PDA

View Full Version : Could Nadal pull off another Monte Carlo/Barcelona/Rome/Roland Garros this year?

deme08
04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
..making it four consecutive titles of each four tournaments in four consecutive attempts! Would it be the greatest record of all time?

gdsballer
04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
i dont think his body is gonna hold up but i love him, i hope he can...another win over fed at RG would be sweet

Feña14
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I think it's highly unlikely, if they were spread out he'd have a good chance but the way they have been scheduled is going to make it really hard.

When you also consider Davydenko is playing some of the best tennis of his career, Djokovic will be a threat to him and Ferrer will be up for it this clay season... it'll be tough for him.

simi
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Would it be the greatest record of all time?

I'm going to assume that you are not being totally serious with this statement/question.

flyer
04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
i think he should skip barcelona, i know it would be hard because its in spain but i think the fans would understand if he said he didnt want to wear himself out before the FO

Moose Malloy
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
No one remembers who wins Barcelona, Rome, Monte Carlo. Winning RG is all that should matter to him.

i think he should skip barcelona, i know it would be hard because its in spain but i think the fans would understand if he said he didnt want to wear himself out before the FO

yeah, considering his stature in the game, would they really criticize him for not playing there? Fed doesn't have any problems with the Swiss media for not playing Davis Cup or Gstaad, because they know he can do much bigger things. Hopefully Nadal's fans in Spain realize Barcelona isn't that important in the big picture.

edmondsm
04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
He skipped Valencia, so he shouldn't have a problem skipping Barca. I think he could definitely pull it off again this year. He didn't have any real challenges doing it last year short of a tough match with Davydenko. He hasn't gotten any worse. The main factor will be how Davydenko, Djokovic, and Federer play. If those three are at top form it will be a long clay season for Nadal.

joeri888
04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I think not. But he'll at least win 2 big tourneys. He's a huge favourite of course and will have a good clay season.

CyBorg
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Djokovic looks like the only guy who could beat him; unless Nadal plays hurt of course.

Davydenko - oh, please.

Nadal_Freak
04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Nadal could win all 3 MS but I think he will skip Barcelona.

Magix
04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
He should skip either Barcelona or Hamburg. So much tennis, not enough time to rest!

PascalMariaFan
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I think it's highly unlikely, if they were spread out he'd have a good chance but the way they have been scheduled is going to make it really hard.

When you also consider Davydenko is playing some of the best tennis of his career, Djokovic will be a threat to him and Ferrer will be up for it this clay season... it'll be tough for him.Why the hell do people keep mentioning Ferrer but not Nalbandian.
He's a two time RG semi-finalist, and ten times the player Ferrer is.

drakulie
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
We will know after the French Open. :)

anointedone
04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Djokovic looks like the only guy who could beat him; unless Nadal plays hurt of course.

Davydenko - oh, please.

Djokovic!??! We are talking clay here, you have to be freaking kidding me. You say Davydenko oh please, Davydenko would beat Nadal on clay before Djokovic ever did.

I predict Nadal to skip Hamburg and Barcelona both probably. I do think he is more likely to skip Hamburg then Barcelona though so yes he could pull off that triple again.

Cup8489
04-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Djokovic!??! We are talking clay here, you have to be freaking kidding me. You say Davydenko oh please, Davydenko would beat Nadal on clay before Djokovic ever did.

I predict Nadal to skip Hamburg and Barcelona both probably. I do think he is more likely to skip Hamburg then Barcelona though so yes he could pull off that triple again.

djoker did reach the RG semis last year..

i still agree that he's not much of a claycourter, but we would do well to not underestimate him.

anointedone
04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
djoker did reach the RG semis last year..

i still agree that he's not much of a claycourter, but we would do well to not underestimate him.

He reached the semis not playing a single player in the top 50. His draw was a joke. Hell will freeze over before Djokovic beats Nadal on clay anytime this year anyway. Davydenko, Nalbandian, Federer even with his current crap form, Ferrer, all have a better chance to beat Nadal on clay then Djokovic. I didnt say a good chance, I said more then Djokovic.

PascalMariaFan
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Davydenko, Nalbandian, Federer even with his current crap form, Ferrer, all have a better chance to beat Nadal on clay then Djokovic.Holy **** you're stupid.

pow
04-16-2008, 05:45 PM

I agree, Davydenko pushed Nadal harder on clay than Djokovic ever has. Now Davydenko is on a streak after his racquet tweak, who knows? I like his odds over Djokovic, Djokovic is better than Nadal on hard courts no doubt but clay is Nadal's home.

crawl4
04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
i think nadal will pull out of 1 of them but im not sure which one and as for people saying who his competition is i say nalbandian is most likely, then fed or davy then djoker.

rafan
04-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I would hope the young go getter Nadal of yesterday has now learned to pace himself and chose which tournaments he wants to excel in and not go all out and exhuast himself by the time he reaches Wimbldon

joeri888
04-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Federer if he finds form is the biggest threat to Rafa. Than Davydenko, than Nalbandian, than Djokovic and after that Ferrer I think.

Feña14
04-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Why the hell do people keep mentioning Ferrer but not Nalbandian.

Yep Nalbandian could cause problems but he's just way too inconsistent.
One week he plays fantastic and then for the next 6 months he goes off and does absolutely nothing.

Everyone was thinking he would do well at the Australian Open after his great end to last year but I watched his match with Ferrero and he got absolutely destroyed, a serious beating and he looked nothing like the player who was producing the tennis that won him Masters Series events just a month or two before.

If he decides he wants to play then he'll be a threat to Nadal but the matches i've seen Davydenko and Ferrer play against Nadal over the last few years lead me to believe, that with their ability to turn up more often than not, will be the more likely to register a win against Nadal and prevent him from taking all the titles the OP said.

flyer
04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Nalby is really the lease of my worries, he is extremely dangerous indoors were the elements cant neutralize his beautiful ball striking and he serves better indoors too, also hes back to his old weight so I think Nadal needs to be more worried about Djokovic and perhaps Davy depending on how hes playing, he does tend to be inconsistent, most of all though Nadal's enemy and biggest worry is def the calendar, I cant see anyway he plays Barcelona and Hamburg, he was tired last year and this year there is a week less of rest, he shouldnt play Barca but I think he will and then skip Hamburg citing fatigue

PascalMariaFan
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Yep Nalbandian could cause problems but he's just way too inconsistent.
One week he plays fantastic and then for the next 6 months he goes off and does absolutely nothing.Nonsense. He's had one stretch of poor form in his entire career.
Apart from that, countless deep runs in major tournaments, and wins over top players.

Everyone was thinking he would do well at the Australian Open after his great end to last year but I watched his match with Ferrero and he got absolutely destroyed, a serious beating and he looked nothing like the player who was producing the tennis that won him Masters Series events just a month or two before.He injured his back at Kooyong, and had no practice leading in to the AO. Add the fact that he gains weight when he's immobile, and you have yourself a player who gets pummeled by someone like Ferrero. Who he shouldn't have any business losing games to, let alone matches.

If he decides he wants to play then he'll be a threat to Nadal but the matches i've seen Davydenko and Ferrer play against Nadal over the last few years lead me to believe, that with their ability to turn up more often than not, will be the more likely to register a win against Nadal and prevent him from taking all the titles the OP said.You have a point with Davydenko, he infact has the game to do damage, and can be almost invincible from the baseline when he's playing well.

Ferrer is back to his old pathetic self this year. And even at the peak of his form, late last year, Nalbandian was still the better player.

To say that Ferrer, who's only weapon is consistency; is a favorite for any major title is ridiculous.

Also, if you have in fact taken into account their respective matches against Nadal. You would know that it's Nalbandian who matches up best against Nadal.

Nadal_Freak
04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Players with 2 handers have a better chance against Nadal. Nalbandian, Davydenko, and Djokovic are a bigger threat to Nadal as their backhands don't break down like Federer's. At least they don't have trouble creating pace off high balls unlike Federer. Federer will also need to change to a larger frame.

flyer
04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Players with 2 handers have a better chance against Nadal. Nalbandian, Davydenko, and Djokovic are a bigger threat to Nadal as their backhands don't break down like Federer's. At least they don't have trouble creating pace off high balls unlike Federer. Federer will also need to change to a larger frame.

I think a 93 in frame would do Federer well on clay but thats a huge change for him and anyone at that level and its just not going to happen, its a risk I think he just wont take

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
04-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Nadal will just repeat last year clay season keeping montecarlo, barca, roma and FO cups and hand hamburg cup to Federer ;)

9000tennis
04-17-2008, 02:18 AM
I think he can do it. If he can plan his days right and manage to keep the matches less than 2 hours, then I think he can stay fit. It's a bit different now with finals only being best of 3 sets, so that gives him a bit of an advantage, but also it is not clear yet who can challenge him on clay. Federer seems a bit off, Ferrer hasn't done much good lately, you never really know with Davydenko and I'm not that sure about Djokovic. It seems to be a bit more open this year with only Nadal being the favorite to do good in all tournaments.
So if him and Tony can plan his training right and dominate the early round matches, then I don't see any reason why Nadal couldn't win those tournaments.
I too find it irritating that the clay court season has changed this year. The european clay court season is the highlight of the year for me.

Buuurnz
04-17-2008, 02:35 AM
is he skipts a tourne he will skip barcelona ! hamburg is still a masters and he got a lot of points to defend there!

hectornorton
04-17-2008, 02:45 AM
it´s just crazy...matches in clay are normally longer than the ones in hc.. if you add the fact that nadal plays many more clay matches in a year than any of his rivals and the fact that all of the clay MS come together with no breaks...... its really tough I don't think he should play so many tournaments even if he loses points at least he fill conserve his health....

anointedone
04-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Why the hell do people keep mentioning Ferrer but not Nalbandian.

You are the stupid one if you think Nalbandian is currently "ten times the player Ferrer is". Ferrer is currently ranked higher, Ferrer leads their career head to head 6-3 and that counts years Nalbandian was a better player then he is today (despite his hot indoor run last fall he still is likely past his prime as a player) and when Ferrer was not as strong as he is today. Ferrer beat Nalbandian at the U.S Open, and Nalbandian barely beat Ferrer last fall indoors which is Nalbandian's best surface by far. If Ferrer can come that close indoors during Nalbandian's hot streak his chances anywhere else would be very good right now.

As for your other comment, it is obvious reading your other posts you are some blind idiot Djokovic fanboy so I wont even bother. Good luck to Djokovic even making the French Open semis again if he actually draws some good clay courters who are better then the mere world #51 this year.

CyBorg
04-17-2008, 07:02 AM

What is this based on?

What you know about Djokovic on clay is by virtue of last year when he was still quite green. Despite all that he still won a clay court title and made it all the way to the RG semis.

He is a much more powerful player, bigger, stronger than Davydenko with deep, penetrating groundstrokes. and most importantly with a lot of room to grow; meaning massive upside. He's better than Davydenko on any surface and, on a given day, is capable of defeating Nadal.

Davydenko won't beat Nadal on clay, unless Rafa plays with a shattered knee.

Benhur
04-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Nadal will just repeat last year clay season keeping montecarlo, barca, roma and FO cups and hand hamburg cup to Federer ;)

I keep seeing the word Barça applied to the city of Barcelona. This is only the familiar name used for the football club. Nobody in Barcelona (or anywhere in Spain) calls the city Barça.
Some people abbreviate it as Barna in writing, but seldom in speaking.

tacou
04-17-2008, 07:54 AM
all 4 would be quite impressive.

Aeropro master
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
is he skipts a tourne he will skip barcelona ! hamburg is still a masters and he got a lot of points to defend there!

he also wants revenge from fed beating him in hamburg last year

flyer
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
all 4 would be quite impressive.

impressive and unrealistic, not impossible but highly improbable

daddy
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
He reached the semis not playing a single player in the top 50. His draw was a joke. Hell will freeze over before Djokovic beats Nadal on clay anytime this year anyway. Davydenko, Nalbandian, Federer even with his current crap form, Ferrer, all have a better chance to beat Nadal on clay then Djokovic. I didnt say a good chance, I said more then Djokovic.

I agree that taking out Nadal on clay is a long shot but it depends on his schedule and I for one do not believe he will skip ANY of the four pre RG tourneys. He will attend them all, he is Rafa Nadal.

But I dont agree on Djokovic as you may expect. Djokovic is more likely to lose on clay than anywhere else - true. But that he has not been a great clay performer is not true. Apart from quarters at 18 and semis at 19 years old in RG he recorded many wins on clay. He also improved much since this time last year. As for the top 50 players he did not meet, well, those simply did not go thru. He met Andreev in quarters and Verdasco prior and dispatched them. He does not choose who will progress. As a third seed, he is more likely not to meet any high seeds now than last year so he should go deep this year also.

daddy
04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Good luck to Djokovic even making the French Open semis again if he actually draws some good clay courters who are better then the mere world #51 this year.

And now I will go thru this one. I will choose players from top 50 which are decent or good on clay and you let me know who would be a problem for Djokovic.

Positions 50-41 Volandri, Seppi .. anything ? Straights for Dj.
Positions 40-31 Acasuso, Starace, Verdasco .. ??? Straights.
Positions 30-21 Wawrinka, Almagro, Andreev, Canas, Murray .. You'd expect Dj to go thru any of these, maybe droping a set here or there. He does own the best of these guys - Murray, thru his career ( jr and sr )
Positions 20-8 Hewitt, Ferrero, Robredo, Monaco, Moya .. Moya beat him last year, but he is not getting any younger nor better than last year. Djoker did get a lot better. He should get past the old school guys ( already two wins on clay vs Robredo ), Monaco can be a problem if in form.

Conclusion - he can have some problems if he meets 2 or 3 guys from the list above the position of 8. How likely is he to meet them given the Grand Slam type of draw ? He will most likely go deep, from quarters on it depends on who is waiting for him.

CanadianChic
04-17-2008, 01:38 PM
..making it four consecutive titles of each four tournaments in four consecutive attempts! Would it be the greatest record of all time?

I sure hope he can pull it off. Djokovic is the one most likely to stand in his way, IMO, but it would be nice to see.

zagor
04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Djokovic can play on clay,there is no doubt about that.He actually made his first breakthrough in slams when he reached his first slam quartefinal in the FO 2006 beating very good players like Haas and Gonzalez on the way.I still think he is much better on hardcourts and I don't think he'll beat Nadal on clay but he can certainly play great tennis even on clay .

beedlejuice22
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
No one remembers who wins Barcelona, Rome, Monte Carlo. Winning RG is all that should matter to him.

yeah, considering his stature in the game, would they really criticize him for not playing there? Fed doesn't have any problems with the Swiss media for not playing Davis Cup or Gstaad, because they know he can do much bigger things. Hopefully Nadal's fans in Spain realize Barcelona isn't that important in the big picture.

im sure federer remembers quite well who won hamburg;-)

veroniquem
04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
People who think that Djoko can beat Nadal on clay are out of their mind. When was the last time Novak even took a set off rafa on clay? Rafa's biggest threat is still Fed (if his form improves), maybe Davydenko or just someone new, unexpected who will create a surprise (not very likely but always possible).

Fedace
04-17-2008, 02:59 PM
YES he will. He needs to skip Hamburg though. He will get all the points he needs, when he wins Wimbledon so he doesn't need that tournament.

Aabye
04-17-2008, 03:34 PM
I half feel it would be better if he loses in the semis somewhere. He is usually pretty tired after RG, and he still has a bunch of points to defend at Wimby. Now with this calendar collapsing he'll feel the strain even more.

Now, if the question is "Do you think Nadal is capable of pulling if off?", then I'll wait until he plays his first match on clay to see how he's playing. All previous indicators offer a resounding "yes".

Q&M son
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually I don't see Rafa so strong like past years... So I think he won't win all those events.

AM28143
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Nadal is clearly the best clay-court tennis player. Therefore, I expect he will win 3 out of the 4 tournaments, and he may win all 4 again. I am sure Djokovic's clay-court game has improved, but not enough to defeat Nadal, IMHO. Federer remains Nadal's biggest threat, but I don't think he'll be much of a challenge if he doesn't recover fast.
-Adam :)

deme08
04-18-2008, 01:01 AM

He may drop Barcelona but Rome and Monte Carlo are still important tournaments which people will remember him for. "...The greatest player on clay not only dominated Roland Garros but also conquered Rome and Monte Carlo for 4 straight years..." something like that.

Nadal_Freak
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Actually I don't see Rafa so strong like past years... So I think he won't win all those events.
I don't see how you can think this way. Rafa has posted his best hard court results this year. He is just in time to dominate clay.

harrpau7
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
It would be better if he won Monte Carlo/Rome/Hamburg/Roland Garros.

I don't see it though. Of the 4 big clay tourneys, I think Federer, Djokovic and Davydenko have big chances.

Nadal should win the French Open though.

Gugafan
04-19-2008, 07:45 PM
What amazed me watching Nadal last yr on the clay, was hes ability to hitting passing shots on the run. The angles and topspin he generates on clay are frightening, it is almost impossible to hit winners past him.

In addition, Rafa will certainly be burnt out for the grass court swing if he decides to play all five clay courts events and wins them.

my_forehand
04-21-2008, 04:34 AM

Yeah, I just read this...didn't wanna make a new thread in case people had already known so reviving this one:

Three-time defending champion Rafael Nadal leads the first clay ATP Masters Series tournament of the year. The 21-year-old Spaniard, who has defeated rival Roger Federer the last two years in the final, makes his season debut on clay. Over the past three seasons Nadal has won 107 of 110 matches on clay with 17 titles.

While Nadal is a strong favorite to become the first player in tournament history to win the title four consecutive years and Federer is aiming for another final showing, a Spaniard has won the title in five of the last six years (except '04).

Past years was right man...with my calculator in hand, that's a 98% win percentage. DAMN! That's crazy...

All the best for Rafa this year, on clay and hardcourt! :D

futuretoptenner
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I think Nadal will do very well over the clay court season. If he win's a lot of straight sets he may even have the opportunity to win all four titles . To be honest if he does that then surely he has to be acknowledged as the greatest clay courter of all time.

deme08
04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I think Nadal will do very well over the clay court season. If he win's a lot of straight sets he may even have the opportunity to win all four titles . To be honest if he does that then surely he has to be acknowledged as the greatest clay courter of all time.

One down, 3 to go! Four straight Monte Carlo is a phenomenal feat!

deme08
05-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Another one in the bag! Winning Rome is going to be more difficult now that he will be playing for the third straight week.

MichaelNadal
05-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Eventually people will stop doubting him. He lost one SET in 2 tournaments. And the set right after that one he stole 6-1. That says alot.

Morrissey
05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Another one in the bag! Winning Rome is going to be more difficult now that he will be playing for the third straight week.

It wasn´t like he was challenged much in Barcelona, and no doubles either. He´ll be ready for Rome. Still doubting him? Shame on you. Nadal is half way there.

Morrissey
05-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Eventually people will stop doubting him. He lost one SET in 2 tournaments. And the set right after that one he stole 6-1. That says alot.

People will stop doubting once he holds up that RG again. At least for the rest of 2008. 2009 comes along and they will ¨hope¨, I mean doubt all over again.

deme08
05-04-2008, 11:08 AM
It wasn´t like he was challenged much in Barcelona, and no doubles either. He´ll be ready for Rome. Still doubting him? Shame on you. Nadal is half way there.

Take a chill pill Nadal fan. I was stating a fact that its going be more difficult for Nadal physically now that he is playing for the third week straight. I actually created this thread to say how incredible of a record it would be if he is to win all four again this year. No need to get all defensive whenever the name Nadal is mentioned and perceive everything negatively. Shame on you.

Morrissey
05-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Take a chill pill Nadal fan. I was stating a fact that its going be more difficult for Nadal physically now that he is playing for the third week straight. I actually created this thread to say how incredible of a record it would be if he is to win all four again this year. No need to get all defensive whenever the name Nadal is mentioned and perceive everything negatively. Shame on you.

I was "chillin" like you suggested, maybe you took it as defensive since you were wrong. Since Nadal wasn't pushed in Barcelona and played no doubles, he's going into Rome with match toughness and still feeling good physically. In the last 2 weeks, he lost 1 set in 10 matches. So he's been very efficient on a grueling surface. He'll be fired up and ready to go and defend his Rome title. Shame on you for doubting him. Now, Hamburg? Your post would make sense then. But I'm shaking my head and laughing how you people doubt Nadal after all these years on the red stuff. It's like the kids who refuse to believe there's no Santa Claus. Eventually they grow up and accept it.

illkhiboy
05-04-2008, 11:48 AM

I agree.
10 chars

deme08
05-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I was "chillin" like you suggested, maybe you took it as defensive since you were wrong. Since Nadal wasn't pushed in Barcelona and played no doubles, he's going into Rome with match toughness and still feeling good physically. In the last 2 weeks, he lost 1 set in 10 matches. So he's been very efficient on a grueling surface. He'll be fired up and ready to go and defend his Rome title. Shame on you for doubting him. Now, Hamburg? Your post would make sense then. But I'm shaking my head and laughing how you people doubt Nadal after all these years on the red stuff. It's like the kids who refuse to believe there's no Santa Claus. Eventually they grow up and accept it.

Good for you that you believed theres no Santa Claus as a kid. Nadal fans like you are just ridiculous, now people can't even say "Winning Rome is going to be more difficult now that he will be playing for the third straight week" or else we will get flamed for doubting him? Jeez..what kind of logic is that?
Like I said take a chill pill.

deme08
05-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by deme08
I agree.
10 chars

Thank you!!

player2409
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
i dont think his body is gonna hold up but i love him, i hope he can...another win over fed at RG would be sweet

yeah.. it would have been a good idea.. however, now it's too late.. he is going to play all 4 tournaments..!! i hope his strength and power will hold until french open..! ! ;(