PDA

View Full Version : Serena will take on anyone...except these guys

Ash Doyle
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
From http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/apr/15/serena_has_no_problem_whom_she_plays37300/ :

Serena Williams: "I'll play anybody with the exception of (Rafael) Nadal, (Roger) Federer and (Fabrice) Santoro. Other than that, I'm open for anybody."

I thought it was interesting that other than her respect for the no. 1 and no. 2 mens players she also singled out Santoro. Just goes to show the respect he has among the players as a player that will make you work.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, and not be blown away just by sheer hitting power. Although that has happened before to Santoro, its usually a really good player who also has other skills that just hard hitting. And if its a big match, he certainly seems to hang around long just by force of will.

Ronaldo
04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
From http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/apr/15/serena_has_no_problem_whom_she_plays37300/ :

Serena Williams: "I'll play anybody with the exception of (Rafael) Nadal, (Roger) Federer and (Fabrice) Santoro. Other than that, I'm open for anybody."

I thought it was interesting that other than her respect for the no. 1 and no. 2 mens players she also singled out Santoro. Just goes to show the respect he has among the players as a player that will make you work.

This is like tongue-in-cheek? Which may present a disturbing pic to say the least, eh?

daddy
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
He he, expect Djokovic to mask himself and go thru qualies to reach the main draw .. ;)

Vision84
04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Haha Santoro in that list. Shows how one-dimensional she is with just her baseline power game.

Mick
04-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Serena is one of the best WTA players but I don't think she could compete with the guys on the senior tour, let alone the ATP players.

Ronaldo
04-15-2008, 12:42 PM
He he, expect Djokovic to mask himself and go thru qualies to reach the main draw .. ;)

Better yet, Safin http://ellegedly.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/safin2_1_1.jpg

Ash Doyle
04-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Serena is one of the best WTA players but I don't think she could compete with the guys on the senior tour, let alone the ATP players.

I don't either, and I almost didn't post this thread because I didn't want to start another pointless women vs. men argument. I just like to see Santoro get some respect.

Ronaldo
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't either, and I almost didn't post this thread because I didn't want to start another pointless women vs. men argument. I just like to see Santoro get some respect.

Ash, the guys don't want to face Santoro.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Haha Santoro in that list. Shows how one-dimensional she is with just her baseline power game.

Even ATP men dread playing the guy, I don't blame her. The guy has a one of a kind game that demands respect, like it or not.

MAX PLY
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Do you think Gasquet would dodge her?

superman1
04-15-2008, 01:16 PM
She's probably kidding. She has admitted in interviews that she can't beat one of the guys she plays practice matches with, and I doubt he's anyone of note.

If she's not kidding, then she's an idiot. The broad can barely keep the ball in the court. And that's the least of her problems playing against a guy who can run about twice as fast as her for 20 times as long.

jelle v
04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't blame Serena.. Santoro has speed, brings back balls.. has mega slice-effects (trua ball magician), will make angles with the balls, has great slice-approaches etc. etc. Serena would lose 6-0 6-0..

flyer
04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
When Venus and Serena were winning all those slams they said they could beat someone around 200 on the mens tour, they got someone around there and they each played a set and lose 61 and 62

skierpaul
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Serena vs. McEnroe would be good... although John would still take it!

drakulie
04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
She can't consistently beat the top women. What the heck makes her think she could compete with the top 1000 ATP men.

skierpaul
04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Do you think Gasquet would dodge her?

LOL! You know how much of a head case he'd become if he played her and lost!!!!

daddy
04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
She's probably kidding. She has admitted in interviews that she can't beat one of the guys she plays practice matches with, and I doubt he's anyone of note.

If she's not kidding, then she's an idiot. The broad can barely keep the ball in the court. And that's the least of her problems playing against a guy who can run about twice as fast as her for 20 times as long.

Definitly. This was ment to hurt her FEMALE oponents as if she fears of Fed and Santoro and Rafa but not of Justine and Maria. That was the point of what she said for sure, not the men. I just thought its good material for a joke ..

Men vs Women - if anyone wants to make himself look stupid ( once again ) and ask this question, go ahead. The reply is more or less, women would celebrate after taking one game from any top ranked man, though that would not happen.

drakulie
04-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Dementiava was staying last week at the club I live at. She was working out with Harold Solomon for the upcoming clay court season.

Anyway, Solomon had her returning seves against one of the top juniors there. She was **REALLY** struggling to return his serves. Hardly got any first serves back in play.

1970CRBase
04-15-2008, 07:05 PM

That is NOT respect from Serena Williams. That's just Serena Williams putting herself next to Federer and Nadal in the same sentence or saying in another way that she is right up there with the guys, BUT that she has "respect" for those guys! Sort of like saying "Stephen Hawking and I both agree that......."

As for Santoro, he could probably beat Serena Williams 6-0 6-0 if he only played single handed back slice as his one allowed shot including serve.

1970CRBase
04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Or if we r talking tennis, it's sort of like saying "Federer and I, er sorry, Roger and I both agree that a forehand should be hit this way......"

Ronaldo
04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Serena, Queen of Trolling, eh? Gets a rise with just one statement.

daddy
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Or if we r talking tennis, it's sort of like saying "Federer and I, er sorry, Roger and I both agree that a forehand should be hit this way......"

He he, good one.

obnoxious2
04-15-2008, 07:55 PM

She's also the biggest baby on the tour. Her whiny attitude is what bothers me.

daddy
04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
She's also the biggest baby on the tour. Her whiny attitude is what bothers me.

Well at least her bottom is a no contest, no such in whole WTA past or present. Biggest truly.

ruski07
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM

agreed, if b surprised if she could beat any male player in the top 500 or even higher

Cridal
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I would pay good money to see her play Mac. Granted John is closing on 50, this could be an entertaining match. Madison Square Garden seems like a perfect place, too. Let's get it on!

Still, would take Mac in straight sets...

tzinc
04-16-2008, 01:28 AM
People can't stand the Williams Sisters because of their friggin BS egos and BS talk not because they are black. Why doesn't James Blake get trashed like they do.

MJ the ANGEL
04-16-2008, 06:12 AM
People can't stand the Williams Sisters because of their friggin BS egos and BS talk not because they are black. Why doesn't James Blake get trashed like they do.

oohhhhhhh good question ! James Blake has never won a GRAN SLAM , he is not the great champion serena Willimas is , as far as james Blake is in the dark you will love him to death .

MJ the ANGEL
04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Anyway serena d Dulko 6/3 6/4
good job my girl .

gdsballer
04-16-2008, 07:14 AM
she talks so much trash

daddy
04-16-2008, 07:17 AM
I am talking about serena Willimas guy not about me .

You don't care about me ....?? lol .

Go serena .

Well I was also talking about Serena .. and about you. I said I dont care about the colour of your skin. I dont care about her being black also. It has nothing to do with who she is, and lets be clear about that - she is no angel.

origmarm
04-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Ok I'm going to humour this and respond frankly to this post.

People don't like Serena because she is Serena, not because of her colour. Typically this is because of her attitude or her style of game. In the same way that some people had a problem with Seles for example or Navratilova. The sportmanship (for example never crediting your opponents, strategic bathroom and injury breaks, excessive grunting) is probably the main issue. Both of the William's sisters are products of their environment. I think however that Venus has a long way to go before generating the same reaction Serena does.

Some of the most respected players in tennis have been black and I think you would find it hard to find many who would say a bad word about them.

In terms of great champions Arthur Ashe won 3 grand slams (4 finals appearances) and is perhaps one of the most respected tennis players of all time. They named the stadium after him for god's sake.

To name some black players that I personally greatly admire, James Blake and Yannick Noah spring to mind immediately. I have seen few tennis players play with such raw talent and love for the game as Noah (on a related note). I hit with him once briefly as a child in Bordeaux, really nice guy. The committment of James Blake given the obstacles he has overcome detailed in his book is nothing short of miraculous.

I think you need to realise that by and large people on this board are not racists. Not all dislike for any black person is racism. Everyone including great champions and in fact especially people at the top of any game generate strong reactions on part of fans both good and bad. Find me one person that dislikes Nadal and I'll find you one that dislikes Federer, they all have their club.

It appears to me that people who assume that negative comments directed at players if they are of an ethnic minority are racist they should maybe take a step back and look at the individual in question. The failure of the USTA and other tennis organisations around the world to promote the game more effectively accross a diverse range of backgrounds does not excuse the behaviour of anyone. Just because you are in a minority, does not mean you can abdicate your reponsibility as a top player in terms of being an ambassador for the game and a good example to sportspersons of all kinds.

J'ai le sentiment dans ce cas que c'est l'arbre qui cache la forÍt.

Kaptain Karl
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
<Mod Mode> Thread cleaned-up.

Remember, name-calling is not allowed on TT. (Calling people "racists" is name-calling.) </Mod Mode>

- KK

Harry_Wild
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
When Venus and Serena were winning all those slams they said they could beat someone around 200 on the mens tour, they got someone around there and they each played a set and lose 61 and 62

I remember that it was a chain smoking German! Forgot his name but he just hit the ball so hard that either of them could hit it back! Sound strange but that what happen. I think I remember that each set took like 10-15 minutes.

Jonny S&V
04-16-2008, 11:58 PM
I remember that it was a chain smoking German! Forgot his name but he just hit the ball so hard that either of them could hit it back! Sound strange but that what happen. I think I remember that each set took like 10-15 minutes.

Kaarsten Braasch, weirdest serve in the history of the ATP IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WKagbwQxW4

origmarm
04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Kaarsten Braasch, weirdest serve in the history of the ATP IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WKagbwQxW4

Indeed. I made reference to it in an earlier "cleaned up" post (incidentally thanks KK that guy was just something else), the greatest thing about this is that he actually had 2 beers and smoked on the changeovers! :)

Great youtube find btw