PDA

View Full Version : RH backhand return in deuce court

babar
04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I am having a lot of trouble hitting my BH doubles returns back to the server in doubles on the deuce side. I keep putting the ball too close to the center of the court or the net man to hit away. I hit a 2-handed return or slice, but with similar results. I used to be able to hit that just fine, but seem to have lost it along the way.

I tried changing my return position to open up my stance more, but no luck. Laying my wrist back on the 2-hander seems to make me hit it really late.

Any suggestions? I'm a 4.0 player.

rod_b
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a friend (3.5) that hits this interesting backhand punch shot from the baseline. It's almost like a volley from the baseline but his return is very effective...low and usually very flat with decent pace. He can aim it pretty well too. Just try to pop it like a volley with an abbreviated follow-thru. Just a suggestion.

burosky
04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Have you tried aligning your front shoulder towards your target? Since you are a right hander this means your right shoulder. You can have a semi or open stance. If you align your front shoulder towards your target, it prevents you from pulling your stroke thus avoiding the net person. This might also help you aim your shot better.

sulcer
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
It is going to be hard for you to hit a ball back to the server if you have an open stance, very hard. Burosky is right, point your right shoulder and right hip at the your target.

I am not really too sure about how 4.0 doubles are but I would not recommend ever hitting a slice return in doubles. Most good doubles players are going to immediately start poaching the second they see your racket face open up to hit the slice.

CAM178
04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Sounds like your timing is a bit off, that's all. It's something that only practice will fix. I would start off at a slower-paced return, then work up to medium, until you can start to hit that deuce BH return with some authority. Good luck.