PDA

View Full Version : Kirshbaum Super Smash Spiky, Initial Impressions.

J011yroger
04-14-2008, 05:28 PM
This stuff sucks.

More to follow as I continue the playtest.

J

stormholloway
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
No need to elaborate. Just give us the lowdown.

Chauvalito
04-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I would have to agree, the string lost so much tension in such a short period of time it became unplayable.

I am basing this one trial however, possibly with a few more sets of string and tension changes it may have been a different story.

Richie Rich
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
a few years ago it was a decent poly and had a huge following.

then came the co-poly's which were way better then any first gen poly.

it's still not bad but you can get better string for the same money

stormholloway
04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I can't imagine using any other Kirschbaum string than Competition. I've playtested it along side Pro Line II and while PLII is good it doesn't touch Competition.

Great spin and tension maintenance.

miniRafa386
04-16-2008, 03:26 PM
how does pro line II compare to pro line I?

Babb
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
This stuff sucks.
One of my favorite posts of the year.

samej07
04-16-2008, 05:01 PM
This stuff sucks.J

i'd have to agree with you. i tried it out because TW said it was comperable to Pro Hurricane Tour, but cheaper.

Not even close.

It was so stiff and harsh feeling that i hit with it for about 20-25 minutes and cut it out. made my APDC (which is a very forgiving racket) feel like a 2x4.

not a good string at all.:(

Wondertoy
04-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Touch Turbo is a good Kirschbaum string.

dirtballer
04-17-2008, 06:00 AM
How does Touch Turbo compare to Competition?

nickb
04-17-2008, 07:07 AM
This stuff sucks.

J

I didnt think you would like it :)

I hated it too...

Nick

bronco_mba
04-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Have to agree with J on this one. One hit and I was itching to cut this stuff out of my frame. Absolutely no tension maintenance. I have a half set left and no intention of giving it another go.

Big-Serve
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM

very different strings!

stormholloway
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I haven't played Touch Turbo or Spiky, but I've played PLII and Comp. plenty. Pro Line II is nice and comfortable but it's somewhat slick and elastic. It doesn't provide the crisp response of Competition, which provides far better spin. Competition also holds tension better than any poly I've tried.

I can't rave about it enough, which is why I keep doing so.

JRstriker12
04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Jolly - I played this stuff in a hybrid. It was okay - nothing earth shaking. The Super Smash Spikey isn't even really "spikey." Just has these little grooves.

goober
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
This stuff sucks.

J

IMO this string needs a break in period. I say at least 2 hours. Intially it is very stiff and I hated it when I first tried it. I tried it again after the initial 2 hour hit and it played quite well- softer and with good spin. It loses tension intially and the settles into a tension for a long time after that.

J011yroger
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
It didn't feel stiff to me at all, gooey if anything compared to the lux.

The ball just left my racquet at way too high of a trajectory.

I was like "What the heck is this?!?!" and just put it away.

I will try to hit with it some more if I play against some lower level peeps.

J

Wondertoy
04-17-2008, 05:29 PM

More feel, more comfortable. I find competition a dull string.

Richie Rich
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
More feel, more comfortable. I find competition a dull string.

funny, i found playing with touch turbo like paying with rubber bands in my frame

Court_Jester
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
You all have to realize that SS Spikey is an older generation string so its tension-maintenance characteristics are nowhere near that of today's co-polys. It was pretty good in its day but there are better choices now.

I can't imagine using any other Kirschbaum string than Competition. I've playtested it along side Pro Line II and while PLII is good it doesn't touch Competition.

Great spin and tension maintenance.
Totally agree with you on this one. Pro Line II has a stiffer and more plastic-ky feel to it. Competition is much more comfortable and more crisp.

how does pro line II compare to pro line I?
Pro Line II is softer than Pro Line I. Think of the latter as the red replacement version of the Super Smash.

Touch Turbo is noticeably crisper and has more pop than Competition but its tension-maintenance blows. IIRC, mine only lasted a couple of days of medium hitting (a couple of hours per day). Competition is a better overall performer.

The P2 came out later, supposedly better than its predecessor, but Competition still edges it out IMO.

miniRafa386
05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
is spiky really that bad? i wanted to hybrid it with touch multifibre, but from the way the people on this thread reacted to it, better save my money...

i only wanted to try it for a few reasons:
1) i liked gamma ruff, but it just became too hard to string
2) good deal with kirschbaum
3) looking for the "perfect" hybrid with touch multifibre.

J011yroger
05-03-2008, 02:26 AM
I dunno dude, it is certainly cheap enough for you to take a flier on it.

But I hit the ball a couple of times and was like "ewww... What the heck is this crap."

I would rather hit with Gosen Syn gut (for the first 15 minutes anyway, then it becomes unplayable)

J

Richie Rich
05-03-2008, 03:14 AM
is spiky really that bad? i wanted to hybrid it with touch multifibre, but from the way the people on this thread reacted to it, better save my money...

i only wanted to try it for a few reasons:
1) i liked gamma ruff, but it just became too hard to string
2) good deal with kirschbaum
3) looking for the "perfect" hybrid with touch multifibre.

if you are really hellbent on using it then buy a set and give it a try. if you like it then cool.

miniRafa386
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
ok, i got my hands on a set of this stuff.

havent tried a full set, BUT, hybrided with kirsch touch multifibre, control on my shots were 11/10, yes, 11/10. i was able to pinpoint my shots like no other. it forced me to swing my hardest and not tinkerbell my strokes, like how some strings allow you to. this gave me more depth, spin, and power on all shots.

overall, i think its a very good string. cant say much about ten. maintenence and durability, for its only been 1 hit. ill be sure to review again tomorrow after my high school match.

Richie Rich
05-04-2008, 04:36 PM
ok, i got my hands on a set of this stuff.

havent tried a full set, BUT, hybrided with kirsch touch multifibre, control on my shots were 11/10, yes, 11/10. i was able to pinpoint my shots like no other. it forced me to swing my hardest and not tinkerbell my strokes, like how some strings allow you to. this gave me more depth, spin, and power on all shots.

overall, i think its a very good string. cant say much about ten. maintenence and durability, for its only been 1 hit. ill be sure to review again tomorrow after my high school match.

wait until the 2nd hour when the tension falls off a cliff and it feels like hitting with a 2x4.

spiky is nice at the start but it just can't keep tension.

i'm tired of cutting out poly after 20 hours (actually many hours less depending on the poly). i think i might go back to gut/syn gut hybrid which lasts much longer.