PDA

View Full Version : New WTA ranking

gj011
04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
How is Jelena below Kuznetsova and Venus below Chakvetadze on today's list?

Did they already erase last year's points for Charleston?

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/singles_numeric.asp

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
How is Jelena below Kuznetsova and Venus below Chakvetadze on today's list?

Did they already erase last year's points for Charleston?

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/singles_numeric.asp

Both Jelena and Venus had quarterfinals points to defend in Amelia Island. Either woman didnt play this year. Charleston points are still on the computer, plus Anna made the 3rd round last week.

gj011
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I can't find previous rankings, but I don't think it adds up.

Jelena was 3rd, Kuznetsova didn't play Amelia Island either, QF in Tier 2 is not more than 75 points, but Kuznetsova is now 135 points ahead of Jelena.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Kuznetsova has no points to defend until next month in Poland, but you're right though. Unlike the ATP rankings, there isn't a breakdown on the WTA side, so I have no idea for the change from 3 to 5. :-?

Maria also picked up 275 points by the way. :-?

gj011
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Here is finally last week's ranking:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080407/sp_afp/tenniswtarankings

Jelena has 325 points less than week ago. I think they already erased Charleston points. No other explanation for such a drop.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-14-2008, 05:57 PM
You're right, I just calculated Venus current rankings minus the Charleston points and it adds up. Being that Jelena is defending champion she lost 430 points from last year.

gj011
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
You're right, I just calculated Venus current rankings minus the Charleston points and it adds up. Being that Jelena is defending champion she lost 430 points from last year.

Thanks. I was confused when I saw today's rankings. It didn't make much sense to me. Why WTA site doesn't have same rankings breakdown as ATP?

daddy
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
G, I think ATP does the same this year. I am not sure but I think I read somewhere a month or so ago, that because of the olympics ATP does take your points off on monday, week before the tourney starts. Does not sound logical but that is what I have read.

lauras-serve
04-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Last year, Charleston was week 15. This year it is week 16. Amelia Island was week 14 last year, 15 this year. Indian Wells and Miami are similarly skewed. You have to go back to week 7 (Antwerp) to find a 1:1 WTA schedule match. This explains the "premature" ranking changes.

Talking about ranking drops, Tatiana Golovin is dropping like a stone. Since the Australian Open she's not defended (or been unable to defend) her 110 Charleston QF points, nor her 275 Amelia Island winner points, nor the 45 Miami R3 points, nor the 115 Indian Wells QF points, nor the 125 Antwerp SF points, nor the 70 Paris QF points. She did earn 1 point for a first round loss at Memphis this year. That's a net change of -739 for a loss of ten ranking positions.