PDA

View Full Version : re-stringing your crosses question

jgn1013
04-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Sunday night I restrung my racquet, poly's - main & synthetic -crosses. Well for some reason about the 4th or 5th row down one of the crosses had a tendency to slide up. I hit with it last night and every shot that one cross string would slide up. So I went home, put the racquet in the string, cut out the crosses only, and restrung. Is this a problem?

Any idea what would cause that 1 cross to slide, I'm thinking maybe I didn't pull that one correctly since it did not seem to have the same tension as the others.

tks

YULitle
04-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Sounds like a misweave. Did you check to be sure it wasn't woven improperly? If you have two adjacent crosses woven the same way they will gravitate towards each other.

Pro Staff Pete
04-15-2008, 06:20 AM
^^^ Think so too. Happened to me quite often when I just started stringing.

slice bh compliment
04-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Yeah, telltale sign of a misweave.

Now as for just replacing the crosses? Hmmm. Maybe if the mains were really fresh, un-notched, and you cut the crosses out while on the machine...and the machine has the perfect mouthing system.

Honestly, I wouldn't do that, even with the best mounting system. Too much of a chance of distorting the headshape.
I'd rather just spend the extra ten minutes and a couple of bucks redo-ing the whole stringjob.

jgn1013
04-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Sounds like a misweave. Did you check to be sure it wasn't woven improperly? If you have two adjacent crosses woven the same way they will gravitate towards each other.

I check, had the guy I hit with check. It seemed like there was not enough tension on that 1 cross. weird??

Now as for just replacing the crosses? Hmmm. Maybe if the mains were really fresh, un-notched, and you cut the crosses out while on the machine...and the machine has the perfect mouthing system.

I have an X6, 6 point mounting system. Placed the racquet back in the stringer then cut out the crosses. It was late and I wanted the racquet for my upcoming match.

YULitle
04-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Do you weave one ahead? You may have pulled tension on the one ahead forgetting to tension the one before.

Loco4Tennis
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Do you weave one ahead? You may have pulled tension on the one ahead forgetting to tension the one before.

yeah thats what i was thinking, if there was no missweave
also possible that string was not strighten out when tensioning, that would leave a little extra to move arround from the rest

jgn1013
04-15-2008, 07:01 AM

No I don't weave ahead.. anyway maybe i should have not smoke the crack pipe before my string job. The important question is what do you thing about me redoing just the crosses, is this something I should worry about?

YULitle
04-15-2008, 07:09 AM
No I don't weave ahead.. anyway maybe i should have not smoke the crack pipe before my string job. The important question is what do you thing about me redoing just the crosses, is this something I should worry about?

I don't care what you do, but here's a thread on the issue.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74551

It isn't good for the racquet.

iplaybetter
04-15-2008, 07:18 AM

stringing on crack might not work so well

jgn1013
04-15-2008, 07:21 AM
I don't care what you do, but here's a thread on the issue.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74551

It isn't good for the racquet.

thanks.. sorry should have done a search. So do you think i've done damage to my racquet? hope not, I'm going to cut them out tonight when I get home.