PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

Bertchel Banks
01-07-2005, 09:21 PM
...is this book an exciting murder mystery, or a propaganda piece for the sport of tennis?

Is Dan Brown a tennis fan or what?

Bertchel Banks
01-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Tee hee,

No comments, or haven't we read the book?

Christians? Catholics? Masculin-ists(hehe)?

Mark55
01-09-2005, 12:56 PM
I read the book last summer but I dont remember anything about tennis in it?
But I know Dan Brown says he plays tennis when hes not writing

K!ck5w3rvE
01-11-2005, 10:56 PM
I was about to answer, but then I saw that it was by Serena-lover lol.

K!ck5w3rvE
01-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Nah sorry. I've read it, but I don't get what you mean. The closest thing I can think of was on an interview with Sharapova, she was asked what she was reading currently (this was a while back) and she the the DV Code.

Phil
01-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Let me put it to you this way. If MARIA SHARAPOVA is reading it, then it MUST be required reading for any thoughtful, deep-thinking adult.

Seriously, though, any book that sells as much copies as DvC and is read by so many secretaries on trains, and discussed on such high-culture venues as OPRAH and REGIS is, as a rule, a piece of crap. But a POPULAR piece of crap. So I'm a snob...whachyagonnadoabaudit?

lovethegame
01-12-2005, 03:49 AM
such a good book

tennis-n-sc
01-12-2005, 04:03 AM
I thought the book was poorly written but with a controversial, interesting premis. It is not a spell binder. Like Phil says, there are certainly better reading materials out there. But like the masses, I wasted my time reading it, LOL.

Kevin T
01-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Not a great book but a fun read. I would compare reading it to watching television; you don't even realize you're doing it but you thought it was entertaining. Just another reason I don't read a lot of fiction written since the 1940's.

Bertchel Banks
01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
...He caressed her bosom, her green eyes blazed, her red hair burned ...

24(?) Rue Haxo, the location of the Suisse Depository, the place where the keystone was "hidden". Apparently it's just next door to Roland Garros, and the Cryptex is the size of a can of tennis balls.

I currently reading the book and find it very informative with regards to the origins of symbols.

In the beginning I thought it was pandering to feminist America, until I realized the Sophie "the cryptologist" was reduced to a spectator in the deciphering process.

Anyway, I read on...wonder what indignity the albino monk will be subjected to next?...

Nosoupforyou
01-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I thought Angels and Demons was better, but it was pretty good.

python
01-13-2005, 08:15 AM
It's candy as far as books go. I read it to see what the big deal was. As it turned out, it was much ado about nothing.

ollinger
01-13-2005, 07:05 PM
DaVinci Code declares the Holy Grail to be not an implement but a person. An ideal lesson for some of the regulars of this board.
________
EXTREME-Q VAPORIZER TEMPERATURE (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

max
01-13-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm interested in intellectual history and art history and I'm Catholic. All I can say is, it's a good fiction thriller. Lot of fun to read, but wholly off base with respect to art history and the Church. Still, if you tell yourself to set aside all the errors and misleading stuff (that sounds good, of course), and just run with the flow, it's a lot of fun to read.

dAgEnIuS
01-14-2005, 06:34 PM
i was surprised when he mentioned the Roland Garros area...

i loved the book, but it had too much history for my brain....
i liked the Digital Fortress and Deception Point the best out of all of Dan Brown's book,,,
just a right amount of action with a creative storyline...

Steve Huff
01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm about 3/4 of the way through it now. Like Tennis-n-sc, I find it poorly written, but with a good theme. He repeats himself too much, and seems to be searching for ways to draw the book out. He does end most of the chapters with something that makes you want to go on to the next chapter though. But, his intro and initial mention of the "Holy Grail" as something that will change the face of the earth is something his conclusion cannot possibly live up to. As for the accuracy, I don't really know (it is fiction, however), but I would imagine that any Catholic would find it a little offensive, or at least get defensive about the storyline.

matchpoints
01-15-2005, 10:58 AM
I thought Angels and Demons was better, but it was pretty good.

Second that.