PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tension Is...

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 02:55 AM
hi i am stringing 3 yonex nanospeed RQ 5's for customers and the RT is 50-70.. would the factory tension just be halfway between the two ? thanks

Tim W
04-14-2008, 03:02 AM
It is usually a lot less than the middle of the two. I know for a fact that they wouldn't factory string Yonex's at 60 lbs.
Prolly around 50 of you are lucky.

morten
04-14-2008, 03:05 AM
i would guess higher, because the rackets may be in the store for a long while...

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 03:09 AM
It is usually a lot less than the middle of the two. I know for a fact that they wouldn't factory string Yonex's at 60 lbs.
Prolly around 50 of you are lucky.

how are you so confident?

Valjean
04-14-2008, 03:10 AM
The reason for the large tension range in the past was that Yonex tensions actually varied with the grip size. The company used to inscribe the more limited specific range for each frame on the shaft; they don't seem to now, though.

Perhaps you should contact Yonex.

Also: "Note:....String X's 5% lower than M's for maximum performance."

downey stringing master
04-14-2008, 03:13 AM
well the problem really is.. the woman who gave me the rackets came to me because her last stringer "strung it up like a trampoline" so i was just wondering on a tension

Valjean
04-14-2008, 07:57 AM
You need to know what type of machine it was strung on last time versus the kind you have to work out that tension, too. And you haven't said what string you are going to use, or if it's the same one.

YULitle
04-14-2008, 08:11 AM
I think the discussion is irrelevant as the tension has dropped an unknowable amount since it was strung.

almerickso
04-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I think the discussion is irrelevant as the tension has dropped an unknowable amount since it was strung.

bingo

my sentiments exactly

Valjean
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey--it still has to be strung. Help this man a bit, anyway! As it is, the two of you would be telling the woman off, like care she should.

almerickso
04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
well technically, since there are 3 racquets, you can string one with some cheap strings and compare that tension with the other two racquets...

that should give you an idea how much to adjust...

cut out the cheap stuff and string with the strings she wants on all 3 of em...

is it worth the time and the cheap strings? well, in my opinion, yes... she has 3 racquets and is particular about tension, if she likes your job she will be back...

and you now have a new happy client

well if she still doesnt like your strings then i guess that's just too bad... but hey... dump that in to marketing cost :D

deme08
04-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Is it ok to use multis with 1.32mm gauge in the X and VS gut 16 1.30mm gauge in the mains? Or should I match the mains with 1.30mm gauge multis in the X?

Thanks

almerickso
04-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Is it ok to use multis with 1.32mm gauge in the X and VS gut 16 1.30mm gauge in the mains? Or should I match the mains with 1.30mm gauge multis in the X?

Thanks

there's no concrete or right answer... its basically up to your own preference...

but if it were me, and its just what i would do myself and i'm not recommending it, i would string it with a thinner cross string... 1.25 or 1.20

most of the strings i break are in the mains and i've nvr broken crosses so yeah... i go with as thin as possible with the crosses... but since its nat gut and its the first time i'm gonna be doing it, i would go with 17 g first instead of 18g... just in case... then if 17g doesnt break in the cross then i'll try 18g next time :D

origmarm
04-15-2008, 05:24 AM
well the problem really is.. the woman who gave me the rackets came to me because her last stringer "strung it up like a trampoline" so i was just wondering on a tension

While not being a stringing expert, if her last stringer strung them "like a trampoline" I would err high on the tension no? If mid is at 50-70 go 62 or something and then you probably won't get any complaints I would think....

nickb
04-15-2008, 08:39 AM
While not being a stringing expert, if her last stringer strung them "like a trampoline" I would err high on the tension no? If mid is at 50-70 go 62 or something and then you probably won't get any complaints I would think....

Yep...I would string them around 60-63.

Nick

deme08
04-15-2008, 09:36 AM
there's no concrete or right answer... its basically up to your own preference...

but if it were me, and its just what i would do myself and i'm not recommending it, i would string it with a thinner cross string... 1.25 or 1.20

most of the strings i break are in the mains and i've nvr broken crosses so yeah... i go with as thin as possible with the crosses... but since its nat gut and its the first time i'm gonna be doing it, i would go with 17 g first instead of 18g... just in case... then if 17g doesnt break in the cross then i'll try 18g next time :D

but isn't thinner strings on the crosses will cut through the mains a lot quicker?