PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova BH Slice

tennisplayer1981
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
In all the matches I have seen, I typically don't see Sharapova use a BH slice. The same could go for other players on the WTA. Why is that?

flyer
04-13-2008, 08:44 PM
^^^Because they are glorified ball machines, j/k I love womens tennis, they are just not at the men's level so you wont see things like variety, building points, changing spins, serve and volly, etc. they are not good enough to use those weapons with a high degree of success, in the future the womens game will advance and you will see some of those things, but they're not there yet thats all

princess bossass
04-13-2008, 09:56 PM
In all the matches I have seen, I typically don't see Sharapova use a BH slice. The same could go for other players on the WTA. Why is that?

She has one, just doesn't use it that often. She used it a lot, and to great effect, at AO. Especially during her match against Justine, the effectiveness of her backhand slice approach was a surprise to everyone, I think--most notably, to Justine.

That said, I can't disagree with flyer.

spiritdragon
04-13-2008, 10:08 PM
women's tennis is very one dimensional and pretty much just consists of baseline bashing. the only woman that i can think of that uses the backhand slice often and effectively is justine henin. she has a lot of variety and that is y she is at the top of women's tennis.

BOZO
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
I think Steffi Graf only hit slice backhand and never hit top spin as I remember.

princess bossass
04-13-2008, 11:23 PM
women's tennis is very one dimensional and pretty much just consists of baseline bashing. the only woman that i can think of that uses the backhand slice often and effectively is justine henin. she has a lot of variety and that is y she is at the top of women's tennis.

Schnyder? Maybe?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Schiavone, Molik, Garbin,Mauresmo, Loit? Perhaps? :confused:

Molik more than anyone, even Henin because she seldom hits through her backhand.

kabob
04-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Schnyder? Maybe?

Or Mauresmo. Amelie does nothing but slice her forehand and backhand returns of serve.

flyer
04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Or Mauresmo. Amelie does nothing but slice her forehand and backhand returns of serve.

Thats still not variety though, the trick to to slice sometimes on all shots when appropriate, always slicing returns and always hitting topspin on ground strokes is not variety

kabob
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Thats still not variety though, the trick to to slice sometimes on all shots when appropriate, always slicing returns and always hitting topspin on ground strokes is not variety

Who says she only uses the slice on returns? Have you never seen Mauresmo play? :confused: She uses a ton of variety, moreso than even Justine Henin.

Batoussai
04-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Schiavone, Molik, Garbin,Mauresmo, Loit? Perhaps? :confused:

Molik more than anyone, even Henin because she seldom hits through her backhand.

Henin seldom hits through her backhand??????????????????????

Couldn't let this one pass. She hits through her ball for about 75-80% of the time...

flyer
04-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Who says she only uses the slice on returns? Have you never seen Mauresmo play? :confused: She uses a ton of variety, moreso than even Justine Henin.

I've only seen her play prolly 5 times and Im sure I wasnt paying much attention usually, also I havent seen her for a while

Fedexeon
04-14-2008, 02:29 AM

Amelie Mauresmo has a beautiful backhand slice too.

superman1
04-14-2008, 02:36 AM

They just don't have to. The men mostly only do it when they don't have time to hit over the backhand. Women don't have this problem nearly as often, not so much because the ball isn't moving as fast, but more because if the woman is put out of position, she's not going to be able to run fast enough to even get a slice on the ball.

That and they are just human ball machines trained to hit the crap out of the ball, and hope that they can win points that way. There's not much improvising there.

Rickson
04-14-2008, 02:40 AM

She's not very good at it. I've seen her do a dropshot with it once and it looked pretty bad. I can see why she doesn't use the slice often.

janipyt05
04-14-2008, 03:51 AM
on clay isn’t that a great shot to employ, if hit right it can become a dangerous shot to deal with for the returnee, Serena does play a b/h slice but looks all wrong sometimes she gets it right other times it just sits up. They are very few ladies with variety in their game that encompass such shot selection, these days girls just hit the stuffing out of the ball but can't myself understand why they just think the game should be played that way, the great thinker of the game Hingis had a little issue with cocaine there is JH and a few others

93sq.
04-14-2008, 04:45 AM
Oh wait...
have you ever seen mauresmo!?

flyer
04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
They just don't have to. The men mostly only do it when they don't have time to hit over the backhand. Women don't have this problem nearly as often, not so much because the ball isn't moving as fast, but more because if the woman is put out of position, she's not going to be able to run fast enough to even get a slice on the ball.

That and they are just human ball machines trained to hit the crap out of the ball, and hope that they can win points that way. There's not much improvising there.

You stole by ball machines analogy!!! J/k truth hurts.

1970CRBase
04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
is it that the women have trouble slicing because of those big oversize widebody (bashing) rackets?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-15-2008, 04:22 AM
Henin seldom hits through her backhand??????????????????????

Couldn't let this one pass. She hits through her ball for about 75-80% of the time...

I said ALICIA MOLIK slices her backhand more that Henin and seldom hits through her backhand.

Maybe you should have let that one pass, because I might have seen a few of Henin matches too, and nobody hits through a one hander better. :-|

jmverdugo
04-15-2008, 04:34 AM
I saw Sharapova doing a THBH slice in her match agains Cibulkova. Also this little lady (Cibulkova) has a beatufill and really effective OHBH slice.
I think they dont use it because the dont have to. Just like Davydenko almost never use it. And just recently Nadal is using it in short balls. However I am pretty sure they know how to do it. Women tennis have become what you call a baseline bashing because that is the kind of game that has proven to be succesfull nowadays, what is the big deal? I would love to be a human ball machine if that helps me win matches.

tintin
04-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Sharapova if anyone realises didn't face the elite clay court players:Henin,Kuznetsova and /ivanovic to name a few to win that title on green clay;the same green clay Roddick and Blake keeps on playing and winning then annually losing in the 1st round in Paris.
Davenport made it to just semis in Paris due to Clijsters choking.
anyone remembers how Ivanovic thrashed and I mean thrashed Maria in Paris?:)
Maria has never made the finals at a real clay court tournament and with a full draw of players,rest assure she won't winning a damn thing anytime soon unless she has a Patty Schnyder again:lol:
that backhand slice of hers would be pounded on like a drum;she might have improved but next time she faces a real clay court player;she's gone:lol:

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Davenport made it to just semis in Paris due to Clijsters choking.

Tintin,

What does Lindsay's 1998 semifinal run in Paris have to do with Kim Clijsters? :confused:

tintin
04-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Tintin,

What does Lindsay's 1998 semifinal run in Paris have to do with Kim Clijsters? :confused:

well Sharapova is the modern Davenport wether some like or not.Just like Davenport is a terrible mover,so is Maria.
2nd of all,both Clijsters and Schnyder choked against lindsay and Maria handing them the wins.
unless you got a short memory,Maria was MP down in the 1st round and mp down against Patty.
please don't tell me that you expect Maria to beat Henin or Kuznetsova on slow red clay right?:confused::lol:

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-15-2008, 07:27 AM
well Sharapova is the modern Davenport wether some like or not.Just like Davenport is a terrible mover,so is Maria.
2nd of all,both Clijsters and Schnyder choked against lindsay and Maria handing them the wins.
unless you got a short memory,Maria was MP down in the 1st round and mp down against Patty.
please don't tell me that you expect Maria to beat Henin or Kuznetsova on slow red clay right?:confused::lol:

That's not what I asked you, I asked what did Kim Clijsters choking back in 2005 have where Lindsay made the quarterfinals have to do with her 1998 semifinals run, no wins were handed to her during that run.

I didn't say anything about Sharapova beating Henin or Kuznetsova on the slow red clay.

NoBadMojo
04-15-2008, 08:56 AM

I think many/most of the WTAers do have some sort of one-hander. i dont know which Sharapova some of the posters are watching, but the one I've watched and hit on the next court to, doesnt have a one hander. When she gets pulled really wide, she switches the racquet to her left hand and hits a really bad left handed forehand.

I would conjecture the reason why she doesnt have one, is because she was never taught it and never practiced it, and from an early age became used to dictating points to the point that she didnt need one.....a sorry reflection of the WTA that a recently former #1 didnt even have to possess a one hander to be #1 in the world

split-step
04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
While she doesn't use it often, Maria definitely possesses a backhand slice. I have seen her hit it a number of times, including her bagel drubbing of Justine Henin at the Australian Open. She was even asked about it during her press conference after the match (you can look it up).

She also has a good drop shot (when she is confident).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUoXWmvGaLE point starting at 00:32

I'm not sure who is in the current wta top 10 but Mauresmo has a great slice, Ivanovic has a good one, Serena has improved hers, as has Venus, Kuznetsova has a great one, and of course Justine.

I don't believe I've ever seen Jelena Jankovic hit one.

NoBadMojo
04-15-2008, 09:22 AM

there are some serious similarities..they're the same height and hit the same type of ball from the backcourt. they both move better from side to side than people give them credit for, but both dont move up/back well. lindsay has more variety in her game (a one hander/volleys much better/better serve, etc)...maria has the youth and has less variety so less things to breakdown

split-step
04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
One big difference between Davenport and Sharapova. Mental toughness. This is why Maria at age 20 is one major away from a career grandslam.

juanparty
01-23-2013, 09:39 PM
i never saw Sharapova doing bh slice, to me the most boring top player to watch. ever

mikeler
01-24-2013, 06:48 AM
I think Steffi Graf only hit slice backhand and never hit top spin as I remember.

She would hit topspin passing shots off her backhand. It was a beautiful shot but she rarely used it.