PDA

View Full Version : How to hit hard? and something else to ask...

SeekHeart
04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I want to learn how to hit harder on my forehand(SW grip) and backhand(eastern), my friend told me to step in on them but when I do I mishit a lot. help? Also I recently mastered the brushing up motion of the kick serve but I can't get the thing to break right at all. I serve with a continental grip and refrain from backhand grips. Help?

SteveI
04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I want to learn how to hit harder on my forehand(SW grip) and backhand(eastern), my friend told me to step in on them but when I do I mishit a lot. help? Also I recently mastered the brushing up motion of the kick serve but I can't get the thing to break right at all. I serve with a continental grip and refrain from backhand grips. Help?

Hi,

The best way I know to create pace, is to keep a very loose arm and try not to muscle the ball. Creating racket-head speed seems to be all about timing and staying loose in my case. The kick serve is all about racket-head speed and staying loose. To get the ball to kick right, you have to brush not only up but from the side also. Brushing up will get you some great topspin, but not a kicker (american twist).

Regards,
Steve

SeekHeart
04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Should I be brushing northeast diagonally?

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Think of it as brushing from 7-2 on a clock if there was a clock face on the back of the tennis ball. I try to envision myself hitting from the bottom left to the upper right of the ball.

There are many threads on how to do an American Twist serve, the one where the ball curves one way in the air, then bounces the other way on the bounce.

SeekHeart
04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
mind hookin me up with the links? Tad bit bad at searching. Also Is it possible to hit flat on an eastern backhand grip for the backhand side?

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 04:57 PM
All this talking of hands on a clock just gets confusing IMO. For now just focus on a nice low to high motion on your strokes. On your forehand you should be pronating with your forearm, meaning that you follow through as if you were checking your watch to see the time.

For a one-handed backhand remember to not lead the stroke with your elbow. The arm should be kept straight and your wrist should be very stable throughout contact. Remember to use your non-dominant hand to steady the racquet before you begin your swing, sort of like you would use it to guide your shot in basketball.

And above all other things, MOVE YOUR FEET. In my experience, if you don't move your feet you will be embarrassed. Avoid laziness and you will be able to hold your own against most players, even ones that may be more talented than you.

Good luck, hope this helps. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm not that great, as they say on TW, "4.0 at best".

Vision84
04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
There are many ways to improve power on your forehand and backhand. I suggest you post a video of yourself so we can see where your form could improve.

Here are some ways to get a fast forehand.
1. If you are getting a lot of topspin and not enough pace then flatten out your racket path.
2. You can step in or you could do the load and explode of the modern forehand which is loading on your right leg (for rightys) in an open or semi-open stance getting a lot of rotation from your torso and then exploding into the ball transferring the weight onto your opposite leg. This is called angular momentum as opposed to the linear momentum of the stepping in style. For videos on this technique you can search youtube.
3. Make sure you are getting a nice loop without stopping. If you stop before contact you break the acceleration and loose a lot of momentum.

Hope that helps.

SeekHeart
04-15-2008, 02:59 AM
It does, unfortunately no cam at moment so no vids sry.

Rickson
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Use your legs, torso, shoulders, and not just your arm. Use a full followthrough and don't just bunt the ball except on volleys where a followthrough only makes things worse.

Djokovicfan4life
04-15-2008, 07:56 AM
The good news is that you're using a semi-western grip and a one-handed eastern backhand, that's a sign of potential greatness right there!

Backhand grips will probably help you get more spin. No offense, but if the ball isn't breaking at all I wouldn't say that you've "mastered" the brushing up motion. The kick is hard to learn. I'm still pretty clueless as well about it. Still waiting for that "light bulb over my head" moment.

SeekHeart
04-17-2008, 03:43 PM
well I sort of mastered it in the sense that I can generate a lot of margin of error and still get it to dip in and bounce high and sometimes to the left. I just can't get it to break right.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
well I sort of mastered it in the sense that I can generate a lot of margin of error and still get it to dip in and bounce high and sometimes to the left. I just can't get it to break right.

If that's the case then aren't you talking about the twist serve?

Personally I can't stand the term "kick" because everyone here seems to have a different definition of what it actually is.

SeekHeart
04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
xD Guess I don't know my terms well. If by twist you mean go left break right then yes. I just can't get any break.

ogruskie
04-17-2008, 06:55 PM
The good news is that you're using a semi-western grip and a one-handed eastern backhand, that's a sign of potential greatness right there!

Hey...those are the precise grips that I use. With that statement, I feel more self-confident. :)

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey...those are the precise grips that I use. With that statement, I feel more self-confident. :)
Yeah, it must feel good to know that you're playing like, er........ ME! :lol:

bad_call
04-17-2008, 07:30 PM
dont forget about those wide beam, low static weight racquets. they kill the ball...i was recently on the receiving end of bombing serves.

mordecai
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Learn how to turn your shoulders fully on takeback and follow-through. On the takeback for any groundstroke your chin should be on your shoulder while you watch the ball.

Once you can do this you can practice using your wrist like a rubber band to really catch and fling the ball of your strings. Turn your shoulders and point your butt-cap to the ball to flex your wrist, and drag your racquet forwards into the ball.

When you combine these with good balance, eye contact, and athletic posture, your shots become a lot louder, faster, and spin more quickly.

35ft6
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I hit my hardest forehands unexpectedly. When I loosen up and my whole body works in perfect synchronization and I time the ball perfectly and right in the sweet spot. If you ever want to hit hard consistently, just concentrate on refining your technique, practice hitting a clean ball. This probably wasn't very useful. Just saying muscling and "trying to hit hard" is probably the worst way to hit hard.

brownbearfalling
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
What racquet and string do you use? Polyester and 98-100 sq in racquets works wonders.
________
LOVE QUOTES ADVICE (http://www.love-help.org/love-quotes/)

Pusher
04-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Your friend is right. Players that hit hard almost always take the ball a little earlier than others. Moving forward, making contact as your weight shifts forward, that is where power is generated. If you want to learn how to do it-practice.

Not to sound condescending but there are no shortcuts in tennis.

Good luck.

Djokovicfan4life
04-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Your friend is right. Players that hit hard almost always take the ball a little earlier than others. Moving forward, making contact as your weight shifts forward, that is where power is generated. If you want to learn how to do it-practice.

Not to sound condescending but there are no shortcuts in tennis.

Good luck.

User name.......... :shock:

Sorry, just thought that was kind of funny!

SeekHeart
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Well ok, I still haven't been able to get any pop in either yet but my backhand is currently stronger than my forehand. Also does anyone have any advice on how I can learn to hit a twist serve? I can brush up the ball but I can't get it to break right. I always get topspin or topspin slice but all my spin serves lack power/depth.