PDA

View Full Version : Is stringing during the summer a good job? Are there tips? (moved from machines)

bobbyjonesrocks
04-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I had this in the stringing machine forum but I thought that it would be more appropriate to place it in this section.

Here's what I wrote in my original post...

I was wondering if stringing during the summer is a good job? Does anyone do this? How do you deal with bad customers? How do the rackets get transported? Please enlighten me since I just got a Gamma X-2 and am possibly wanting to upgrade this machine. I figured that stringing during the summer would be a good way to make money.

Can anyone offer me some input? Thanks :)

Nitro
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I used to string during the summer when I was (much) younger. Money depends on what it is you are doing and where you are doing it. If you hang around the local club a lot and know a lot of players there you may very well be able to latch on to guys who play a lot and break a lot of strings. How good a summer job it is depends really on volume (which equals money) which is dependent on how good a stringer you are (speed and quality) and your circumstances. Only you can answer that last part.

bobbyjonesrocks
04-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I am excited about stringing rackets. But I am afraid of one thing, bad customers. How would you deal with one? What should you do if they ask for me to do it again? When should I "draw the line" and say no?

miniRafa386
04-16-2008, 05:46 PM
YES, especially when you live in a waspy town like myself, where every housewife plays tennis, string it up with cheap stuff cause they dont know the difference, and you make a lot of dough :)

bobbyjonesrocks
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Are you thinking about Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex? Or something else?

supermario343
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
YES, especially when you live in a waspy town like myself, where every housewife plays tennis, string it up with cheap stuff cause they dont know the difference, and you make a lot of dough :)

must be nice :-P and a lot of milfs huh? haha ;)

Cup8489
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
must be nice :-P and a lot of milfs huh? haha ;)

terrible. but then again, the spouses would be at work. i wouldnt be surprised..

yes, psgd is a very good string to keep stocked. the majority of people use it, and will just say 'synthetic gut at __ lbs'. after that first job, most will just ask for 'what you used last time' and pay no further thought

just possibly get a reel of duraflex 16g, and maybe a few poly sets like cyberflash or big hitter. something generic and cheap. after that, try to find out what people like, or if certain people prefer a specific string, say BB ALU power.

but do research on people's preferences after the first orders.

themitchmann
04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Don't invest a ton on money on your inventory, or you won't break even. Maybe order stock every week (or every other week), instead of trying to supply you whole summer. You will start to realize how much string you'll need until the next order (always have a couple extra sets...).