PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good strategy?

doublefault2008
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I just found a strategy that so far has worked for me 100% of the time. Whenever I play with someone who is a bit on the fat side or inconsistent, I tend to slice it away from them on every shot and rush the net to end the point.
Should I not do that as much because I know that ****es my opponent off a lot when I do that. Of course I use different strategy when playing different people . So i guess my question is should I do what it takes to win?

04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Depends on why you are playing. If you and I are going out twice a week to get some exercise, get out of the house and shoot the breeze, (primarily social) don't treat me like that! hahaha

But,

If it is a tourney, league match, or that's what you want to work on in your game, by all means, go for it and win.

spiritdragon
04-16-2008, 07:25 PM
lol, thats what fabrice santoro does but just cuz it works for him, doesnt mean that it will work for you once you get to higher levels. try to develop your strokes and become more consistent.

Vision84
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Chipping and charging is a good strategy against many players and a very useful tool in your arsenal. I suggest that if you want to win then by all means go for it but be aware that you should still work on other shots so that if that plan fails to work then you have more versatility. Also at higher levels that strategy will become less effective when used exclusively.

Gantz
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
know an even better strategy against fat people? drop lobs.

rookie_rock
04-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Yeah, it's quite tempting to use the slice strategy to finish of the point. But I guess the game is more interesting beyond slice, as in, winning the point and beating your opponent in rallies. There you are simply not defeating your opponent in rallies but you are having a psychological edge over him by denting his confidence.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 04:47 AM
If your serious about winning then that's a great strategy when you play people who don't react well to the ball. If the match isn't a big deal then maybe it's not the best idea.

Just don't think that all your opponents will have the same problem, some players can really rip slice shots.

baek57
04-17-2008, 05:06 AM
good strategy to have. an effective slice approach will force your opponent to hit up on the ball, giving you an easier volley to finish the point.

LuckyR
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Works great, until you run into a counterpuncher...

Macdaddy1129
04-17-2008, 03:48 PM
For me, lobbing a ball over an opponent off of a slice shot is much easier than to lob a ball that has been hit with a solid amount of topspin. If you are playing an inconsistent player, chances are they dont have a very developed backhand(seeing as most lower skilled players dont). Although there are exceptions, what has always been my standard approach shot, is hitting the ball deep, with enough topspin to force the oppenent to hit the ball high, and then approach the net. Nine out of ten times, if you are playing a player that is incosistent, your opponent will either hit the ball in the net, miss the ball, or hit it out. In the rare occasion that they do return the ball, you can just hit an easy volley to the open court or ram an overhead down their throat. I have found option two to be very satisifyind.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
know an even better strategy against fat people? drop lobs.

Or you could always tie donuts to their racquets.

Gantz
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Or you could always tie donuts to their racquets.

yup. just make sure to get the kind with extra sugar.

YonexFanatic21
04-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Don't stop doing it because the opponent is ****. Its not your fault that he couldn't get it he has to learn how to deal with it like some people have to deal with pushers just because they push doesn't mean you should hate them because they win you at times because if you are really better then them you can beat them