PDA

View Full Version : Worst string to work with???

Motherwasp
04-16-2008, 03:39 PM
This evening I had to string 4 Radicals with Babolat Pro Hurricane and it wasn't the most enjoyable experience. It's really dry and makes a nasty sound when pulling through the slack on the crosses, plus knots didn't tighten well. Luckily it was for a team-mate so won't have to use it for a while, I don't think i'll be ordering any myself though.

Other than that the coil memory on Alu Power is a real pain, especially if you're doing a one-piece....lucky for me I hybrid it.

Anyone else got any strings they don't like working with for any reason??
The more obscure reasons the better!! ;)

YULitle
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Gamma Rough

iplaybetter
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
almost anything with full poly, but full redcode in a 18x20 is hell

Cup8489
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
yes. tnt2 rough is quite possibly the worst string ever.

although i did dislike the gosen polylon 17g. it kept slipping, and after all that hard work (first poly job, when i was still using my coaches machine), it gave me TE! stuff is evil to me, really. i can't stand it

but yes, gamma rough is just a nightmare. PHT doesnt compare for me, since for a while i was stringing full setups of it every day. but it's cool

i wouldnt use it though.

TennisNewbie85
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
natural gut cuz its kinked so easily!

Cup8489
04-16-2008, 03:51 PM
almost anything with full poly, but full redcode in a 18x20 is hell

just about any poly in a 18x20 is hell.

you remember that bab. duralast? some jerk on my team asked me to do a full setup in his prestige mid. i almost ripped my hair out trying to weave crosses.

but he did pay me generously :)

nickb
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
This evening I had to string 4 Radicals with Babolat Pro Hurricane and it wasn't the most enjoyable experience. It's really dry and makes a nasty sound when pulling through the slack on the crosses, plus knots didn't tighten well. Luckily it was for a team-mate so won't have to use it for a while, I don't think i'll be ordering any myself though.

Other than that the coil memory on Alu Power is a real pain, especially if you're doing a one-piece....lucky for me I hybrid it.

I also hate pro hurricane and string the same sticks with it for a customer..its even worse with the dense pattern. Here are my worst 5:

- Gamma Dura Spin - horrible coating that rips my fingers apart
- Head Rip Control - pain to weave on crosses
- Luxilon BB Original 15g - so much coil memory!
- Luxilon BB Ace 18 - too thin! have to adjust clamps...slips easily
- Ashaway Crossfire - mains dont stretch and have rough surface, tie offs on mains are a pain and crosses make horrible noise when tensioning!

Nick :)

themitchmann
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
I think Babolat Pro Hurricane is my least favorite of all time...comes out of the package like a spring, then is very wiry, and definitely wants to bite into the mains when weaving crosses. Very easy to burn the mains, especially at the end of the crosses.

Motherwasp
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I think Babolat Pro Hurricane is my least favorite of all time...comes out of the package like a spring, then is very wiry, and definitely wants to bite into the mains when weaving crosses. Very easy to burn the mains, especially at the end of the crosses.

Yup.....it was effort weaving the last few crosses and slowly pulling through the slack.

miniRafa386
04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
gamma ruff hands down

samej07
04-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Gosen Polyon in a Flexpoint radical is horrible. by the last few crosses i couldnt even pull the string with my bare hands. i had to use pliers to pull it.

i also didnt like kirshbaum super smash spikey. it slid across itself ok, but i didnt like the feel of it or the sound it made while i pulled it.

chrisplchs
04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
alu rough in classic prestige mid

full poly in 18x20 on a 93 head with cap grommets... i'll quit stringing now.. j/k

iplaybetter
04-16-2008, 05:03 PM
I also hate pro hurricane and string the same sticks with it for a customer..its even worse with the dense pattern. Here are my worst 5:

- Ashaway Crossfire - mains dont stretch and have rough surface, tie offs on mains are a pain and crosses make horrible noise when tensioning!

i second the rip control

also PSG is not funn right out of the package, one you get the first mains in its great but out of the package its hellish for me

Cup8489
04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
i second the rip control

also PSG is not funn right out of the package, one you get the first mains in its great but out of the package its hellish for me

really? i never had an issue at all with it, either original or with duraflex.

jonolau
04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Lux ALU Power Rough ... especially on the crosses.

iplaybetter
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
i did some 5-star a while ago and it was actually not so bad

schaefferm46
04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
blue gear.

matchpoints
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Pro Hurricane is like using soft Synthetics when compared to Gamma Ruff.

Cup8489
04-16-2008, 07:28 PM

just about anything is better than gamma ruff. it ws one of the free sets with my machine, and it was so terrible i didnt know what to do..

Casey10s
04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Gamma Natural Gut 16.

It was like trying to string with 12 AWG wire. It was the stiffest string I ever used. Made stiff poly seem like a breeze to work with.

PBODY99
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
While Gamma rough is nasty to weave, Head Perfect Control in a 18 x 20 get my nod. Delicate due to coating, soft so it hates blocked holes.

weaver
04-16-2008, 08:47 PM
As most people said anything that is full poly, but try stringing in a prestige... not so fun :)

supermario343
04-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Def. agree with you on the ashway crossfire on the tie offs at the end lol...and on the K90, getting the syn gut in the holes for the finishing holes at the crosses..ughhh so hard!

BigGriff
04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Gamma Rough

OMG I hate stringing that stuff. I hate stringing it is a players frame 18x20 (Ugghhh). I have to tape up my fingers when I string that crap. :evil:

themitchmann
04-17-2008, 04:44 AM

I never used it...and based on these comments, probably never will.

blackfrido
04-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Nick, I gues you forget everything when you hit with Ashaway Crossfire, right?

nickb
04-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Nick, I gues you forget everything when you hit with Ashaway Crossfire, right?

Yeah its a great hybrid...worth the pain of stringing !

Nick

downey stringing master
04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
i hated ****** kevlar, tennis tech is good though. any full poly. mains are fine though. blue gears abum and tf prc and bbapr is pretty bad.

Motherwasp
04-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone else found SPPP to be quite brittle??? Ive had it snap whilst tensioning (all be it at 68lbs) and a couple of times when tightening knots.

Big-Serve
04-17-2008, 01:32 PM
i hate the signum pro hex

TenniseaWilliams
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Anyone else found SPPP to be quite brittle??? Ive had it snap whilst tensioning (all be it at 68lbs) and a couple of times when tightening knots.

SPPP gets my vote as well, haven't yet had the experience of stringing it anywhere near that tension, doesn't bend, afraid it might shatter.

Prince Recoil has such a soft coating, I hate stringing with it, can never get the stuff into the frame without a couple of visible scrapes, and the smell!

Also, how come no one mentions a full job of coated natural gut like Tonic or VS? Slippery in the clamps, every clamping leaves a ghost mark, always at 60+ lb, and you know you won't forgive yourself if you trash $25-$35 on a mistake!

Never tried Gamma Rough, totally looking forward to it...not.

jcstennis
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
i can't stand Lux ALU Rough... we pre-weave racquets and that stuff is...ugghhh!!!! dont' get me started. ;(

hotseat
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
gamma ruff hands down

ditto (10 char)

jesus_l11
04-17-2008, 02:18 PM
polylon ice 17g
topspin polytech 1.25
both of these in a kblade tour is hell

themitchmann
04-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I strung up some Prince Lightning XX with Powerfoil...easy to string, but very slippery. Felt like I had to wash my hands halfway through the racquet. Pulling crosses was super easy, though.

matchpoints
04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
SPPP gets my vote as well, haven't yet had the experience of stringing it anywhere near that tension, doesn't bend, afraid it might shatter.

Prince Recoil has such a soft coating, I hate stringing with it, can never get the stuff into the frame without a couple of visible scrapes, and the smell!

Also, how come no one mentions a full job of coated natural gut like Tonic or VS? Slippery in the clamps, every clamping leaves a ghost mark, always at 60+ lb, and you know you won't forgive yourself if you trash $25-$35 on a mistake!

Never tried Gamma Rough, totally looking forward to it...not.

I do a lot of Tonic and it's a pleasure to use compared to the Original Poly's and also other stuff. I want to say that all clamps will leave that ghosting mark. The thing I do is clean the clamps with 100% Acetone ($2 at Wal-Mart) before using Natural Gut anything. I also use a starting clamp to assist my regular clamps on the first couple mains. I haven't used Prince Recoil and won't due to the high price. For that price you might as well use Natural Gut.

TenniseaWilliams
04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I do a lot of Tonic and it's a pleasure to use compared to the Original Poly's and also other stuff. I want to say that all clamps will leave that ghosting mark. The thing I do is clean the clamps with 100% Acetone ($2 at Wal-Mart) before using Natural Gut anything. I also use a starting clamp to assist my regular clamps on the first couple mains. I haven't used Prince Recoil and won't due to the high price. For that price you might as well use Natural Gut.

Totally agree with the Recoil comment. I do recommend Tonic to anyone that will listen, string it for the wife in the mains. My son and I use poly mains, unfortunately the no common sense thing runs in the family. I use alcohol and shoe laces to clean the clamps, am really sensitive to the acetone smell...must be the low ventilation. Your sig makes me want to travel (this time for fun!)

migjam
04-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Luxilon Big Banger Original on a Head Prestige!

YonexFanatic21
04-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Kevlar = Pain IMO

jonolau
04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
While Gamma rough is nasty to weave, Head Perfect Control in a 18 x 20 get my nod. Delicate due to coating, soft so it hates blocked holes.

Agreed! I just finished stringing up a set of Head Perfect Control and the there's a surprising amount of coil memory on this string.

Voltron
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
My worst experience is stringing a Head FXP Prestige Mid with BB ALU Rough at 66 LBS, it cut up my hands like nobodies business.

goosala
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Polyester is the worst.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Natural gut is pain to work with. It's easy to snap, it kinks up pretty easily. It just takes extra time and care.

Pusher
04-18-2008, 12:34 PM

I agree. When tension is applied to the PH it sounds like the racquet is coming apart. That stuff is bone dry.

At the other end is any really soft multifilament. Is it true you can make your own mutli with a pasta machine?

Freedom
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Full Luxilon in an 18x20 sucks so bad.

william
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
alu rough in classic prestige mid

full poly in 18x20 on a 93 head with cap grommets... i'll quit stringing now.. j/k

My first ever string job was poly in a prestige mid. Good experience!!

armsty
06-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Wilson Enduro - any gauge.

Strung my mates N95 with it and it took me forever because it wasn't elastic at all. Took me almost an hour and 20 minutes to do.

Then he snapped them after about 2 weeks so I had to do it again... This set has lasted him almost 3 months :s

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-01-2008, 12:14 AM
RIP control... worse multi to work with, that thing is like wire

Loco4Tennis
06-01-2008, 04:12 AM
any poly on the crosses, sucks, i tried using synthetic guts mains, when on like a dream, then i crosses it with technifiber poly 16L g, man did it hurt, hard to weave, and tie off like mentioned,

another string thats a pain is wilson hex-spin, the hexagonal shape one, one the mains its fine when putting on, but it hurts when you have to fan the strings

Loco4Tennis
06-01-2008, 04:14 AM
Full Luxilon in an 18x20 sucks so bad.

ha, feel your pain, haver you tried synt gut crosses and just tensioning them higher, stringing with this combo should feel good, both on stringing and volleys

morten
06-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Klip armour pro, the coating actually makes it harder to string for me....

Mansewerz
06-01-2008, 07:07 AM

Gamma Dura Spin wasn't that bad. It was actually fine, maybe its cuz I go slower than you though ;). Also, What is coil memory and what does it mean to kink?

ambro
06-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Any type of cheap sh*tty natural gut that someone gives me, but especially Grand Slam Gut, because that's the only kind that will last long enough for me to get p*ssed ad it. The rest snap on the first few mains usually. Blue Gear sucks too.

Thank god I've never used Gamma Ruff, it sounds like hell.

stringwalla
06-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Kirschbaum Spiky- stiffest poly I've worked with + texture
Ashaway Kelvar Gear- greatest weaving resistance ever
Ashaway Dynamite- delicate coating burns and tears easily

Mansewerz
06-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Gamma Dura Spin wasn't that bad. It was actually fine, maybe its cuz I go slower than you though ;). Also, What is coil memory and what does it mean to kink?

Bump! 10 chars

jim e
06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
What is coil memory and what does it mean to kink?

Coil memory is the string coils that persists after you cut the tie that keeps the string coiled(Its the loops sort of to say). if you pull a coil tightly without un looping it, you will form a kink, a kind of sharp bend in the string, which will weaken the string. Once you open a package of good natural gut you will see the string maintain its coil, and once you pull a coil of the gut tight you will then know what a kink is, and will avoid both after that 1st time. That is why I very gently prestretch nat. gut once it is opened, I pull it just until the string goes limp, does not take much,only a gentle pull for a few seconds, and that takes care of a good amount of the coil memory, and less untangling so you do not get a kink in gut to ruin the string.It makes the stringing go easier for me. I know a lot of stringers do not like to prestretch, but I only gently do it, just to make the job easier, I use to do a lot of nat. gut stringing back in the 60's-early 70's, almost as much as the tournament nylons that were used back then. The old timer back then that taught me to string, showed me how to pre stretch, just to make the stringing easier, and always worked for me.Now that I am back stringing again , I still do it the same way.Gut is not that difficult, its even easier than it was years ago, now that it has a coating. just have to be a little more carefull , but I am carefull even with other strings as well, so not to kink, so gut really is not that more time consuming for me.

Hatari!
06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Grass gator.

Eric4
06-01-2008, 12:28 PM
i had to string 5 technifibre 20x20 racquets in a row using pht

i wanted to die

iplaybetter
06-01-2008, 12:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
owch, what stick?

Eric4
06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
it was a sponsored player's racquets, all i rember was that it was a tecnifibre

Mansewerz
06-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Coil memory is the string coils that persists after you cut the tie that keeps the string coiled(Its the loops sort of to say). if you pull a coil tightly without un looping it, you will form a kink, a kind of sharp bend in the string, which will weaken the string. Once you open a package of good natural gut you will see the string maintain its coil, and once you pull a coil of the gut tight you will then know what a kink is, and will avoid both after that 1st time. That is why I very gently prestretch nat. gut once it is opened, I pull it just until the string goes limp, does not take much,only a gentle pull for a few seconds, and that takes care of a good amount of the coil memory, and less untangling so you do not get a kink in gut to ruin the string.It makes the stringing go easier for me. I know a lot of stringers do not like to prestretch, but I only gently do it, just to make the job easier, I use to do a lot of nat. gut stringing back in the 60's-early 70's, almost as much as the tournament nylons that were used back then. The old timer back then that taught me to string, showed me how to pre stretch, just to make the stringing easier, and always worked for me.Now that I am back stringing again , I still do it the same way.Gut is not that difficult, its even easier than it was years ago, now that it has a coating. just have to be a little more carefull , but I am carefull even with other strings as well, so not to kink, so gut really is not that more time consuming for me.

I see thanks!

iplaybetter
06-01-2008, 01:56 PM
it was a sponsored player's racquets, all i rember was that it was a tecnifibre

sounds like an odd stick

Eric4
06-01-2008, 02:01 PM
thankfully hes sponsored by babolat now

Loco4Tennis
06-02-2008, 06:21 AM
i think any small head size racquet with a full poly job would suck, when i say poly, that also includes all co-poly strings since they are stiff aswell, thanks goodness i did not like the soft mains and poly cross setup i tried
in the setup i mentioned its the poly that makes it bad and what sucks
the only time i find mains to bother me is when the mains are textured, such as the new luxilon hex shaped string, that feels like a saw on your fingers

goosala
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Polys suck to work with.

iplaybetter
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
i did some gama ruff yesterday in my stick, primarily to see ifit realy isnt that bad, and to try it:
stringing= no worse that aul power rough in a 16x20 mid
playing= this stuff sucks

duso
06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Much of it is your state of mind when stringing. My worst are Wilson Endoro, and Klip K-Boom

prostaff18
06-06-2008, 07:52 AM
One night I had to string 4 Microgel Prestige with full ALU Power Spin @ 65lbs. 2 more at 57lbs. 2 LM Prestige full ALU Power 60lbs. 2 K95(18x20) full timo 62lbs. And to add insult to injury the next morning I had to string 2 n6.1 tour with Head Ultra-Tour at 62lbs and another K95(18x20) full timo.

This is the worst time that I have ever had stringing racquets. After that night I thought about selling my machine and never going near a racquet ever again. It was ok....I just hate doing the last crosses in those prestiges will full poly at 65lbs.

But as far as the worst string I hate Luxilon Monotec! I had one bad experience with it and ever since I hate life when I see a set of that stuff. Also I had a set of Attraction ball up on me as soon as I cut the bands on it once. It was a nightmare. I had to uncoil the string by hand and I then did a prestrech because I didn't want to mess with that string in its natural state. I have strung many sets of it before and after and no other problems....just that one set. I just cut the bands and it exploded into a ball of mess. I don't know what happened. It was pretty crazy....looking back kind of funny.

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
One night I had to string 4 Microgel Prestige with full ALU Power Spin @ 65lbs. 2 more at 57lbs. 2 LM Prestige full ALU Power 60lbs. 2 K95(18x20) full timo 62lbs. And to add insult to injury the next morning I had to string 2 n6.1 tour with Head Ultra-Tour at 62lbs and another K95(18x20) full timo.

This is the worst time that I have ever had stringing racquets. After that night I thought about selling my machine and never going near a racquet ever again. It was ok....I just hate doing the last crosses in those prestiges will full poly at 65lbs.

But as far as the worst string I hate Luxilon Monotec! I had one bad experience with it and ever since I hate life when I see a set of that stuff. Also I had a set of Attraction ball up on me as soon as I cut the bands on it once. It was a nightmare. I had to uncoil the string by hand and I then did a prestrech because I didn't want to mess with that string in its natural state. I have strung many sets of it before and after and no other problems....just that one set. I just cut the bands and it exploded into a ball of mess. I don't know what happened. It was pretty crazy....looking back kind of funny.

LOL, that sucks. I expected mids to be easier because they were smaller and less to string. Now I realize that the crosses suck! Also, what's bad about CAP grommets? everyone says they suck to string.

prostaff18
06-06-2008, 06:51 PM
LOL, that sucks. I expected mids to be easier because they were smaller and less to string. Now I realize that the crosses suck! Also, what's bad about CAP grommets? everyone says they suck to string.

The problem that I have with CAP grommets is that if you lace your mains if you pull the string through too far you cant push the string back through the CAP grommet very easily. I like to lace my mains because I take the string off reels most of the time and I'm crazy about taking too much string. Plus I feel like it is faster that way. Also sometimes the holes are blocked somewhat by the CAP. On most racquets I don't have to look when I put the string into the grommet, but on the prestige I have to look most of the time. But on the MG prestige they put more of a gap so you have more room to put the string.

JohnS
06-06-2008, 09:30 PM
From my past experiences:

Aramid on a mid prestege 18x20
Red Code for same rqt
Red Code for Technifibre 325 18x20 at 63 lbs
Babalot pro hurricane for Tech. 325

lux. doesnt bother me for some reason. Pro hurricane is harder to straighten for the crosses for some reason. Red code feels like hard and sticky for some reason. It's really stiff to work with.

JohnS
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
those bumper/head guards for those LM and Fxp head rqts needs to die. It's a pain to pull string out. (venting from doing this almost everyday for freaking college team).

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 09:57 PM
The problem that I have with CAP grommets is that if you lace your mains if you pull the string through too far you cant push the string back through the CAP grommet very easily. I like to lace my mains because I take the string off reels most of the time and I'm crazy about taking too much string. Plus I feel like it is faster that way. Also sometimes the holes are blocked somewhat by the CAP. On most racquets I don't have to look when I put the string into the grommet, but on the prestige I have to look most of the time. But on the MG prestige they put more of a gap so you have more room to put the string.

What do you mean by lace?

fleetparadox
06-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Gosen Polylon on an 18 x 20 Midsize.

Ugh...

Fatkat
06-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Babolat Pro Hurricane eats my fingernails when I do a one piece.

Fatkat
06-07-2008, 04:12 AM
natural gut cuz its kinked so easily!

That's why you pre-stretch it tennisnoob!

on a side note: If you a man like you say Motherwasp, why don't you post a picture of a man instead the lovely young lady. I don't believe you!:) or unless you your side note says Motherwasp is a *****.

iplaybetter
06-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Gosen Polylon on an 18 x 20 Midsize.

Ugh...

polylon is not bad at all

Djlpenguin
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Full bed of weed whacker on a 95sq in head 18x20! :D