PDA

View Full Version : Serious question about stringing

mishin900
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi, I've been using gamma x-2 for several days and strung 5 rackets with syn. guts and multis. However, I just tried to string topspin cyber flash and the string broke during stringing mains. I just put the string to the drop weight as usual and the weight only droped like 30 degrees so I pushed down a bit to pull the tension and the string broke. I know that I'm not supposed to touch the weight while tensionning, so what should I do?

p.s. I've asked my friends who have strung over 100 rackets if I did well on the rackets that I strung, and they all said I did well, so I don't think I have a problem with stringing syn. guts and multis.

lethalfang
04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
If you push the arm down when it's up by 30 degrees, you're probably over-tensioning by 100 pounds.
Re-pull the string.

supermario343
04-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Hmm thats weird...maybe it was a faulty length of string? Maybe you used too much force on the string im not sure but what gauge are you using of cyberflash? I have a 17g reel of the stuff myself

WildVolley
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
In my experience, cyberflash is prone to breaking while stringing. I've had it snap at grommets while stringing while other poly has no problems in the same racquet.

However, you shouldn't be shoving down on the arm with a drop-weight. Release tension and start over instead.

mishin900
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm using 17g. But what should I do if the weight doesn't drop enough to make the drop weight bar parellel? I know what to do when the weight falls more than enough, but I don't know what to do when the weight doesn't fall enough. I usually push the weight down when it's off by around 5 degrees, but with poly, the weight doesn't even fall half way in some parts.

lethalfang
04-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Pushing the weight down is so wrong. You can over-tension by a good 5-10 pounds on a synthetic gut if you pull down even 5 degrees.
To see how the dropweight tensioning system works: see this post (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=170414).
Take the string out of the gripper, and re-grip the string. There is no other way.

almerickso
04-14-2008, 12:10 AM
mishin900,

polys dont stretch, if you push it down u will over tension and break the string...

please see this video, it shows how u can start the feed/weigth so that it will fall near horizontal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxcs5dUoE8

hope this helps :D

YULitle
04-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi, I've been using gamma x-2 for several days and strung 5 rackets with syn. guts and multis. However, I just tried to string topspin cyber flash and the string broke during stringing mains. I just put the string to the drop weight as usual and the weight only droped like 30 degrees so I pushed down a bit to pull the tension and the string broke. I know that I'm not supposed to touch the weight while tensionning, so what should I do?

p.s. I've asked my friends who have strung over 100 rackets if I did well on the rackets that I strung, and they all said I did well, so I don't think I have a problem with stringing syn. guts and multis.

Pushing the weight down is so wrong. You can over-tension by a good 5-10 pounds on a synthetic gut if you pull down even 5 degrees.
To see how the dropweight tensioning system works: see this post (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=170414).
Take the string out of the gripper, and re-grip the string. There is no other way.

Too tired to repeat what he got right anyway

lethalfang
04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
And...... when you're off by 5 degrees, just leave it. The error is less than a pound when it's only off by 5 degrees, but pushing it down....... then the error depends on the elasticity of the string, and it's certainly much greater than 1 pound.