PDA

View Full Version : How does big banger play?

faizan
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I was just about to order some luxilon big banger strings orignal 16L one. Just wanted to find out from any who has the string on how they play, stuff like do they die quick like i read that polys do, are they better for the baseline or net. basically what are the pros and cons of those type of strings?

faizan
04-17-2008, 03:08 PM
also how d the babolat multis play, ive heard they are pretty good too.

faizan
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
since i dont break strings so often, if one of the two strings above are not the right ones then what string do you guys recommend for best playability, by the way, i play high school JV just incase anyone wanted to know for recommending me something.

xpaulinabearx
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
the big bangers aren't that great. they're pretty stiff for abut 2 hours, but then have a great play. i wouldn't really reccomend them. i'd go for the big acee

Babb
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
paulinabear, it was only maybe a week ago that I educated you on the two. Have you used either yet...?

ledor
04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
i still have a reel of 660 Original Big Banger and i want to toss it so bad. Its still stiff even at 50 lbs. It does however benefit string breakers as it doesn't move and has incredible durability. But, in other areas such as touch, feel, comfort...stay away. Or use it in a hybrid with a soft string. Try a 17g poly and there are cheaper alternatives like the TOPSPIN Brand.

xpaulinabearx
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
paulinabear, it was only maybe a week ago that I educated you on the two. Have you used either yet...?

yeah !
both of them
i like the big ace better.
the big banger..i don't know, it doesn't really feel right to me.

Loco4Tennis
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
i still have a reel of 660 Original Big Banger and i want to toss it so bad. Its still stiff even at 50 lbs. It does however benefit string breakers as it doesn't move and has incredible durability. But, in other areas such as touch, feel, comfort...stay away. Or use it in a hybrid with a soft string. Try a 17g poly and there are cheaper alternatives like the TOPSPIN Brand.

would you want to trade or sell, ive never strung with that stuff but i would like to try it, let me know, my email is listed

Babb
04-17-2008, 06:19 PM
yeah !
both of them
i like the big ace better.
the big banger..i don't know, it doesn't really feel right to me.
I was just making sure that you weren't simply relaying what I said. But I am sorry to have doubted you! :D

I like Big Ace better too. And if you don't like Luxilon in the first couple hours, there's no reason whatsoever to buy it since it only gets worse. Out of curiosity, what color did you try? I have heard that different colors can affect the string somehow. I don't really believe this, but still. I went with the red.

Stchamps
04-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I left mine in for a few months (I'm a recreational player). From what I remember they're fairly low on power compared to my previous synthetic gut string. The nice thing about them is they don't break or move.

t0nym4c
04-17-2008, 06:46 PM
You should only use big banger if you can bang to ball immensely.

xpaulinabearx
04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I was just making sure that you weren't simply relaying what I said. But I am sorry to have doubted you! :D

I like Big Ace better too. And if you don't like Luxilon in the first couple hours, there's no reason whatsoever to buy it since it only gets worse. Out of curiosity, what color did you try? I have heard that different colors can affect the string somehow. I don't really believe this, but still. I went with the red.

haha, it's okay :D
i got the white. But i'm thinking of getting the neon color and red :D

faizan
04-18-2008, 03:29 AM

i read in a previous thread that by the time polys break in they are dead and no good any more.

Babb
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
^^^^
That is true. I've started getting my polyester cut out long before it breaks because I've gotten really sensitive about my strings after trying out a few different combinations.

pmerk34
04-18-2008, 09:29 AM
You should only use big banger if you can bang to ball immensely.
HAHa.. MY brother whom I play with frequently does just that with immense topspin. This string is insane for a heavy topsinner with a western grip. The harder and longer he swings the more control he gets. It's amazing...balls that were flying long are now dropping a foot in.. Very bad for me though.

Babb
04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
^^^
All polyester strings are for "big bangers". Which is why they're not recommended for beginners.

Babb
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
i read in a previous thread that by the time polys break in they are dead and no good any more.
It's not that instantaneous. The break-in time for me is really only about fifteen minutes. Lol. And they stay pretty good for about 10 hours for me. It really depends on your sensitivity to string. When I first started using Luxilon, I couldn't tell the difference between having it freshly strung and just before it lost all tension.

But your comment is probably directed for the most part towards Luxilon. It's supposed to go dead faster than its competition.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-18-2008, 01:26 PM
It bangs!----

Pusher
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I was just about to order some luxilon big banger strings orignal 16L one. Just wanted to find out from any who has the string on how they play, stuff like do they die quick like i read that polys do, are they better for the baseline or net. basically what are the pros and cons of those type of strings?

Who has BB Original in a 16L?

Anyhow, they're expensive and if you're not really pounding the crap out of the ball you're wasting your money. If you are busting it then these strings and a few select others are what you want.

If you're pounding the ball the BB Original will go 3-5 hours before they give up and die-its a Belgian thing. Expect tension loss but the playability is still pretty good throughout-my opinion.

Mansewerz
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Are all Big banger strings polyester?

Babb
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure all Luxilon is polyester.

faizan
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure all Luxilon is polyester.

No i luxilon is multifilament.

nickb
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Luxilon is not a poly. Its a poly-ether-ether. Luxilon claims thats why it costs more. I agree with Luxilon that nothing plays like luxilon strings...they are unique..once you start using them nothing else feels as good.

Nick

nickb
04-18-2008, 02:46 PM
No i luxilon is multifilament.

Hell no...

Loco4Tennis
04-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Luxilon is not a poly. Its a poly-ether-ether. Luxilon claims thats why it costs more. I agree with Luxilon that nothing plays like luxilon strings...they are unique..once you start using them nothing else feels as good.

Nick

i second this statement as well, this information is right on the website for this string
i like to think as luxilon as a combination between a poly string and a synthetic gut
hard to break like a poly
low power like a poly, but also has more power then the standard 100% poly string,
so in reality, best of both worlds, and since they know it, its why they charge so much for it

Zhou
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
i second this statement as well, this information is right on the website for this string
i like to think as luxilon as a combination between a poly string and a synthetic gut
hard to break like a poly
low power like a poly, but also has more power then the standard 100% poly string,
so in reality, best of both worlds, and since they know it, its why they charge so much for it

Yeah but it is quite stiff though... I bought a set of ultimate duo. I will string it up likely in May. I have tried full TiMO, it is quite stiff but provided great control and some decent feel but a whole lot of power.

faizan
04-18-2008, 08:29 PM
If i was looking for the best control and feel and i amazing power that obviously so many of you have said was not a concern, should i be looking into natural gut, i hear they are really amazing.

vndesu
04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
why not hybrid the natural gut on luxion?
champs setup consists of that

tsmcauliffe
04-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Hey Ledor, that real of BB Original, do you still have it? If so, I'll take it off your hands for you.

tsmcauliffe
04-18-2008, 08:43 PM

He's not a champ.

vndesu
04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
it was just suggesting.

wildbill88AA
04-18-2008, 09:03 PM
don't think i could play with 16, bit 18 feels great in a hybrid.

Loco4Tennis
04-19-2008, 04:39 AM
If i was looking for the best control and feel and i amazing power that obviously so many of you have said was not a concern, should i be looking into natural gut, i hear they are really amazing.

it better be at $35 a set, too expensive for me to mess with

this setup or hybrid is expensive to say the least, but it is also not for everyone,
ive heard that federrer uses this, gut mains and lux crosses, when i tried something similar to this, a low cost version, synthetic gut mains and poly crosses, my hand strated to hurt after wards, thats because all the feel that the crosses get, go straight to your hand because of the stiff poly strings, if you like to volley, this is a bad cobination IMO because of that

faizan
04-19-2008, 05:45 AM
this setup or hybrid is expensive to say the least, but it is also not for everyone,
ive heard that federrer uses this, gut mains and lux crosses, when i tried something similar to this, a low cost version, synthetic gut mains and poly crosses, my hand strated to hurt after wards, thats because all the feel that the crosses get, go straight to your hand because of the stiff poly strings, if you like to volley, this is a bad cobination IMO because of that

one thing that you are not getting is that natural gut is much easier on you unlike synthetic gut, so if you really want to experiment with it i suggest that you go for the one try of thiry bucks instead using similar strings.