PDA

View Full Version : Best way to return high topsin shots

NmKnight
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Im a good player but i suck at returning high topsin shots that hit baseline. Any suggestions?

swimntennis
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Try to anticipate the shot. If you are standing on/close to the baseline and this shot comes to you, you'll most like have to back up while hitting the ball. This will bring your momentum backward and you'll likely cough up a short ball. If you can anticipate the high shot, backpedal immediately so that when the ball is ready to be hit, you can really step into the shot.

Good luck!

Tennisman912
04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
NmKnight,

You left out whether you have a 1 or 2 handed backhand and your level as that will make a difference in what you need to do. A 2HBH can make things a little easier on the high balls but you really have only two choices. First is step in and take the shot on the rise. This takes good timing and plenty of practice to learn how to make the necessary adjustments as needed on the fly. The second is back up and hit a more defensive shot. If you back up you must get your return deep. This will be difficult unless after retreating you can get some weight transfer forward, again, depending on your level. . Nothing earth shattering I know but unfortunately there are no shortcuts. Good luck.

TM

NmKnight
04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks and yeah i have a two handed backhand.
This kid i play hits high topspin every shot and my on the rise forehand isnt that consistent but thanks for the advice

djokster
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
NmKnight,

You left out whether you have a 1 or 2 handed backhand and your level as that will make a difference in what you need to do. A 2HBH can make things a little easier on the high balls but you really have only two choices. First is step in and take the shot on the rise. This takes good timing and plenty of practice to learn how to make the necessary adjustments as needed on the fly. The second is back up and hit a more defensive shot. If you back up you must get your return deep. This will be difficult unless after retreating you can get some weight transfer forward, again, depending on your level. . Nothing earth shattering I know but unfortunately there are no shortcuts. Good luck.

TM
Do you have any suggestions for the same situation, just with a one-handed backhand?

Tennisman912
04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
djokster,

My advice would be pretty much the same but its a harder shot with the one hander. If you have the game I would step in and take it early as often as possible. Just roll it back deep to their weaker stroke. This is what I will do most of the time. Just don't go for a winner, stay patient and work the point. If you can and it does get up on you, a slight grip change allowing a more comfortable shot on a high ball is also an option but this is playing with fire, depending on your level. A slight change is all I am talking about. I don't know anyone below 5.0 who can make minor grip changes and make the necessary contact point adjustments on the fly. If you have to retreat back, hit it deep above all, even if it lacks pace. Also try to get back behind the ball as quickly as you can if you know you will have to retreat to hit it. This is so you can get some weight transfer forward to help you get more on the return shot. Hitting off the back foot, retreating with a one hander is big trouble for most. Avoid having to do this at all costs if possible. It isn't too bad around the baseline but 10 feet behind is much harder. Luckily I rarely play anyone who consistently loops the ball to my 1 hander. Most are too impatient to grind it out.

Good Luck

TM

Rickson
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Im a good player but i suck at returning high topsin shots that hit baseline. Any suggestions?

Take that sucka on the rise.

Solat
04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
the most simple answer is hit the ball back with spin on the same trajectory, it is the "safest" way to play that ball. It wont be pretty but if you need to stop bleeding points then its smart.

ps. the alternative is to actually try to get to net before they hit the deep ball, if that is their only shot then you get high volleys

Rickson
04-15-2008, 04:50 AM
I sometimes do no man's land volleys when I suspect that the moonball's gonna land in anyway. It takes time away from the opponent and it prevents the ball from taking that high bounce because you obviously don't let it bounce at all.

Djokovicfan4life
04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I would work on taking the ball on the rise if I were you. Take time away from him and rush the net, see how he handles that. Just don't be standing flat-footed watching his pretty strokes, concentrate on your own.