we shouldn't become MRTs?

ambro
04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
You're 14 years old. But since you aren't going to buy that as a reason, you probably aren't qualified as a stringer to get one. Not saying you won't/can't pass the test, but as a 14 year old, there is no way you have the experience needed to be a true MRT. Just work on your stringing, don't worry about your title. Also, its a waste of time and money. If you tell someone, hey, I'm an MRT! They'll likely have no idea what that is. Just go out and string some racquets, and play some tennis.

iplaybetter
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
well thanks guys you have really helped me a lot, being an MRT will make it almost impossible to get turned down for a stringing job unless they already have all MRT's but i guess thats a pointless benifet

ambro
04-14-2008, 07:00 PM
I doubt it. Even as an MRT, you're still 14 years old. MRT status does not outweigh years of experience, I don't care what you try to tell me. You aren't going to be getting any jobs stringing for an ATP tournament anytime soon, so just quit worrying about getting MRT certified.

dancraig
04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
It may be illegal for a fourteen year old to even be legally employed, especially around machinery.
Anyone doing the hiring would have huge liability issues.

chrisplchs
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
that the 1st reason i can give you, you aren't going to be able to work in a store. country club, maybe but no retail store can hire you i believe.

i don't know what your goal is with getting your MRT certificate. It took me a few years after getting my MRT to even get a sniff at stringing at tour events and I am extremely lucky it isn't even longer.

also, if a store has the stringer position filled, then they won't hire you no matter what, especially if the person is doing an already good job.

Zhou
04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
That is funny. The local tennis center has a crappy stringer stringing for them and they charge a fortune. I could make a fortune stringing for others... Being certified makes people trust me with their rackets.

TennisNinja
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't have MRT and I never heard about it until I read this thread. I string for people at the place I play at and kids from my school. People know I string well and I usually get it done quickly, so everyone gives their racquets to me to string. They don't care at all for MRT status. (I'm 14 also)

bobbyjonesrocks
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't have MRT and I never heard about it until I read this thread. I string for people at the place I play at and kids from my school. People know I string well and I usually get it done quickly, so everyone gives their racquets to me to string. They don't care at all for MRT status. (I'm 14 also)

I also have a wilson kblade 98. Is there a reason why you chose those strings for it?

chrisplchs
04-14-2008, 08:09 PM
That is funny. The local tennis center has a crappy stringer stringing for them and they charge a fortune. I could make a fortune stringing for others... Being certified makes people trust me with their rackets.

hahahaha. wait wait hahaha.

the MRT designation is something that a lot of other top stringers as well as myself have thought of just not renewing. To us, it really does not give us any inherent benefit, besides RSI magazine and pattern book (even then, we could always use the internet to look it up)

I don't question your ability to string. It is more like what are you trying to achieve with this designation. I thought it would be a cool thing to achieve but it really doesn't help me attract customers any. I have not had one guy ask me before stringing his racquet whether I am certified or what not. Build up your rep. and then you'll see a lot of racquets

dancraig
04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Here are some good ideas on how to build up your stringing business. Scroll down to the middle of the page:http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=175650&highlight=poly+bag+new+overgrip

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 06:43 AM
i will probably wait

Nitro
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Being certified makes people trust me with their rackets.

Who are you kidding? Just from reading this thread I wouldn't let you within ten miles of my racquets much less string them.

roger is the king
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
yo guys i got banned for spamming soz for that..but um..yeah zhou and iplay im 14 applying for mrt as well

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Who are you kidding? Just from reading this thread I wouldn't let you within ten miles of my racquets much less string them.

which one of us

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
yo guys i got banned for spamming soz for that..but um..yeah zhou and iplay im 14 applying for mrt as well

have you strung at all yet, get atleast 100 frames under your belt

NetJob
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm at a loss for the lack of encouragement, I think it's great that a 14 year old has an eye on his future and has found something that he loves to do. If you can enjoy your teens years AND maintain your drive in this industry then good for you. You may be the next Priority One. If becoming an MRT is something that will be a positive for YOU then go after it. It may mean pooling allowance for awhile, or maybe selling a racquet....show your Dad your serious see if he can match what you are able to save up. I applaud your learning as much as you can....keep it up.

Zhou
04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
hahahaha. wait wait hahaha.

the MRT designation is something that a lot of other top stringers as well as myself have thought of just not renewing. To us, it really does not give us any inherent benefit, besides RSI magazine and pattern book (even then, we could always use the internet to look it up)

I don't question your ability to string. It is more like what are you trying to achieve with this designation. I thought it would be a cool thing to achieve but it really doesn't help me attract customers any. I have not had one guy ask me before stringing his racquet whether I am certified or what not. Build up your rep. and then you'll see a lot of racquets

What I mean is I want to go string at my local tennis center. Take home the rackets, string them up on my Apex and return them.

Nitro
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
There's a big difference between having your eye on the future and obsessing over a hobby. "Having an eye on the future" implies the accomplishment of something useful. Only a truly naive person would assume that anyone who was a certified MRT was worth hiring or could be trusted with stringing a racquet. No store owner is going to hire a 14 year old because they have an MRT and quite frankly, anyone who trusts their racquets to a 14 year old probably doesn't care or know what an MRT even is. There is nothing wrong with learning to string for yourself but it should not be the focus of any tennis player until it is clear that they have absolutely no future in competitive tennis.

BTW, when did "racquet stringing" replace hot girls as the masturbatory fantasy of 14 year old boys?

Zhou
04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
It hasn't...

roger is the king
04-15-2008, 04:36 PM
have you strung at all yet, get atleast 100 frames under your belt

dude i've strung 200+ racquets w/ my coach 20 with my machine got alpha revo 4k ftw thanks iplay and yu and zhou

TennisNinja
04-15-2008, 04:59 PM
I also have a wilson kblade 98. Is there a reason why you chose those strings for it?

I use the NRG2 strings because I need soft strings for my arm since I have elbow problems. I used to use NXT but fthose broke really fast for me, and NRG2 lasts a bit longer. NRG2 feels similar to NXT even though I would prefer to use X-One (Costs more than NRG2 and isn't sold in reels).

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
dude i've strung 200+ racquets w/ my coach 20 with my machine got alpha revo 4k ftw thanks iplay and yu and zhou

sory i got a different impression from your other posts
the other ones implied that you new very little about rackets and strings, and those are an important part of the MRT test

Zhou
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I actually have strung not too many rackets, maybe 20. I just spend too much time on these forums and learning from other answers.
I do string very well though, just need to find a decent stand. But the Apex II has a stand that I can adjust to my perfect height.

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 05:26 PM
yeh, make a vid so we can see your technique, also string some more, i am waiting a bit i think

Zhou
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I am gonna get the Apex II in May as the ETA. I will get used to it in a couple weeks and then post a video of me stringing.

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
sounds good

Zhou
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Just need to find a video camera.

Zach
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
What are all of the topics that are included in the test? I'm thinking about taking the test. . . I'm also 14.

Zhou
04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.usrsa.com/certification/studyguide.html