PDA

View Full Version : Never underestimate junkballers

Steven87
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Yesterday, I was playing a guy who was probably around the 4.0-4.5 area. He was fairly a normal player in today's standards. Hit with a decent amount of topspin on his forehand and a good controlled backhand. His serves were very consistent and well placed (without it, I woulda taken the first few games easy).Pretty consistent.
So we're playing and he's up 5-1. I realize I'm making too many errors and I add more topspin and go for slightly less. While he was very fast, he seemed to be sweating WAY more than me. I figured he is running out of gas. I actually catch up and lead it 6-5. I can see now that this guy is somewhat getting frustrated by his groaning after missing shots (although he did remain fairly calm). On the changeover, he looked somewhat depressed while taking his drink of water. I figured I had this won if I kept up this consistent play. Now heres the HUGE turning point. he switches racquets with something else. A little bigger headsize and less flashy looking than his APD w/Cortex. I was thinking his string broke or something, but I don't think so. When we started the game at 6-5, he was on serve. What came next was one of the biggest and shocking beatdowns I've ever faced. This guy was absolutely a master junkballer! Although his serve got worse, he was hitting with so much junk. Almost everything was slice and he knew how to mix it up with moonballs too. He seemed really bored when he took the set at 7-6 (3). Now next set, I knew I had to do something. I tried getting him to the net but he was able to put away volleys and short balls.

Final score: 7-6(3) 6-2...the junkballer prevailed

Koaske
04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
A good example on how to use plan B. :P

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I know what you mean, dude. Every now and then I have to play a player like this. He slices almost everything off of both wings and then out of nowhere he can produce nice topspin shots. It can be frustrating not knowing what to expect.

I've found that the net is key when playing guys like this. Slices make poor passing shots.

Steven87
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I know what you mean, dude. Every now and then I have to play a player like this. He slices almost everything off of both wings and then out of nowhere he can produce nice topspin shots. It can be frustrating not knowing what to expect.

I've found that the net is key when playing guys like this. Slices make poor passing shots.

Right, but he had consistent topspin angled passing shots

lawrence
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
i dont think he was a junkballer, rather he was a LOt mentally tougher than you think he was haha

he had a good think to himself on the changeover im guessing and came up with what seemed like a winning strategy ;D

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Right, but he had consistent topspin angled passing shots

It sounds like he just had all the answers, maybe he was just a better player?

Vision84
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Odd that he would switch rackets like that and change his strategy so late in the set after losing 5 straight games. You would think that if he had such versatility he would have used it much sooner.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
All this means is that he might be a little bit better than you :p...or it could mean that hes pretty smart and figured out that your game was weaker compared to his "B" game then compared to his normal "A" game.

All you can do is maybe play him more, cause you will probably learn a lot from him. You also need to improve against 'junkballers', which requires you to have good timing.

ShooterMcMarco
04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I played against a junkballer a couple days ago. My advice is to hit heavy deep topspin shots to the corners, then when he coughs up a short ball attack it. If the guy is fast, work on hitting behind him with pace-less short angles. Stay patient too. I found out that when my footwork got crappy and I got lazy, I started to lose points in bunches.

Oxford
04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I bet that guy read "Winning Ugly" ;)

ox

quicken
04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I hate playing slice&dicers, i want to go out and break their racquets. I cannot focus on my game if I play them. I just can't.

boojay
04-14-2008, 09:49 PM
All this means is that he might be a little bit better than you :p...or it could mean that hes pretty smart and figured out that your game was weaker compared to his "B" game then compared to his normal "A" game.

All you can do is maybe play him more, cause you will probably learn a lot from him. You also need to improve against 'junkballers', which requires you to have good timing.

Took the words right out of my mouth.