PDA

View Full Version : PSGD and Gosen OG Sheep reels, am I missing something?

origmarm
04-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Just looking at the reels on TW now for PSGD 17 and Gosen OG Micro 17.

1) Prince Syn Gut Duraflex 17:
- Reel (660ft) at $62
- Set (38ft) at $3.79 (38ft)
At 38ft a set that means you get 17 sets. 62/17 = 3.65 so you save 14 cents a stringjob by buying the reel or $2.38 over 17 stringjobs.

2) Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 17 Natural
- Reel (330ft) at $34.99
- Set (40ft) at $3.95
At 40ft a set that means you get 8 sets. $34.99/8 = $4.37 (!!). So you in fact lose 42 cents a stringjob by buying the reel

So I guess I must be missing something or else why would you buy reels of Gosen instead of just 8 sets?

For the 18g it's a 330 reel also and still you are at $3.49 vs $34.99 so you are losing even more per string job (88 cents).

What am I missing?

That and the saving for PSGD seems very little over 17 stringjobs. Clearly I am missing something....

themitchmann
04-17-2008, 04:42 AM
I don't buy reels...I prefer having a pre-measured sets. Of course, on smaller frames with less dense patterns, you don't need a full set to finish the job: some racquets need a total of 36feet instead of 48 or 40.. This is where the reels can save some cash. Nonetheless, you have to measure well to see the savings.

herosol
04-17-2008, 05:00 AM
What about the 660 Feet of OG Sheep 17?
Thats 29.99 for 660 ft....

Nuke
04-17-2008, 05:06 AM
What about the 660 Feet of OG Sheep 17?
Thats 29.99 for 660 ft....
But we're still arguing whether the 660' "generic" Micro is the same as the OG Sheep Micro in the 330' reels and individual sets. The battle rages on.

origmarm
04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Well if it's the same then that's a big difference and worth it but it just surprises me that for the same stuff i.e. branded the same it would be less cheap to buy in bulk...weird.

For the Prince it's more a case of it being a negligeable saving

YULitle
04-17-2008, 06:46 AM
See this is absolutely unacceptable. Why can't TW make some sort of distinction here. No one will settle this debate here about if they ARE or ARE NOT different. Perhaps I'll email TW.

origmarm
04-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Still even looking at the Prince I'm surprised that it's a whopping 14cents a stringjob saving...you'd think buying 17 at once would encourage a bit more of a discount.

supermario343
04-17-2008, 06:56 AM
See this is absolutely unacceptable. Why can't TW make some sort of distinction here. No one will settle this debate here about if they ARE or ARE NOT different. Perhaps I'll email TW.

we can always count on you YULitle :) whether its making stringings vids or asking Q's :D

nickb
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Get the $29.99 Gosen its a great string anyway!

Nick

hoodjem
04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Just looking at the reels on TW now for PSGD 17 and Gosen OG Micro 17.

Anyone tried this as a hybrid? Regardless of price, I bet it would make a very crisp combination!

flash9
04-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Still even looking at the Prince I'm surprised that it's a whopping 14cents a stringjob saving...you'd think buying 17 at once would encourage a bit more of a discount.

I agree! That is why for the one nationally ranked player we string for who insists on PSGD, we purchase the sets rather then the spool. This way when she goes to tournaments she can easily take extra sets if she needs to get her racquets restrung while away.

origmarm
04-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Anyone tried this as a hybrid? Regardless of price, I bet it would make a very crisp combination!

You mean with each other or with a poly? I imagine with each other it would just be like having a full job really...

Chauvalito
04-17-2008, 07:27 AM
It may that TW/Gosen/Prince are capitalizing on the popularity of the string.

Have the prices for the reels gone up recently in comparison to previous years?

MAX PLY
04-17-2008, 07:36 AM
I have always used sets. No measurement needed. Easy to store. Easy to transport a few sets to a tourney. Plus, I would much have a "bad" pack of string (e.g., damaged product) than a "bad" reel. In some cases (where one is stringing for the public), the "string card" in a package can provide the customer with some useful information. IMO, in most cases, the meager savings do not offset the hassle.

aussie
04-18-2008, 06:20 PM
I gotta say that I prefer sets for the one reason that I only have to make one measure and cut for the mains and the remainder is ample for the crosses. Beats having to measure out string for mains and crosses and make 2 cuts. Sure, it's only a small issue but if it makes it easier, I'm all for it.

Pusher
04-19-2008, 03:49 AM
Reels are almost always cheaper than using sets. With a 40ft set you throw away about 4ft every time you restring. With a reel you use what you need.

todot62
04-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Reels are almost always cheaper than using sets. With a 40ft set you throw away about 4ft every time you restring. With a reel you use what you need.

To comment on the original question about reels:

I agree with Pusher. The first time I string a racquet The MOST I'll reel off for a one piece on most any racquet will be 36'. I'll then measure what's extra, write it down, and the next time I string the racquet I'll use EXACTLY what I need and in most cases it's less than 36'. I can string my Vantage 95, for example with 32'. So that means I'll get 18-20 string jobs from a reel.

On the Gosen:

I have spoken with TW and they have ASSURED me that the OG-Generic and the OG-Branded are exactly the same string. The strange thing is that this last reel of Generic that I bought is actually Branded, or printed on the string. I also have an account with Gosen and can purchase the Branded for a couple of bucks less than TW's price for Generic, so $29 is about the right price. I've just never bought it because it's not worth the hassle or shipping. Now having said all of this, I've also never "officially" compared the Branded with the Generic either, but I am VERY happy with the Generic in quality and price. My wife could hit with any string she wanted and she chooses OG-Generic because she likes the crisp feel of the OG. IMHO, either Generic or Branded, it's a very good string.

Tod

origmarm
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok so realistically what we are saying is that because you don't really use 38-40ft a stringjob you actually get more stringjobs from the reel.

In the case of the Gosen it's just a good idea to buy the cheaper one because it's the same anyway.

Still I have to say I think the savings are pretty small considering you are buying almost 20 sets at once.