PDA

View Full Version : What made Sharapova a different player now?

yellowoctopus
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
What aspects of her game did she improve?

I don't get to watch her play enough to notice any difference.

daddy
04-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Arguably but her competition changed. I dont see her game changing that much.

bluetrain4
04-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Arguably but her competition changed. I dont see her game changing that much.

She got her serve back in order. It's not the greatest serve ever, but she can now consistently get some free points, and more importantly, she's not giving as many free points away with double faults. A secondary effect of this is that she's more confident. She's holding serve more, thus she can swing away more freely on her opponents serve.

Also, she's in better shape. She's not a great mover to begin with and she's not great on defense. But, getting to just a couple more shots to sustain a rally or being able to get just a few points after being on the defensive can make a huge difference when playing top players.

daddy
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
^^ Expected though, wouldn't you say ? We all knew she will sort out the serve one day. She did. It is the same serve though, just more reliable. As for the movement, it is more about the anticipation. But in my mind she has not come far from where she was and if she is taken to the limit serve problems may reoccur. She does need some tougher competition than she has to push her ..

Katlion
04-17-2008, 01:07 PM
She improved her footwork, her serve, and her endurance, IMO.

Say Chi Sin Lo
04-17-2008, 01:38 PM
she didnt... there's just more physically weaker bashers

princess bossass
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
She's added a touch more variety. The haters just won't admit it.

daddy
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
She's added a touch more variety. The haters just won't admit it.

So anyone who says anything, even neutral, about the girl is a hater ? Maybe I felt she was always good enough to win slams and be the nr1 but just needed to get her game together as she did ? I dont see any major changes to her game, other than - change in Henin's, Venuse's and Serena's games. Other girls are a no match except on clay, her worst surface. Clijsters not playing added to this.

Djokovicfan4life
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I've noticed that she comes in off of many short balls now. It's good to see from her. I like Sharapova myself, the screaming doesn't really bother me at all. :confused:

princess bossass
04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
So anyone who says anything, even neutral, about the girl is a hater ? Maybe I felt she was always good enough to win slams and be the nr1 but just needed to get her game together as she did ? I dont see any major changes to her game, other than - change in Henin's, Venuse's and Serena's games. Other girls are a no match except on clay, her worst surface. Clijsters not playing added to this.

No no no no no no no, I didn't mean anything specific about anyone in particular. It was a (too carelessly) tossed-off comment, not directed toward you personally, honestly. "The haters" I'm referring to probably wouldn't even know the saga of her shoulder, serve issues--they'd just call her (or any other flat-hitting baseliner) a dimensionless "mindless basher" and move on. It irritates me for the same reason that people shaking their heads at Chakvetadze's inconsistency this year irritates me--totally ignoring the facts of her robbery, assault, and apparent nerve-damage.

Honestly, I was shocked when I watched Sharapova play Justine at the AO. I know Justine certainly didn't help herself in that match, but I think the last match I'd seen Maria play was when she got her backside handed to her by Radwanska at the USO, and I felt like I was watching a different player. I just remember seeing a few backhand slice approach shots and being all :shock:whaaaat:shock::shock:.

Katlion
04-17-2008, 02:59 PM
You sure like to bash people for saying stuff you don't agree with, don't you?

daddy
04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
You sure like to bash people for saying stuff you don't agree with, don't you?

He he. This is not bashing by any means and 'people' said what they think about my 'bashing' just above your post. I just stated I kind of love her game and watching her overall and I thought it was directed towards me so I said this. I felt bashing was diretced towards me but I was wrong so it seems.

Btw - there is nothing wrong in defending your points.

princess bossass
04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Let's all shake hands?

daddy
04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Let's all shake hands?

Hmmm. Can I think this thru ?

;)

princess bossass
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Take all the time you need. This is, after all, serious business here. ;-)

daddy
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
(Handshake)

'Please smile to the photoreporters with a trophy high above your head' ...

:)

crawl4
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
only thing that seems better to me is her volleys but she still doesnt come in that much

anointedone
04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
She regained her serve and confidence which were both completely absent last year. Henin and Serena (except for Serena in Miami) are playing poorly for their standards so far this year, further aiding her. She has also improved her volleying and she seems to be moving better then ever.

paulmaben
04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I like the fact that she isn't afraid to come to the net anymore. I wish some of the other "big babes" would do a bit more of this.

sondraj
04-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Her variety has improve greatly all should use to be able to do was dictate points side to side from the middle of the court now she can blasts winners from anywhere on the court and she's pretty solid when she is at net which is rare but when she gets there she wins the points.

James
04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Her serve is back, her confidence is back, and her strongest competition are playing pretty awful at the moment. She has a bit more variety but saying that about her game is akin to saying you've salted and peppered on your food - the flavor's improved but it's not like the main course has changed.