PDA

View Full Version : Do polys ever feel "dead" after a while?

ATXtennisaddict
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I haven't restrung my racquet in a long time. It has a full poly job on it. i don't know but is it possible for it to become "dead" after a long time not changing strings?

Valjean
04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Surely you jest..

"Polyester - a very durable string designed for string breakers-not much power or feel. Polyester strings became very popular with ATP players, because it provides added durability, doesn't move and 'deadens' the stringbed. While this isn't a desireable feature for most recreational players, it is for many of todays ATP and (some) WTA players. They're bigger, stronger, swing faster and use more powerful racquets than players from the past. Often used in hybrids, combining polyester mains with softer synthetic or natural gut mains. This offers the durability benefits of polyester, while reducing the stiff, dead feel. Also easier to string than 100% polyester. Not recommended for beginning players or players with arm injury."--TW's Learning Center

ATXtennisaddict
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Fresh string jobs always feel good. What about when it's been there for many many months.

flash9
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Poly based strings are very durable (ie they do not break), but will lose their playability the fastest.

stormholloway
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
What kind of string do you use? Brand wise.

PBODY99
04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I haven't restrung my racquet in a long time. It has a full poly job on it. i don't know but is it possible for it to become "dead" after a long time not changing strings?
For me they do. When I cannot generate the minimum level of spin I'm used to, it time for them to go. It is also an issue of arm safety with me.

supermario343
04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
What kind of string do you use? Brand wise.

Pro Supex or Babolat are great in my opinion. I also use Topspin, Prince, or Gosen as far as polys or synthetic gut is concerned :)

f1 tech
04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
From my experience, I think most polys feel dead after about 5 hours. It feels very boardy to me after that time.

Richie Rich
04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
it will feel dead if it's been sitting for a while

Cruzer
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Is it possible for poly to go dead after a long time not changing strings?!?! Is a 25 pound cat fat?

kairosntx
04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
OUCH! I guess it's time to cut my strings out and get my racquets restrung.

Tennisman912
04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't notice much difference in my full poly setup, but that is probably because they only last 8-12 hours on average. Bummer.

TM

Radical Shot
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Polys go dead real quick. A fresh string job is awesome, but after a few hours, especially if you're a bit hitter, cut them out and restring.

Playing with a poly over several months is a bit like boiling a frog. If you start with cold water, the frog doesn't realize it's warming up until it's dead. Similarly, when you play with a poly, the increasing deadness and tension drop may not be discernable to a recreational player until it's too late!

You game will be dead, your arm will be dead, and your backcourt game destroyed. Your volleys will lack crispness, your overheads lacklustre, and your serve...oh my. ;-)

flash9
04-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Polys go dead real quick. A fresh string job is awesome, but after a few hours, especially if you're a big hitter, cut them out and restring.

Playing with a poly over several months is a bit like boiling a frog. If you start with cold water, the frog doesn't realize it's warming up until it's dead. Similarly, when you play with a poly, the increasing deadness and tension drop may not be discernible to a recreational player until it's too late!

You game will be dead, your arm will be dead, and your backcourt game destroyed. Your volleys will lack crispness, your overheads lacklustre, and your serve...oh my. ;-)

Very good analogy! I think I might start using it with some of my customers who go way too long between re-stringing their poly string jobs! :)

1337Kira
04-16-2008, 06:00 PM
How exactly does a dead poly affect play?
Is there less spin?
Power?
Or is it all just about the touch and feel everyone talks about?
And how exactly does a stringbed feel lively vs dead?

Zhou
04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Polys lose significant amounts of tension in short amounts of time. There is a lot less feel but slightly more power due to loser strings. Most people consider a string bed dead once the feel of the strings are gone. I consider a string bed lively if the strings feel crisp. Pretty much once you hit the sweet spot, you know and it just feels exceptional.

BigGriff
04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Yes 10char.

anachronism
04-16-2008, 11:38 PM
one thing to think about is if polys are so stiff relative to other strings, wouldn't that make the dynamic string tension when in contact with a ball, higher than any other string?

rorschack
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Playing with a poly over several months is a bit like boiling a frog. If you start with cold water, the frog doesn't realize it's warming up until it's dead. Similarly, when you play with a poly, the increasing deadness and tension drop may not be discernable to a recreational player until it's too late!

Hey, you are right on with boiling the frog! I did this once with a frog! :twisted: