PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Wozniacki DQed

flyer
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I was reading up on up and coming tennis players and was reading Wozniacki's wikipedia, I really like her game, is entertaining to watch and she seemed to be a sweet girl, then I read that she got disqualified in a US Open girls match for abusing a line person, it said she cussed at them, anybody know any details about this?

Mike Bulgakov
04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
I was reading up on up and coming tennis players and was reading Wozniacki's wikipedia, I really like her game, is entertaining to watch and she seemed to be a sweet girl, then I read that she got disqualified in a US Open girls match for abusing a line person, it said she cussed at them, anybody know any details about this?
Like many Danish women, Caroline is pretty outspoken. Her father is from Poland and came to Denmark to coach soccer, but she is very Danish. Wozniacki is a really nice young woman who speaks her mind. She is smart and has a lot of personality.

9000tennis
04-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I remember this. Apparently there was some sort of misunderstanding. There was a bad call against Caroline and she asked the referee to put on his/her sunglasses. But that was enough to get dq'ed. I guess there is no guidelines to what you can say on court. If that's enough to get dq'ed, then some players would never make it past the first few games.

Lately she has been in the news in Denmark, because there were some speculations that she was dating Nadal. She isn't by the way.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Seems a little strange that they'd DQ her for that after the things Mcenroe has said in the past.

Sounds like a friendly conversation in comparison.

flyer
04-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Seems a little strange that they'd DQ her for that after the things Mcenroe has said in the past.

Sounds like a friendly conversation in comparison.

haha yeah, i guess they wanted to teach the youngster a lesson

thanks to all for the responses

flyer
04-17-2008, 05:01 AM
I remember this. Apparently there was some sort of misunderstanding. There was a bad call against Caroline and she asked the referee to put on his/her sunglasses. But that was enough to get dq'ed. I guess there is no guidelines to what you can say on court. If that's enough to get dq'ed, then some players would never make it past the first few games.

Lately she has been in the news in Denmark, because there were some speculations that she was dating Nadal. She isn't by the way.

Doesn't Nadal have a girlfriend? my Gd the tennis circuit is like a soap opera, they are all serial daters.

I see it now though:

Nadal: Will you like go date with me?
Caroline: Yes.
Nadal: VAMOOOOOOOOS!

goober
04-17-2008, 06:00 AM

Actually you left out the part that got her DQed. After she told the linesperson to take off her sunglasses she was not DQ'ed. The next point she said "You are so stupid" She claimed that she was saying it to herself (Does she normally speak to herself in English?). The linesperson went up to the chair umpire and she was DQed.

Remember also this was a junior tourney. DQs for bad behavior are handed out much more readily than they are on WTA/ATP events.

callitout
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Remember also this was a junior tourney. DQs for bad behavior are handed out much more readily than they are on WTA/ATP events.

Precisely, the difference between the WTA and ITF rules for dq's are analogous to the difference between swearing in English and Chinese: to call someone an a--hole in english is translated as saying that t his mother fornicates with animals in graphic detail.

cujays
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Doesn't Nadal have a girlfriend? my Gd the tennis circuit is like a soap opera, they are all serial daters.

I see it now though:

Nadal: Will you like go date with me?
Caroline: Yes.
Nadal: VAMOOOOOOOOS!

very funny

veroniquem
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
It's a rumor. Both players denied it was true.

Moose Malloy
04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Actually you left out the part that got her DQed. After she told the linesperson to take off her sunglasses she was not DQ'ed. The next point she said "You are so stupid" She claimed that she was saying it to herself (Does she normally speak to herself in English?). The linesperson went up to the chair umpire and she was DQed.

according to Jon Wertheim she called the umpire a f****** @sshole.

goober
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM

LOL I was going by her version of events:)

quest01
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM

Thats not right that she would be DQ'd just for swearing at the umpire or linesman. If she repeatedly harrased the linesman or umpire then this should be grounds for disqualification but just saying it once is harsh.

flyer
04-17-2008, 07:40 PM

wow the pretty face is deceiving

raiden031
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Thats not right that she would be DQ'd just for swearing at the umpire or linesman. If she repeatedly harrased the linesman or umpire then this should be grounds for disqualification but just saying it once is harsh.

I can't say I agree with this. If somebody is cussing like "this is F-in BS, that ball was in", I would be more lenient but if they called me an F-in A-hole, I would DQ them in a second because calling someone names is far more disrespectful than simply letting out some cuss words.

RealityPolice
04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
wow the pretty face is deceiving

What's odd about it--and why a lot of people are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt--is that it was completely out of character for Wozniacki, and evidently wasn't provoked by much. It would be like hearing Mary Joe Fernandez do the same thing (although I heard MJF use the S-word once!).

flyer
04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
What's odd about it--and why a lot of people are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt--is that it was completely out of character for Wozniacki, and evidently wasn't provoked by much. It would be like hearing Mary Joe Fernandez do the same thing (although I heard MJF use the S-word once!).

i guess i wouldn't want people to judge me on the dumbest thing i've ever done on a tennis court, so we'll let it slide

Tshooter
04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Day 6, 2006 US Open, court 5. It was the first match of the day on that court. At the same time Chakvetadze was playing Azarenka and Youzhny was playing Ferrer so I was moving between courts and didn't see the outburst. But when I came back and couldn't believe the match was over the few fans still there explained she was defaulted and said it was well deserved. I've seen CW a few times since (mostly losing) and I suspect it was out of character. I'm not excusing it at all; they should default any player for abusing an official but I think people should let it go. She was just a kid.

lethalfang
04-19-2008, 11:49 PM

How're those junior tournaments like? I mean, do you have to pay to watch the US Open Junior?
As for WTA/ATP, I certainly definitely do not pay to watch someone win by DQ.

goober
04-20-2008, 06:08 AM
How're those junior tournaments like? I mean, do you have to pay to watch the US Open Junior?
As for WTA/ATP, I certainly definitely do not pay to watch someone win by DQ.

Well I have never been to the US OPen Juniors so I don't know if you have to pay. It might be included as part of ground pass? All the other junior tournaments I have been to I have never paid to watch.

Tshooter
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
"How're those junior tournaments like? I mean, do you have to pay to watch the US Open Junior?"

The junior tournament starts during the second week of the main tournament so, yes, you have to pay because you can't get in otherwise.

As for buying a grounds pass, although the junior tournament is played on the smaller courts, the USO stops selling ground passes I believe on the second Tuesday so you have to buy the Ashe Stadium ticket to get in to the place from that day forward. With one huge exception. The boys and girls finals are played on the last Sunday, same day as the men's finals. And I think that the USO has been selling a $5 dollar ground pass for the last day for people that want to view the Men's final on a big screen (not go in the stadium) and you can then watch the junior finals too.

How are they? They get very sparse crowds. Mostly friends and family and some people strolling around the grounds. The finals get a bigger crowd because there is nothing else going on. The juniors finals start at around noon and the Men's final isn't until 430pm. Why do they play the girls and boys final at the same time? Beats me.

Tshooter
04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
PS, as for not watching to see a DQ. One of the most famous matches ever played at the US Open was between Nastase and McEnroe. And Nastase was DQ.

Read it here. I promise you would have paid to see it. (The DQ was rescinded.) Really tennis has never been as good as it was back then.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095338/index.htm

Katlion
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM

Well, I guess that it depends how she said it. If she said it normally, like a suggestion, then the fact that she was dq'ed was wrong. But if she said it in a way that she meant that he should put the glasses on in order to see better, or something in that matter, then she would have been rude... especially from a kid to her elder. So yeah, I guess that it would depend how she said it in order to determine what exactly she meant, by telling the line judge to put his glasses on.

goober
04-20-2008, 12:13 PM
This a quote of her version of what happened posted on her blog:

Hey Everybody,

Thanks again for all your comments!

Unfortunatly i got a bad start and ending in this years US Open:-(

Here comes the story:

I won the 1st set 6-4 and it was the beginning of the second set 1-2, when we had a loong rally and the ball was out at the baseline. But the line umpire didnt call it, so i told him to take his sunglases of. He got soo mad at me. And then the next ball i made a mistake and i said to my self: “your so stupid”, then the linesman just stood up and went directly to the main umpire and said that i called him some bad words.

9000tennis
04-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me Goober. I couldn't find it. I checked her blog too, and I could only find a short statement which said that she was dq'ed.

Another thing. I find it somewhat wierd that some people think she's a real hottie. Perhaps it's because she's been in the Danish news since she was 14 and therefore being faaaaar too young to even think of her being something else than a small girl, but I still can't see her as a babe.
But I'm really thankful that Denmark has another great tennis player. Hopefully this will have some effect on the young people and they will start playing tennis.