PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice the stab Roddick took at Gasquet?

IanRichardson
04-14-2008, 06:32 AM
In the interview after roddick clinched the tie for the US, he was talking about spain and said something to the effect of "regardless of if it is a surface I dont like, I will be there". To me, given what was being said about gasquet not liking the court being the reason for his not playing live matches I think that may have been a bit of a shot at the Frenchman.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I was away all weekend at the Davis Cup woohoo.

simi
04-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Out of context. He was not taking a conscious or unconscious dig at Richard. Everyone knows his (Roddick's) dedication to Davis Cup. He was just saying that he realizes the odds are against him, but he is going to support the team and try anyway.

Stchamps
04-14-2008, 07:10 AM
I think it has to do with a lot of people being "injured" when they don't want to play.

flyer
04-14-2008, 07:15 AM
I think it was a stab at Gasquet but not only Gasquet, maybe Nadal last year when he didnt come and a lot of other players such as Roger Federer, etc who put their own priorities ahead of Davis Cup and maybe Roddick is at a slight disadvantage in that context because hes always there no matter what

austro
04-14-2008, 07:20 AM
and right they are! Davis Cup is of the utmost irrelevance! Who cares whether a player is American, French, Swiss or Spanish? This just harks back to an outdated 19th century idea, that of nation states... I wish the abolish this tourney but it looks like they are going the other route.

As for Roddick, I don't think he alluded to Gasquet in this instance. he ain't that subtle...

IanRichardson
04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
and right they are! Davis Cup is of the utmost irrelevance! Who cares whether a player is American, French, Swiss or Spanish? This just harks back to an outdated 19th century idea, that of nation states... I wish the abolish this tourney but it looks like they are going the other route.

As for Roddick, I don't think he alluded to Gasquet in this instance. he ain't that subtle...

so do you not like the olympics either i'm guessing? just asking...

CGMemphis
04-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Wow, another pointless thread brought to you by keyboard commandos.

RedWeb
04-14-2008, 08:20 AM
People, professional tennis players are so much more mentally and physically tougher than us "average joes" that it is just ridiculous to see posters complain about it.

IanRichardson
04-14-2008, 08:25 AM

so happy you added to your post count on this pointless thread

CGMemphis
04-14-2008, 08:27 AM
so happy you added to your post count on this pointless thread

Ditto. :twisted:

It was no dig at Gasquet, Roddick was making a general surface as the court surface is an issue ANY time the venue is annouced. If you follow tennis AT ALL this is old hat.

As for the Davis Cup/national borders going away...wow.

flyer
04-14-2008, 08:28 AM

who cares if you dont like it dont comment on it, its still on the board so some people are interested obviously, so start a better thread of keep it to yourself

IanRichardson
04-14-2008, 08:29 AM
People, professional tennis players are so much more mentally and physically tougher than us "average joes" that it is just ridiculous to see posters complain about it.

can you please point out where someone complained about mental or physical toughness?

this thread is not bashing anyone, I just wanted to know what people thought about that comment.

I like roddick, I like gasquet it just struck me kind of odd that roddick said that, regardless of intention. Thats all

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I think Roddick was referring to the upcomming tie on red clay in Spain. It's well known that Roddick doesn't like playing on red clay. He was stating that he'll be there no matter what the conditions are. I salute Roddick on his commitment even though his manner is often quite cocky and offputting.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-14-2008, 08:32 AM
By the way, Gasquet should worry more about the digs he'll surely recieve from the French media!

IanRichardson
04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I think Roddick was referring to the upcomming tie on red clay in Spain. It's well known that Roddick doesn't like playing on red clay. He was stating that he'll be there no matter what the conditions are. I salute Roddick on his commitment even though his manner is often quite cocky and offputting.

yeah i realize he was talking about the tie coming up on red clay, but it was just interesting to me that he made a comment about being there regardless of surface given the fact a lot of people were upset with gasquet about allegedly not playing because of the fast court

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-14-2008, 08:45 AM
yeah i realize he was talking about the tie coming up on red clay, but it was just interesting to me that he made a comment about being there regardless of surface given the fact a lot of people were upset with gasquet about allegedly not playing because of the fast court

It may have been a subtle dig at Gasquet, but would that really surprise you? We are talking about Roddick, the same guy who was trashing his opponent (Paul-Henri Mathieu) during his match.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Another classic example of someone posting one line of an interview and making premature judgments. Maybe if they were talking about Gasquet in the interview you'd have an argument, but otherwise you're just jumping to conclusions.

I'm sure Roddick has respect for Gasquet, considering the beat down he received at Wimby.

orangettecoleman
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
If he was talking about Gasquet he is 100 percent justified in doing so. Gasquet needs to grow a pair and quit flaking out of matches whenever they are inconvienent for him in some way or another, whether it's a surface he doesn't like to play on or an opponent he doesn't like to play against (see the US Open default against Donald Young).

gj011
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Roddick is a jerk so you could expect from him to be classless, but in this case he was obviously not talking about Gasquet.

Fee
04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
In the interview after roddick clinched the tie for the US, he was talking about spain and said something to the effect of "regardless of if it is a surface I dont like, I will be there". To me, given what was being said about gasquet not liking the court being the reason for his not playing live matches I think that may have been a bit of a shot at the Frenchman.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I was away all weekend at the Davis Cup woohoo.

No, it wasn't a dig at Gasquet at all, it was a response to what has been obvious since Saturday when Spain beat Germany. Spain will pick the slowest red clay they can find to put the US team at the biggest disadvantage possible. All Andy was saying is that he doesn't care what the surface is, he doesn't care if every tennis fan, tennis writer, and tennis bookie in the free world makes the US team complete underdogs, he will still go and play no matter what. It's Davis Cup, if he's healthy he's there (he tried to go one year when he wasn't healthy and PMac had to force him to stay home).

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
No, it wasn't a dig at Gasquet at all, it was a response to what has been obvious since Saturday when Spain beat Germany. Spain will pick the slowest red clay they can find to put the US team at the biggest disadvantage possible. All Andy was saying is that he doesn't care what the surface is, he doesn't care if every tennis fan, tennis writer, and tennis bookie in the free world makes the US team complete underdogs, he will still go and play no matter what. It's Davis Cup, if he's healthy he's there (he tried to go one year when he wasn't healthy and PMac had to force him to stay home).

There you go. Roddick is a nice guy who's willing to play for his country regardless of the conditions. Not letting him play would be much, MUCH more classless than this supposed "shot" at Gasquet.

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Gasquet deserves a stab -- at least. Why's the best player on the team playing the most irrelevant match of the weekend? Punk.

http://www.******************.blogspot.com

That is disappointing to hear. :cry:

Hopefully someone will light a fire under Gasket and he'll be able to rise to the top. I'd hate to see all that talent going to waste.

The real shame is Tsonga not getting to play actually, I wish someone could invent "injury free" pills.

IanRichardson
04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Another classic example of someone posting one line of an interview and making premature judgments. Maybe if they were talking about Gasquet in the interview you'd have an argument, but otherwise you're just jumping to conclusions.

I'm sure Roddick has respect for Gasquet, considering the beat down he received at Wimby.

im not trying to jump to conclusions, I just wanted to know what other peoples thoughts on the statement was, to see if anyone else interpreted it the way I did... that is why I love TTW you can we can have an argument/ disagreement here about what the best drink during a match is and people will claim that obviously gatorade is better than water and vice versa

I guess my question now is how do you guys know it wasnt a stab at gasquet? I am proud of people saying that it isnt, but to me there is no evidence either way without talking to roddick himself. So don't say that I have no argument because neither do you. I dont know and neither do any of you guys, I was just wondering how people interpreted it. Please don't say I am wrong though, you can say you interpreted it a different way, but neither of us can prove anything so calling me wrong isn't really an option.

gj011
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
so calling me wrong isn't really an option.

You are obviously 100% wrong.

There you go. It is always an option.

soyizgood
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Gasquet can have some R&R in Vichy France. :)

Phil
04-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Why the hell would Roddick even care whether or not Gasquet plays? I doubt he's even thought of THAT angle...but leave it to some of the TW crew to come away with that "interpretation" of a harmless comment.

Fee
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
im not trying to jump to conclusions, I just wanted to know what other peoples thoughts on the statement was, to see if anyone else interpreted it the way I did... that is why I love TTW you can we can have an argument/ disagreement here about what the best drink during a match is and people will claim that obviously gatorade is better than water and vice versa

I guess my question now is how do you guys know it wasnt a stab at gasquet? I am proud of people saying that it isnt, but to me there is no evidence either way without talking to roddick himself. So don't say that I have no argument because neither do you. I dont know and neither do any of you guys, I was just wondering how people interpreted it. Please don't say I am wrong though, you can say you interpreted it a different way, but neither of us can prove anything so calling me wrong isn't really an option.

Let me take a stab at it, just for fun. You're wrong. ;)

Roddick didn't take a stab at Gasquet for a couple of reasons:

1) He doesn't care and didn't care who he played because he was confident that he could take out anyone on the French team on that particular surface.

2) He respects Gasquet (I know, there are some on this forum who refuse to believe that Andy respects anyone, but whatever). Yeah, Blake beat Gasquet a few weeks ago, but the last time Andy played him, he lost. He'll talk trash to/about Gasquet next time he beats him. ;)

3) Lacoste pays both of them a lot of money and won't take too kindly to Andy talking smack about a player that he's featured in an ad campaign with. Money talks.

4) Because he was talking about Spain and the fact that Spain is going to put the US on clay (again). Andy's already been there to face a beat down and he's not afraid to go there and face a beat down again. If anything, he was just being his usual arrogant, cocky, 'frat boy' self, right?(something many members of this forum just LOVE him for).

Okay, this is too much sarcasm, even for me. Seriously, I don't think Andy was thinking about Gasquet at all, he was just looking ahead to what waits for them in Spain, kind of throwing down the challenge at them (which was kind of silly since there is no doubt what surface they will choose). :)

quest01
04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't think Roddick said anything negative towards Gasquet during the post match interview. Deep down inside Roddick knew Gasquet was scared to play him on a quick indoor surface. Gasquet obviously has been struggling lately and he knew that he had a slim chance against Roddick. So the fact is Gasquet chickened out and got scared.

zagor
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
He was talking about their USA's upcoming Davis Cup clash with Spain on clay were they'll be huge underdogs,I'm sure Gasquet wasn't even on his mind when he said that.I have a lot of respect for Roddick's dedication to Davis Cup when nowadays most top players prefer to avoid it anytime they can,you know Andy gonna always show up for Davis Cup and play his heart out.

Morrissey
04-14-2008, 10:15 PM

Yeah, he's obviously playing hard for Davis Cup because that's really the only thing he can play for to add to his resume. Because winning Grand Slams certainly isn't the case. Or chasing #1 either. SO of course his dedication to Davis Cup is all that he's got left to salvage his career.

simi
04-15-2008, 06:42 AM

Roddick didn't take a stab at Gasquet for a couple of reasons:

5) As Sigmund Freud once reputed to have said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

tintin
04-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Gasquet has had knee tendinitis since the start of the season and from what I heard;he had already told Forget that he wasn't going to play and pick Grosjean to face Blake instead.
He did say that he wasn't going to do like last year and screw up his clay court season after getting injured(ab tear) during a dc tie against Youzhny last year.You really think gasquet gives 2 sh/it about dc when he's got Monte Carlo,Rome and Hamburg to play compared to Roddick and Blake who won't play or barely play or be in contention to win a damn thing?;)

Jon Rudy
04-15-2008, 07:14 AM
"I know it's not convenient for us. I know we're not going to be the favorites," Roddick said. "But I know we're going to go and we're going to try. The thing about this team is we don't play when it's convenient. That's probably different from some of the other countries."

Is that the quote you were referring to? If so, I don't think Roddick was aiming it toward Gasquet and I didn't read the entire interview transcript to see if that was taken out of context so I'm not going to make any assumptions about what he meant. Definitely seems like an interesting comment though.

alienhamster
04-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Wha? Since when did nation states become "outdated"?

Morrissey
04-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't think Roddick's clever enough to be that subtle. Besides why should he go after Gasquet? Because he beat him last year? Alot of people beat him, he's gonna have a personal grudge against people who can beat him now? As with his constant whining and obvious "smart ***" remarks to chair umpires he's not the kind to say things subtly. Roddick will be obvious and in sarcastic ways about whatever is bothering him.

Klatu Verata Necktie
04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think Roddick's clever enough to be that subtle. Besides why should he go after Gasquet? Because he beat him last year? Alot of people beat him, he's gonna have a personal grudge against people who can beat him now? As with his constant whining and obvious "smart ***" remarks to chair umpires he's not the kind to say things subtly. Roddick will be obvious and in sarcastic ways about whatever is bothering him.

You may be right, but I've got a different theory as to why Roddick loves Davis Cup. I think Roddick is a frat-boy at heart who never exorcised his demons in college, and uses Davis Cup as a surrogate. Can you picture Roddick as the ringleader of a boys-club frat? I can.

Morrissey
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
You may be right, but I've got a different theory as to why Roddick loves Davis Cup. I think Roddick is a frat-boy at heart who never exorcised his demons in college, and uses Davis Cup as a surrogate. Can you picture Roddick as the ringleader of a boys-club frat? I can.

Yeah definitely. But he also knows that's the one area Fed can't really hurt him. Mainly because Fed chooses not to play for more important things like staying #1 and winning Grand Slams. Also because Fed doesn't have a good enough team to win a Davis Cup. So Roddick is safe from Fed in Davis Cup. It's the only serious hardware he can win because he's not winning Slams or chasing the #1 ranking like Nadal and Joker currently are.

r2473
04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Roddick stabbed Gasquet?

scineram
04-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Roddick stabbed Gasquet?

His real name is GŁnther Roddick.

tangerine
04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
I think it was a stab at Gasquet because Gasquet had complained earlier about the fast court surface and then he bailed on the Roddick match.