PDA

View Full Version : will justine henin finish number 1

venusandserenafreak
04-16-2008, 04:38 PM
justine henin is stugling for form right now but with clay court season just staring she has a lot of points to defend will she be able to defend them and have a decent year and finish world number one again? if not who do u think can overtake her number 1 ranking by the end of the season?

gj011
04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
She will lose the #1 is she does not start to play better.

Sharapova or Ivanovic will replace her, if change on top happens.

flyer
04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
if i had to guess now i would pick sharapova, when playing she has been the clear cut best player this year, still you never know with her injuries can always derail her train

anointedone
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
She has all the ability to be year end #1. Serena will neither play enough or be consistent enough to be that anyway. Maria and Ana are maybe threats for it. However Justine has all the ability to do it. The question is what is wrong with her game right now. She has played terrible miserable tennis so far this year. I cant remember how long ago it was since she played this badly. She has to find her game or else there is no way she can be year end #1.

dgrave2
04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Henin has so many points though lol. about 2000 more than ivanovic (#2)

anointedone
04-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Henin has so many points though lol. about 2000 more than ivanovic (#2)

Yeah and in the latter part of the year especialy she will be defending all those points that she build from her 30+ match win streak which includes tier 1 titles, the U.S Open title, the year end Championships title. In her current form she will be dropping those like a stone so she had better get her game together and it has to start now. As usual she has alot of points to defend on clay coming up too.

swimntennis
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I think everyone can agree that she has more than enough ability and talent to, but who knows what's going on with her game right now.

If I were her, my #1 goal of the year would be winning Wimbledon, not ending number 1 or anything else. It's like Federer winning RG. It's one of the only major tournaments she's never won.

dgrave2
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
do they have on the WTA website where you can see the points they have to defend like they do on the ATP website?

split-step
04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
She has all the ability to be year end #1. Serena will neither play enough or be consistent enough to be that anyway. Maria and Ana are maybe threats for it. However Justine has all the ability to do it. The question is what is wrong with her game right now. She has played terrible miserable tennis so far this year. I cant remember how long ago it was since she played this badly.

2005. She got in a bad slump after winning the French Open. Was injury based though.

boredone3456
04-16-2008, 08:58 PM
If I had to pick someone it would be sharapova. Ivanovic has a few points to defend this year also...the french open final, berlin, a few hard court summer titles and deep finishes. Sharapova...because of her injury last year missed a lot and will have a clean slate going into a lot of events. Jankovic is gonna slip if she doesnt defend her titles. I wouldn't count in Kuznetsova...unless she finds some imperial form we have yet to see from her. everyone else in the top 10 is way to far behind henin to catch her unless she loses in the first or second round everywhere she plays and they win or reach plenty of finals all year. But for Sharapova to do it she is gonna have to, I think reach the semi's or better almost everywhere she plays and hope Henin keeps her inconsistancies up and has a few early loses.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Why does no one have any confidence in the world #1's anymore? :confused:

anointedone
04-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Why does no one have any confidence in the world #1's anymore? :confused:

Have you seen them play this year. If you did you would know the answer.

James
04-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Justine has played assy all season, and at this rate there's no way she'd end the year as number one.

I'm expecting a 2005-esque season, where she does amazing on clay and sucks everywhere else; even so I think she'll have a tougher time at RG this year.

beedlejuice22
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
i think she will stay number 1 atleast through the clay season because none of the other top women are really any good on clay. but justine is great on clay so she will keep number 1 through the clay season. no telling how she would do in wimbledon or the us open series. she could do very well or she could still be having knee problems

wta_fan
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Justine has won 2 titles this year, and reached 3 QFs. For her own standards it isn't good. But for the other players who are usually very unconsistent i don't think its "miserable". I'd pick Maria to be no.1 at the end of the year and not because she has the best game its because no one wants it more than her.

flyer
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Justine has won 2 titles this year, and reached 3 QFs. For her own standards it isn't good. But for the other players who are usually very unconsistent i don't think its "miserable". I'd pick Maria to be no.1 at the end of the year and not because she has the best game its because no one wants it more than her.

good point, i havent heard the hunger factor argument but its certainly valid