PDA

View Full Version : Demo days

Yolkl
01-08-2005, 12:55 PM
In the ski biz, all the various reps will convene at the same ski area to let the public sample their newest offerings. Is this done in tennis ? You would think someone like TW could put something like this together and turn it into a gala extravaganza at a place like Amelia Island in the off-season. I'd pay good money to be able to demo and see if the guys on this board can actually play or whether they are like Kip in Napoleon Dynamite.

Craig Sheppard
01-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Yolkl, yes this is done but it depends on the dealer in your area. You should find either the local rep for the brand you're looking to demo, or contact all the authorized dealers in your area.

Only problem w/ TW doing it at Amelia Island...that's in Florida, TW is in California. ;-)

Yolkl
01-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Yolkl, yes this is done but it depends on the dealer in your area. You should find either the local rep for the brand you're looking to demo, or contact all the authorized dealers in your area.

Only problem w/ TW doing it at Amelia Island...that's in Florida, TW is in California. ;-)

Which is exactly why they should come...penetrate the East Coast market live and in-person. They seem to do the best job of anyone in the country marketing tennis products.

NoBadMojo
01-09-2005, 05:34 AM
i think this could be a great deal of fun. amelia island is a great location but off season would most likely be too chilly for those from the northlands seeking a beach sizzle. bausch and lomb tourney week might be the time...the spring weather is usually perfect, and people might enjoy watching the WTA babes play. about 80 degrees and no humidity. courts may be just a bit dicey to come by then though, but i think it could be arranged, depending on how large a group. would anyone enjoy meeting the good folks at TW, fellow posters, demo some of the newest bats, and otherwise yuck it up? thoughts anyone?

Yolkl
01-09-2005, 05:55 AM
i think this could be a great deal of fun. amelia island is a great location but off season would most likely be too chilly for those from the northlands seeking a beach sizzle. bausch and lomb tourney week might be the time...the spring weather is usually perfect, and people might enjoy watching the WTA babes play. about 80 degrees and no humidity. courts may be just a bit dicey to come by then though, but i think it could be arranged, depending on how large a group. would anyone enjoy meeting the good folks at TW, fellow posters, demo some of the newest bats, and otherwise yuck it up? thoughts anyone?

Having it during the B&L might be too much of a good thing. It could turn into a Bike Week for tennis players. Bartender, I'll take another White Russian.

Craig Sheppard
01-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Mojo,

If that were to happen, count me in. Demo days are a great, great idea IMO. Many times I just want to feel a racquet, and would only need to hit with it 5 or 10 times (2 minutes!) to know whether I hate it or it merits further review. I've probably ordered 8 or 10 demos from TW, many of which I knew in 2 minutes that it was a mistake.

Doing it during a WTA tournament is a great idea--but has its up- and downsides. Upside is it gives everyone a reason to go, if it was bundled with a ticket say. Not everyone would travel just to hit with racquets. Downsides would be cost and like you said court availability. It would probably be cost prohibitive to reserve 1 or 2 courts for a day or half a day during a tournament (if you did it on the grounds). I've never been there so I don't know their setup. If there were 20 or 30 courts or something in the complex, that'd probably work then. Plus, I would think at this point in time wouldn't everything be set in stone? Doubt you could get in with something like this now... maybe next year?

The only problem I'd see about a demo day from TW's point of view is financial worth. A lot of people would just demo racquets and not buy any, or buy them elsewhere. TW would probably have to charge admission to the "event"... which is not a bad thing, and I think it's fully justified. Usually skiing demo days (original example) are free...

As a side note, I went to an REI kayaking demo day last year. It was awesome--about 30 boats lined up on shore, take out whichever you want. There were expert paddlers out in the bay to make sure no one went out to far and to "rescue" newbies who fell in. Loads of fun all around. They had a lot of reps on hand to answer questions.

I could see TW doing something similar--a few TW reps on a few courts overseeing things, loads of racquets. For 4.0+ players, maybe have 5 or 10 minute testing intervals (sign-up hitting session) with someone at a similar level... or maybe one or two higher-level volunteers to feed balls to lower-level testers if they'd rather do that. How about "free" (cost incl. in event price) TW t-shirt to wear around the grounds to advertise too? ;-)

HEY TW! I'd volunteer....

Doesn't TW already do something at the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells? They might just be present on-site and not do a demo day kind of thing.

Craig

Craig Sheppard
01-09-2005, 06:00 AM
BTW, those racquet companies that are in the ski biz would know who to call to organize these kids of events... Head, Volkl, Fischer...

Yolkl
01-09-2005, 06:13 AM
To me, court availability, cost, and lodging considerations would outweigh the benefits of watching the B&L. Staying on-site would be huge for me. A better option might be to have our own tournament on a slow weekend.
Now that would provide some fodder for talk tennis ! We could start a sign-up thread to see who would come.Let the sandbagging begin.

NoBadMojo
01-09-2005, 09:44 AM
craig i think it could be done. would depend on the interest level of TW of course, but TW and the racquet companies are sure interested in selling stuff. of course people would have to pay their own way, but it wouldnt necesssarily have to be a super expensive thing. there's lots of things you can do that might be interesting...i've had lots of fun doing a 'wine and wood' exhibition match..play w. the woodies and pop some corks (preferably afterwards). we could also throw in a kayak adventure for those who might like something untennis since you mention that...by the way did you buy a boat? i've got a Wilderness Systems Sealution touring kayak that I really enjoy along with a wooden paddle (so i am even liking wood in a paddle) :O and kayaking really seems to build your core and also the upper body area which helps the serve especially..a nice form of cross training.