PDA

View Full Version : Customizing to Increase Spin

Power Game
01-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Is it possible to customize your racquet to increase spin? Would adding lead to the head make the ball flatten out more and add more spin, or would adding lead to the handle make a racquet more headlight and thus easier to get racquet head speed?
Any tips/comments are appreciated?
Thanks

shissncg
01-08-2005, 11:22 AM
head heavy racquets make it easier to generate spin

Gaines Hillix
01-08-2005, 11:25 AM
PowerGame, if you can swing the racquet at the same speed and you use the same grip, adding weight can increase spin because there would be more weight behind the ball at an equal head speed. However, if you can't swing it as fast, the increased weight and reduced head speed will offset each other somewhat(I can't remember the formula on which one is most important). Adding weight to the handle creates the illusion that the frame is more head light, but the swingweight will be just as high if not slightly higher so you won't be generating any more head speed.

NoBadMojo
01-08-2005, 11:35 AM
no offense intended, but that isnt true. head heavy frames make it harder to generate spin (in most cases) because weight in the head makes the frame harder to swing fast and racquethead speed gives you more chance for spin. adding weight to a frame anywhere....well that adds weight to a frame and isnt going to give you more spin potential, but it will of course make your frame more headlight if you weight the handle. spin is probably 85% technique, 10% frame, and maybe 2% strings, living 3% to cover stuff like alchemy, potions, talismans, placebo affects, confidence, and such :O....soooo i would say that given the same racquet, the things that would help <beyond improving technique of course> would be to remove weight from it somehow, make the grip smaller, and go for a string that will spin more (to me that would be one of two extremes..nat gut or kevlar). caveats on the smaller grip and the kevlar.

shissncg
01-08-2005, 01:00 PM
making the grip smaller would not increase spin on groundstrokes, it would only increase the odds of the racquet spinning in your hand and potentially elbow / forearm soreness

Rabbit
01-08-2005, 02:25 PM
One way to increase spin potential is to string the crosses 2-3 pounds looser than the mains. I have been told that this increases dwell time on the strings thereby increasing the amount of spin produced.

Venetian
01-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Smaller grip sizes and head heavy balances DO increase spin

devilish_duke
01-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy Connors used to use lead tape to add topspin to his forehand. He would add some of it to one side (3 or 9 i believe) of his racquet, the T2000. How he got spin from that is beyond me, but then again he IS connors.

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2005, 03:00 PM
no offense intended, but that isnt true. head heavy frames make it harder to generate spin (in most cases) because weight in the head makes the frame harder to swing fast and racquethead speed gives you more chance for spin
That (what NoBadMojo says in the above) is true.

I have a 6.0 with about 40g of lead at 9 and 3 (for a total of 410g strung), and it plays more difficult in terms of topspin generation than a Tour 90 I have, which I loaded with only 10g (for a total of 375g, I think). OK, the larger area of Tour 90 contributes to it, but still.

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy Connors used to use lead tape to add topspin to his forehand. He would add some of it to one side (3 or 9 i believe) of his racquet, the T2000. How he got spin from that is beyond me, but then again he IS connors.

Not that much topspin for today's age. He played pretty flat from both sides.

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
PowerGame, if you can swing the racquet at the same speed and you use the same grip, adding weight can increase spin because there would be more weight behind the ball at an equal head speed. However, if you can't swing it as fast, the increased weight and reduced head speed will offset each other somewhat

That is true. If you can't swing it as fast, which is generally the case after weighting up.

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd rather use another racket, with a less dense string pattern, or with a larger area.

PurePrestige
01-08-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure about which does which, but it seems to me that racquet head speed is the key to spin rather than weight. But you need weight to hit the ball hard with spin.

In this case if you added lead to the handle to make a racquet more headlight, you could get more racquet head speed in a heavier racquet. Which is why racquet companies make the heavier racquets headlight? So you generate spin with a heavier racquet.

Only thing i'm not sure of is, why when you add a significant amount to the handle the head feels less stable? Doesn't make sense to me but some setups just are good for generating spin. Certain Weight and Balance setups must just blend the ability to get racquet head speed with the weight that will be behind the ball.

RedGinseng
01-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I have a 6.0 with about 40g of lead at 9 and 3 (for a total of 410g strung), and it plays more difficult in terms of topspin generation than a Tour 90 I have, which I loaded with only 10g (for a total of 375g, I think). OK, the larger area of Tour 90 contributes to it, but still.

Dayum, 40g of lead tape is kind of scary. How many layers do you have on it? and how does it play? I'm just curious. Anyway I really enjoy your posts and links. keep them coming :)

Marius_Hancu
01-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Dayum, 40g of lead tape is kind of scary. How many layers do you have on it? and how does it play? I'm just curious. Anyway I really enjoy your posts and links. keep them coming :)

9 layers of Gamma tape, something like 5 inches in length each. Nothing in the handle/cap. I had something there but found that the racket vibrated too much on serves. Perhaps the lead wasn't well fixated in the cap. So I took the lead down from the cap, tried to play with it this way, and managed quite well, thus it stayed this way.

I have another 6.0 with the same amount of lead, but it's Babolat lead, double as thick, thus only 4 layers to get the same effect.

The racket plays great, but I have to prepare earlier in terms of takeback at the baseline and move well.

However, the shots are very solid, flatter though. I would say I am more successful in playing with it with the Sampras takeback (elbow cocked) with an Eastern FH, than with the multi-segmented FH, but that's just me. On BH, the slice is much better than with the lighter rackets.

On volleys, I just have to put the racket in the right place, and punch less. Very stable torsionally, as expected.

The racket is 2 points head light, _strung_ (at 68lbs, NXT Tour 17 or Babolat Tonic+ gut).

Helped me a lot in terms of tennis elbow.