PDA

View Full Version : Is this uncool ?

Yolkl
01-08-2005, 09:48 AM
If you are playing doubles and routinely play with two different racquets, is it in poor taste to switch racquets when you change sides so that you could use your better serving stick when you serve ?

Craig Sheppard
01-08-2005, 10:02 AM
If I were playing you, I'd think it's odd, and if it gave you a big advantage, more likely than not I'd be ****ed off. But "in poor taste", I would have to say know, I'd only be ****ed if you were beating me with it, and that's just a reaction to your good play.

Craig

Gaines Hillix
01-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Yolkl, I carry two different types of racquets with me all the time and I've done exactly as you mentioned. I don't worry too much about what the other guy thinks about it. If it helps me win, then it's cool.

equinox
01-08-2005, 11:18 AM
If I were playing you, I'd think it's odd, and if it gave you a big advantage, more likely than not I'd be ****ed off.
I'd wait until i was a few match points up and swap out my POG stick for woody and then beat my opposition with a classically played dropshot. ;)

Yolkl
01-08-2005, 11:58 AM
GH- Way cool. You sound like a thinking man's player. If you ever get up to the NC mountains, we should hit. It's ridiculously warm here for the winter. Been able to play outside at night all year. What else besides the PK and which do you serve with ?
So, I guess that the concensus is that it is cool, but maybe potentially annoying to be a switch-hitter in tennis. Perfect. Are there any racquets out there that are just head over heels better for serving ?

Gaines Hillix
01-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Yolkl, I have 3 different types of sticks in my bag now; 2 PK Laver Ses with Lux ALU Power at 58 lbs, a PS 6.0 95 with gut in the mains and ALU in the crosses @ 58 lbs(an experiment, probably won't do this again) and a tailweighted HH 5.3 OS with Bab Hurricane at 60 lbs. If I'm on my A game(10% of the time), I use the PS. What a stick...wish I was 25 years younger! I use the PK about 80% of the time. I think this is a very underrated frame. If I feel like I really need some extra juice on my serve to help win a game in my doubles matches I break out the tailweighted HH.

Django
01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I saw the young pro Prakash Armitraj do that at a satellite tournament a year or two ago. He must've had one of his Princes strung a bit differently, but that was the one he used for his service games ONLY. (No one seemed to mind.)

NoBadMojo
01-08-2005, 12:48 PM
gaines rather than having to try and adjust to hitting w. different frames, have you ever just tried varying your setups in your go to frame? that seems to work for lots of players. i've got two of my axes strung the same (60 pounds) and another in the mid 50's which i go to if i am getting thumped and have to pull out all the stops and go for broke, or if i am really feeling confident and am burying a cocky pure drive junior beneath the clay :) i also use this frame to teach with because it is effortless for feeding balls and such. a t10mp strung mid 50's w. gut is a very powerful thing.