PDA

View Full Version : Stringing tension with X-One or NRG2 for hybrids

tlimster
04-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I want to try some softer strings on a hybrid string job, and bought some NRG2 and X-1 for a playtest. Read in feedback that you need to string this at higher tension, and can't find how many pounds difference is sufficient.

So if I usually string my Speedport Tour at 60lbs with Pro Supex Big Ace and crosses with Prince Synthetic at 60lbs, what would I string the Technifibre if I wanted to get similar power levels, 62lbs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tennisinoc
04-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I found it best to just string it up the same lbs. you usually string it up.
Both of them hold tension fairly longer than Prince Syn.

I had your set up before with Pro Supex Big Ace and crosses with Prince Synthetic. And after using Technifiber, I haven't gone back since.
Love these strings. Closest to gut without the big price tag.

In my opinion, do a full string job instead of Hybrid first to get the full experience with the Multis. Then if too lively for you, hybrid it up.

tlimster
04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I don't want to string it up with a full job, because I don't want to use up an entire set. :) I have hit with X-One before (my friend's Prestige Pro) and it is a little springy. I don't think I can ever go back to a full multi set up now that i've used poly, but I can't use a full poly set up because of my arm.

Just so I know what to expect, if I string with the same tension, will I get more spring with the X-One/NRG2 than synthetic?

tennisinoc
04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Just so I know what to expect, if I string with the same tension, will I get more spring with the X-One/NRG2 than synthetic?

I wouldn't call it more spring exactly. I'd call it more lively.
You get more ball pocketing and control vs. syn.

I also think that X-1 is more firm and crisp than NRG2. Takes a bit of break in time.
While NRG2 feels softer and has better feel with no break in time.

It really depends on what you like. My guess is, you coming from Poly, you might like X-1 better.

Bubba
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I found it best to just string it up the same lbs. you usually string it up.
Both of them hold tension fairly longer than Prince Syn.

I had your set up before with Pro Supex Big Ace and crosses with Prince Synthetic. And after using Technifiber, I haven't gone back since.
Love these strings. Closest to gut without the big price tag.

In my opinion, do a full string job instead of Hybrid first to get the full experience with the Multis. Then if too lively for you, hybrid it up.

I agree - I've used X-1 in my hybrid for quite a while. Start w/ your regular tension and go from there. It's important to realize that X-1 holds its tension very well while NRG [or NRG2] does not. I love my setup (see sig.)

Bubba
04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I don't want to string it up with a full job, because I don't want to use up an entire set. :) I have hit with X-One before (my friend's Prestige Pro) and it is a little springy. I don't think I can ever go back to a full multi set up now that i've used poly, but I can't use a full poly set up because of my arm.

With X-1 in the crosses it should feel very nice. I wouldn't say 'more spring' as that is a function of tension. I would say you get a nice crisp feel and feedback from the strings is great. Give it a try, you aren't risking very much of anything.

tlimster
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out and post results.

Babb
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I understand that everyone's different, but I wouldn't recommend X1 Biphase crosses with polyester mains to anyone. If you hit with much spin, the super soft X1 gets shredded to bits quite quickly (and I even put in string savers!).

Your primary playing characteristics come from the mains anyway, so I went to PSGD crosses. No durability issues and no money issues.

downdaline
04-17-2008, 04:44 AM
I'll second Babb's experience. I had the same shredding problem with X1 biphase. Luckily i was using SPPP (which is softer than most polys) in the mains, so it still lasted almost a month before breaking. And this was with stringsavers too.

Btw, i regret ever trying the SPPP mains and X1 crosses. Eventhough i had trouble controlling my shots (bcos of the loads of power), i served almost 5 aces per set when i played with it. Miss that experience. (btw i strung the mains at 50lbs and the x1 crosses at 52lbs)

Hope u enjoy urs!

tlimster
04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, that's why I was considering stringing the X-1 higher than the PSGD, in order to control the power. I think I may increase by a couple of lbs when I string over the weekend (Pro Supex Big Ace mains).

I had the same shredding problem when I tried Lux ALU w/NXT (and I would expect that pros experience the same thing with gut). Lasted about a week, maybe a little less. That's why I only bought one set each of the Tecnifibre. My other test is going to be how well Gosen OG Sheep Micro works, so compare a 14.50 string with a 4 string and see if there's a serious difference.